WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Mutu's Italian Kitchen

Mutu's Italian Kitchen
Ranked #19 of 185 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cleveland, Mississippi
“Mixed reviews on this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

We read the mixed reviews before we went and decided to brave it. Some in our party thought the food was great. My husband said his chicken marsala was cold. The eggplant parmesan was excellent. We felt sorry for the waiter. He was very nice and the only one waiting tables. He told us the kitchen had just added new staff, and they were still learning the ropes. This definitely affected the service we received. They forgot my husband's soup (but the waiter comped the soup since they forgot) and took forever to mix a mojito for him. It is a nice atmosphere on the inside, but the music they played was awful. You would think it would have had a more Italian flare for the environment than the style of music they played. I don't even know what genre of music it was, but it did not fit. Hopefully their kitchen staff will get their act together before the summer crowds arrive.

Visited April 2014

Bowling Green, Ohio
“Most consistent eatery in Durango”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Never had a bad meal here. The entrées are always good as are the salads especially the caprese. Plus they've got easily the best dessert in town in the brownie with blueberry reduction.

• Visited April 2014
Houston, Texas
“Charismatic Service that Outshines Amazing Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Came in after Valentine's with my husband and five other friends and had the most sincere, naturally humorous server we have ever encountered. Her name was Grier. I was a little nervous she would have trouble accommodating us since we were eating upstairs but I swear she treated us like royalty even though she had to punish herself by running several flights of stairs to do it. We unfortunately live in Texas so we can't make another appearance but I will always remember how much we enjoyed our time there. Make sure first that you request Grier and second, order the Mahi!!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Debra C
“The good and the not-so-good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

I dined at Mutu's last night and the upside was that this place is so clean and open and welcoming and the staff is very friendly. The wine that Aaron suggested was very, very good and his attentiveness was very good too. The bread and garlic spread were good. I ordered the lasagna and I wasn't thrilled. My companion had the eggplant parmesan and seemed happy with it. This was only my second visit to Mutu's, but neither visit thrilled me.

• Visited February 2014
Colorado Springs
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Let’s start with the positives – We made reservations for 10 for 6:00 pm on a Saturday night. Four of us arrived at 5:35 pm and the table was ready to go – great. We headed upstairs and my family gathered at the one end of the table and I ordered a beer from a very uninterested waiter. At 6:05, the rest of our group showed up and were seated. This ends the positive remarks….

Not so positive remarks –
When the rest of the family showed up, we changed chairs (not tables, just chairs) to allow the kids to sit at one end and the adults to sit at the other end – very common practice when eating with kids.
When the waiter arrived, he asked me if we will be splitting the check – I said yes – we will have two checks. He immediately started to lecture me on “how we changed seats” and “since we changed seats he cannot accommodate splitting the check”??
I asked why changing chairs is making this so difficult – he stated loudly “because you ordered a bunch of drinks and it messes everything up since I have everyone in your family assigned in the system.” I asked a beer and a margarita is a BUNCH of drinks??
He refused to split the checks if we did not return to our original assigned chairs?? I offered to close out my bill and open a new one! He stated – yea that will work and left.
Needless to say I was steaming mad.
He took our order for food and then we waited about 40 minutes and no food, no bread refills, no waiter.
When he did appear another person in our party politely asked him “about how much longer since we had to get on the train at 7:55”, he snapped back and told our group of 10 of us to look around – we are busy and the kitchen is slammed.
Once the food arrived around 7:05, he did come by and asked how the food was – we asked for a refill on a root beer and about 5 minutes later he came back with no root beer. We asked again and he stated the following (not kidding) – “I am a terrible waiter and I should quit tonight.”
I totally agree!
These are the types of places that rely on tourists to continue to keep them in business. Thank god for Trip Advisor and if we all avoid this place maybe, just maybe we can send a message. We all work hard for our money – avoid donating it here.

• Visited December 2013