“Good asian food in Southwest”
Review of East by Southwest

East by Southwest
Reserve with OpenTable
East by Southwest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: East College and 2nd Ave.
Description: A taste of the Far East in the heart of the Southwest. We create vibrant fusion cuisine rooted in the flavors of Japan & the Pacific Rim. We are proud to serve all organic meats & poultry, such as American Kobe, Kurobuta Pork, & Natural Black Angus Beef. At our sushi bar enjoy cutting edge sushi & sashimi made from the best quality seafood & fresh line caught fish from Hawaiian waters. Our menu offers many tantalizing small dishes. We encourage you to order a variety of them and share amongst your table.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Always challenged w/sushi menus because of wide choices and
so-so memory. This place came highly recommended and I
am glad I found it! Miso, nori rolls and other tasty tidbits made me a "happy camper".

Reviewed October 26, 2012

SurprisIng selection of sushi. Fresh ingredients, artistically presented. Good for groups to share items and allow experimenting with new choices. I recommend the hamachi with chili sauce and any of the fruit flavored mojitos.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our family went to East by Southwest for dinner. Everyone loved the food including two small children. We enjoyed every dish we ate...mostly sushi. The service was amazing and our table was in front of a window. Perfect!!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I would first like to state that I am a local here in Durango and frequently dine here. My father and his girlfriend drive all the way from out of state to eat here and drop quite a hefty penny for an amazing meal. Usually, the owner Sergio is out on the floor checking on the customers.
Last Thursday, October 18th, I met with a large group for dinner. We had a reservation and were seated. Renee proceeded to take our drink order. We received our drinks 45 min after sitting down. (all drinks were still full priced). I had asked to have a separate check since I had a partial to go order. She promptly told me that "I will just have to remind her at the end of the night. I'll deal with this later." She was obviously highly annoyed that she was serving our table.
Everyone at the table ordered food. When she came to me I ordered a small appetizer and my to go food. A friend of mine ordered the same drink as I. She asked what size she wanted. I had ordered a martini earlier, so I asked her what size she had put in for me. I didn't want to have a large thirty dollar cocktail, if that was the case. She responded, "you ordered a martini. They don't come in sizes." And rolled her eyes. It was so rude that other guests at the table asked why she hated me so much. I was pissed to say the least. I have never been treated like that here.
Then the food began to come out. Everyone's food came out. Appetizers, entrees, everything. Except mine. I asked our server if there was another salad on it's way, as I was starving. Her reply, "Yeah. You specifically asked for a SPECIAL to go order." I don't know how to emphasize how sarcastic this was. My friend's jaws dropped. I asked her if she could please bring me my salad. That it was not supposed to be to go, I wanted to eat there with my group. She told me she would grab it in a minute. It never came. So I asked the manager if my salad would ever get to me. He told me it would be right out. About a minute later, she drops my salad in front of me IN the to go box. THIS IS A TEN DOLLAR TINY APPETIZER! She couldn't even put it in a bowl! Then, after fuming and losing my appetite for another ten to fifteen minutes, she walks over to the the table and asks me, "oh-would you like me to put this in a bowl?" The manager never made sure that I was taken care of. In fact, when she dropped the bill in front of me, EVERYTHING WAS FULL PRICED. AND GRATUITY was added. I am pissed that I had to give such awful service any of my hard earned money. Keep in mind that this was a table full of very understanding people who WORK in the service industry in town. If that can give you any idea how awful this server is, I don't know what will. All in all, the restaurant has amazing food, so there is obviously no issues with the kitchen. Renee, however, made me detour my family from eating there just this week.

1  Thank RealDurango
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We really enjoyed the food but our server was very poor. Once we were seated it was difficult to get his attention and then once we ordered we saw him only when he delivered a dish. We had to wait an inordinate amount of time for one of our dishes and he never came back to tell us what the situation was, nor to refill our water, etc. It's not an inexpensive place to eat and the service should be better.