“Best staff I've encountered” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Durango Inn & Suites

BEST WESTERN Durango Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Durango
waldoboro, maine
“Best staff I've encountered”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had the good fortune to work with Dustin at this hotel. He was incredible...helping us with information that was right on target, arranging things for our needs at the hotel, friendly and just a great guy. The hotel was fine, but this service bumped it up for us. Thanks Dustin!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite.....really a big difference in the whole experience!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
goosealina, Manager at BEST WESTERN Durango Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We will pass along your comments to Dustin. He is one among many of our superstars. Thank you for your business. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited Durango to ride the Durango Silverton Train and to visit Mesa Verde. The BW Durango was conveniently located to the train and was a reasonable drive to Mesa Verde.

The room was a very good size, neat clean ad well maintained.

There is a restaurant, Christina's Bar & Grill, on the property. Please see the review for that property.

The hotel is pricey, even for the Durango area, but we would stay here again.

• 4 of 5 stars
goosealina, Owner at BEST WESTERN Durango Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your valuable input. We know for certain that such details are so helpful to other travelers when choosing a lodging facility. We look forward to seeing you again and appreciate your time and efforts in submitting a review.
Huaraz, Peru
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

First of all, I booked this hotel because I needed to get some work done while visiting my sister. She has a crowded apartment and I would have slept on the couch, but I decided I would rather have a bed and a desk with internet to get work done. I was sorely mistaken. I thought for $135/night plus tax, I would have gotten internet that would have at least let me connect to gmail. I couldn't even connect to the basic HTML version of it! I couldn't load my work email, couldn't load basic websites to book air travel, and to top it off, the cell service was very spotty for me. After contacting the front desk about the issue, they had no clue what to do. The wireless network signal was very weak and even when connected, it was slower than 56K. Not once was any sort of other option was given to me, such as a cable to connect to the wall or a different location/room.

That was the worst part, but the ineptitude and overall bad demeanor of the front desk staff also didn't make it a welcome visit. When interacting with the front desk during my stay, I was not greeted with a smile or hello, and the staff seemed like they didn't want to be there. When checking in, the young man acted as if I was keeping him from something more interesting and just wanted to get me out of there. One night, I left my key in my room and went to the front desk to get some help about 11:00 pm. No one was there, and the front door had notes on it for late arrivals to call for check-in. The hotel advertised 24-hour service at the front desk, so this was very frustrating for me. I called and no one answered for about 5 minutes. I tried the door and it was unlocked, so I went in. No one was around the front desk, so I walked around the back and into all the office rooms to find someone. I couldn't find anyone anywhere. Luckily, someone else was trying to book a room that night and helped me find the night manager room, where the guy on duty was asleep on the couch watching the TV and couldn't hear the phone or us yelling for him. About 11:30 he was able to get me another key so I could get to my room.

There were so many things wrong with the layout of the room as well, such as the AC in the bathroom instead of the front of the unit. But I did have a good sleep, so the room wasn't that awful. Just for the price I paid for the room, I expected a lot more. There is a Holiday Inn and a Residence Inn down the road that I will stay in next time I visit my sister. I will not stay in this Best Western again, and I am leaving a review on Trip Advisor so the manager of the hotel has some idea of how his staff is not helping the rate he charges.

Room Tip: Choose one near the front desk. The ones in the back don't have heat/AC in the same room as the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
We are so very grateful for your valuable input and appreciate your assuring that we are aware of the issues you experienced. As you are aware, we have received your comments through our Best Western Survey department as well. We are disturbed, mostly by your customer services issues. As you can see by the plethora of other surveys, poor customer service is not our modus operandi. We take pride in our work as a team, and regret that someone let the team down. We have identified the individual involved and have already begun our coaching and counseling. In addition, we have many resolution options for the internet service and are disappointed that none of them were executed. We sincerely hope you do not choose to stay at either competitor in the future and hope you will return to the Best Western Durango Inn and Suites so you can experience our traditional service and charm.
Anytown, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while stopping in Durango on our way to Mesa Verde. We really enjoyed the room- it was nice and clean, had a comfy bed, and everything worked properly (plenty of hot water, etc). Also, it was not too far from Mesa Verde- about an hour drive. There were some really chatty people in the parking lot one morning, which made it hard to sleep in. But, that's the only gripe. Breakfast was pleasant: make-your-own-waffle station, hot sausages, cereal, coffee, juice, milk, little muffins, apples and oranges. Just to be clear- this is about a mile from downtown Durango. The walk definitely is do-able if you have the time or inclination (there is a sidewalk most of the way), but otherwise plan to drive back and forth.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your feedback. We are grateful for your comments and look forward to seeing you again.
Groveland, Florida, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

everything was very nice - always happy to stay at a best western hotel. your location was very good for us since we were going on the railroad trip. the people working in the hotel were very helpful and pleasant

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

San Juan Capistrano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spent the night prior to riding the Durango-Silverton Train. The room was spacious, clean and modern. Hot tub was good and in a nice relaxing outdoor location. The breakfast in the morning was hot and ample. We will stay again.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much. We cannot wait to see you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. The location is convenient and the outside dining area is beautiful. The breakfast provided by the hotel is good and filing. The staff person who attends the breakfast is a sweetheart and very talkative and helpful. However, as another reviewed commented, in some of the rooms (the ones close to the pool) there is a serious design flaw in the AC unit placement. It is located in the back of the room by the bathroom in an area that is awkward and blocks air flow. We had the AC cranked, but the room never cooled. We had to open the windows in the front and back of the room which kept us nice and cool, but made me feel a bit unsafe as the front window is right beside one if the beds and at the same height level. I would recommend this establishment, but I urge you to request a room with the AC in the front of the room.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Your feedback is so much appreciated by the staff and management. We agree the cooling system in some rooms is flawed and regret that you felt unsafe or that your stay was less than you expected. We hope, however, that on your next trip, you will consider staying with us again. We have 8 differ room types that do not have the cooling system located in the back and hope you will consider one of our suites on a future stay. We are happy that there were other aspects that you enjoyed and will forward your comments. Our staff love to hear feedback. Again, thank you.