“A nice place to stay”

Best Western Mountain Shadows
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed July 12, 2011

In June we stayed at the Durango Best Western Mountain shadows for 5 days. The hotel was older but still fairly nice, the room seemed to have been remodeled a few years back. Everything was great from the room to the people working there. The only real complaint we had about it was that the air conditioner was as loud as a locomotive, in fact with the volume up high we could barely hear the TV over it, and it was too hot to live without it. On the whole we did enjoy our stay at this hotel and will stay here next time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank N7873N
There are newer reviews for Best Western Mountain Shadows

Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed here on our way to Mesa Verde. We were given a 2nd floor room. The doors opened to the outside, which is great in the summer time. The pool was across the parking lot, however I felt safe allowing my kids to walk there.
The dome pool was pretty neat. We spent most of our time there and the kids enjoyed it. The stone around the hot tub is a great atmosphere for relaxing.
The hotel had no capacity so when we got back from supper, there was no place to park. One guest had taken up two spots and the hotel manager did not make them move. The motorcyclists took up a car space and did not utilize the motorcycle spots. We had to park next to the two spot person, and then move our car in the morning so it did not get hit.
We did not eat the cold cereal breakfast that was provided.
No bed bugs

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Sayed here while going on the train journey to silverton. it was clean and tidy the shower was a bit fierce as it needed descaling but the poool and hot tub made up for this. good breakfast

2  Thank DebAndy1
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We only were there for 1 night, but we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the room decor. Rooms were very nice and clean, beds were comfortable, and the staff was friendly and very helpful. You do have to walk across the parking lot to get to the pool, but it was also nicely maintained. Great value for the money.

1  Thank TexasMountainLovers
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Not cheap, but fair priced for what you get.

Traveling for two weeks we were starting to get accomodated to wooden buildings you hear every noise from neighboring rooms, not so here.

Nice Staff, good breakfast, Indoor pool, spacious room.

Reviewed August 13, 2010

I stayed in the Durango Super 8 last year (which wasn't the greatest experience-they are going downhill), and did extensive research on the hotels in Durango prior to booking a room for another visit. Since the prices of rooms anywhere in Durango are outrageous, most of the hotel chains I am used to were out of the question. My employer also has a maximum on how much I could spend for a hotel, which was $130. The normal hotels I stay at elsewhere in the $70-$100 range are in the $150-$200 range in Durango.

After seeing nearly all the hotels in Durango at or below my price range had both positive and negative reviews, and nothing outshined the rest, I pretty much took a shot at this older hotel and hoped for the best. I booked a room for $129.

The arrival experience was very pleasant. The hotel exterior was clean and well kept. It was inviting and modern enough looking, and did not look run down at all. The little domed swimming pool was busy, and although I did not swim while there, appeared very attractive. The check in clerks were very friendly and check in was perfect and hassle free.

I asked for a room on the first floor when I booked the room a couple months prior, and was pleased to see my wish was granted. The room itself was pretty good size, and appeared to have been updated within the past couple of years. The furniture was of good quality, relatively new, and in good shape. The bed was comfortable with comfortable pillows. The room was more or less clean. A couple of spots were not dusted, but generally speaking, it was clean. The couch had a roll out bed in it, which although I did not use, could be a plus if you have kids. The room also had a microwave, refrigerator, and in room coffee.

The TV was decent size and in good shape, with a good selection of cable channels, including several Spanish channels and cartoon type channels (this may be important to some). The buttons on the remote were worn out, and it was hard to change channels, but not a major inconvenience.

The air conditioner worked pretty good, and was largely quiet on the low cool setting. I put it on high cool initially to cool the room down, and the noise level was annoying, but after it cooled off, I kept it on low cool for the remainder of my visit, and it was fine. Although the hotel is right against a busy street (Hwy. 550), there was little street noise heard from my room.

The bathroom area was in good shape, and was furnished well with updated and modern fixtures. The only thing old was the shower head. The water pressure was a bit weak, but acceptable. If they had an energy saving shower head, the shower pressure would have been better.

The only thing I would consider a negative of any significance about my stay was the wi-fi internet was slow most of the time. This caused my time on the internet to be unpleasant. Fortunately, I didn't need to spend much time on the net, but if I would have needed to do business on the net in my room, it would have been a more significant negative.

The parking lot, although initially didn't seem to be terribly small when I got there, was packed by late evening, and cars were overflowing to the point where it would be significantly difficult to move a large pickup or similar vehicle around in it. Those with large RVs or vehicles with trailers would probably have difficulty if they did not arrive early, and leave late. I had a difficult time backing out of my spot (with my longbed truck) in the morning due to the overflow parking situation. The lot was jam packed, and there is nothing they can do about it, due to a lack of space. The lot was fairly well lit at night. I think they could use a couple more floodlights on the north end of the lot, but I've seen worse.

The breakfast experience was pleasant. They had the basics, yogurt, donuts, bagels, hard boiled eggs, waffles, cereal, etc. The dining area was clean and well tended to by staff members.

They had an express checkout with the receipt under my door in the morning. Many chains are doing this these days, and it makes for a fast exit, versus standing in line, or waiting for the clerks to print up receipts, etc.

Overall, my experience was great, and it turned out the hotel experience was one of the better parts of my business trip to Durango this year, especially considering for several months I had no idea if I had made a mistake or not when booking a room there. Although this is an older property, it was clear the owners have dumped a fair amount of money into updating the rooms and keeping the property in good shape. As I stated in the review title, I was pleasantly surprised, and will likely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank BigMountainTraveler
Reviewed May 17, 2010

What a great motel! We stayed there two nights. The room was big. It was clean and had updated amenities. Friendly staff. Nice breakfast. Free internet.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple