WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Durango
SW Florida
“Nice and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was nights 11 and 12 of a 20 day road trip. We chose the hotel because it was right next to the Durango and Silverton train station. The property was clean, jammed in tight among other buildings, the room was nice. We reserved one month in advance directly to the motel via phone and requested the ground floor. The AAA discount was applied and we were assigned to room 219 on the second floor. The front desk support was excellent and Keith directed us to two great restaurants and gave us coupons for free beverages. The parking was free and we walked one block to the train station. Thursday charge was $128.57 and Friday $148.35. Both breakfasts were good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmcha, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate the acknowledgement of Keith. He is a great caring employee along with all the members of my staff. I am very blessed. I am glad that you enjoyed the location and the amenities that the hotel has to offer. We love having AAA guests stay with us. We really appreciate their support and they keep us on our toes!! I can't say enough about how much the positive feedback means to all of us here. We really strive to have a great product and offer great service.

We all hope that you had a great road trip and that you enjoyed Durango.

Mary Kay Dobson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Niwot, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We are repeat guests at the Best Western Rio Grande. I grew up in Durango, so we come back to visit family several times a year. We have stayed all over town over the years, and finally found our home-away-from-home at the Rio Grande. The service is always excellent and management always treats us right when it comes to the price. Durango is an expensive place to visit, no lie, but they throw in lots of value-added services to make you feel better. Excellent breakfast is provided, and we always enjoy the cocktail hour by the pool in the evening. Something for everyone! The Rio Grande is walking distance to all downtown Durango has to offer, and is a great jumping off spot for all your Durango activities. Book confidently!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Camarillo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent one night in Durango Colorado for work and arrived at the Durango Best Western feeling beat up by the 5 hour drive to get there. The front desk was quick and helpful when I asked about dinner places. The room was clean the bed was nice and the room had a view of the mountain. They could use an update as everything was pretty old in there but overall a good place to crash.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the kind review. We do have a great product and we appreciate that you took the time to fill out to write this review. We have location, clean rooms, and offer a great breakfast and free cocktails. The staff is also very efficient and caring. We are in the process of upgrading the rooms. We have replaced most of the beds, and about a third of the room carpet. We have also redone about a third of the bathrooms. We are planning other improvements in the fall once it slows down a bit.

We all hope that you had a great time in Durango and again, we appreciate the kind words.

Highland, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel reminds me of the type of hotel that I stayed in as a kid in the 1970s. In fact, I would have been excited to stay at a hotel this nice back then. The layout with exterior corridors, open stairs, and the indoor atrium pool surrounded by rooms all remind me of this time. The dark brick, tiny lobby, and chlorine smell do as well. I thought it was fun, but it won't please everyone, Hotel design has changed a lot over the past 40 years.

The layout is obviously here to stay, but there are a few areas where the hotel could really improve. The beds and pillows are okay, but they could be better. The furnishings and decor are due for an upgrade. We stayed in one of the double queen suites. The bedroom didn't have a single picture or decoration. Just stark white walls. That reminded me of Motel 6. For $300 a night, the hotel should do better. The living room featured inexpensive furnishings that weren't overly comfortable but, unlike the bedroom, some attempt had been made to make it attractive.

The air conditioning units in both the bedroom and living room need replacing. The one in the bedroom blows right across the beds, and the one in the living room blows right across the couch. The vents don't adjust enough to send the air flow up or down so that you can be comfortable either sitting on the couch or in bed. In addition, even the lowest fan speed is too high and makes quite a roar. The air conditioning is a key reason for my low score. It really affected the enjoyment of our stay.

The unusual drapes on the window panels are another item that needs to be upgraded. They allow in very little outside light even when "open". You have to see them to understand, but they don't open very far. This is maybe okay for the atrium rooms to provide more privacy, but outside light is highly desired in an exerior facing room like the suites.

Finally, the rates charged should be enough to cover the cost of individual yogurt cartons at breakfast. Having a big communal bowl of yogurt for guests to dip into is just not appealing. This hotel has much higher rates than a typical Best Western. I think it should deliver a higher level of service as well.

On a brighter note, the staff is friendly, and the location is fantastic. It's an easy walk to the train depot and all over Durango's lively downtown. The hotel is also very clean. There are some positives here, but I can't recommend this hotel. Some of the other reviews are a bit too glowing based on my experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gmcha, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I again apologize that you were disappointed in your stay. We did replace all the case goods in the rooms 2 years ago as well as adding new TV's and upgraded linen. I am sorry that you were disappointed in the owner's choices. I will address the a/c problem that you had. We will see if we can redirect the vents. Most of the units have some flexibility as to the direction of the air but I am not sure why there was a challenge with the 2 in your room. I am happy that you enjoyed the staff and the location. We all hope that you had fun in Durango and that you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Plano, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Best Western "Plus" Rio Grande Inn was a well managed hotel and the rooms were large and well appointed. The staff were friendly and helpful and the free breakfast buffet was very large for a hotel of this type. A minor gripe -- the English muffin was stale, but that is my only complaint with the free buffet. As a bonus, downtown Durago and the narrow-gage train are within easy walking distance. As you probably know, the Best Western brand is not like the upscale big hotel chains; all of them are a little different are often not as modern. However, for your next trip to Durango, CO, you will not be disappointed with this hotel. Google directions before you arrive, although located in the heart of Durango, the hotel is not easy to find.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for the review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize about the English muffin. I will have my staff make sure to watch the product better. We go through stuff so fast this time of year that it should always be fresh. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. We hope that you had a great time in Durango and will consider us again in your future travels to the Durango area!

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great location for accessing downtown Durango (where parking can be a challenge). Just a few minutes to the train and the train museum.

Another positive--indoor pool. Great place for my kids to cool off and get out of the sun. Was a bit of a chlorine overload.

Service was good. Not luxury hotel gracious, but efficient and sometimes even friendly.

Rooms are old-school motel rooms. They are basic and acceptably clean, but worn and dated.

Bathrooms are small. My sink was clogged when we checked it but quickly remedied after a call to the front desk.

Breakfast--here is where I start to sound like a snobn(if I haven't already), my apologies. But I am spoiled by fantastic, fresh and high-quality European hotel breakfasts where the whole-grain breads are baked on-site along with the croissants; eggs are cooked to order and served with a variety of cheeses and cured meats; and there is yogurt! So an American-style breakfast where the bread and pastries are not fresh, the scrambled eggs are probably powdered and everything is packaged, processed food--well, at least they had Cheerios for my kids.

Stay here for the location, just don't expect much else.

Room Tip: We had a room on the back side, bottom floor--it was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
gmcha, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your review! We were happy to host the "Ride the Rockies" bikers here and in the town of Durango! It is great fun to have you come through our city. I am very happy that you enjoyed all the hotel has to offer. Please come back and stay with us when you just want to ride on your own without the group!! We would love to have you back.

Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here whilst doing bike tour ride the rockies. Fantastic location, 2 mins walk from all of downtown restaurants and stores. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were large and clean, although the room did feel a little dark as I had to close the curtains as facing the pool. Pool was busy with kids but closes at 9pm so noise was not a problem. Great breakfast, and staff great at refillling items.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the great review. We were happy to have the participants for Ride the Rockies stay with here at the hotel. It is a great event and we look forward to seeing everyone again in 2 years. We do have a lot to offer with location, breakfast, cocktails and a friendly, helpful staff. Please come and stay with us again even when you are not riding through on your bike. We would love to have you back.