“Slow service, not the best place in town by a long shot”
Review of Mahogany Grille

Mahogany Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Mahogany Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 192 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th Street
Transit: There is a trolley that has frequent stops throughout the Durango downtown area. www.durangotransit.com or 970.259.5538
Description: Mahogany Grille is your place to enjoy handcrafted cuisine while stepping back into time. We offer the ambiance of the Victorian Old West as we serve you an array of eclectic culinary specialties. It’s the blending of the simple with the ornate—of the old with the new. We invite you to view our menu selections where you’ll find a diverse array of faire. So whether you’re looking for a quick bite to eat, a relaxing night out, or to celebrate a special occasion, Mahogany Grille is a premiere Durango restaurant where you can create your own majestic memories.When preparing the Mahogany Grille menu, our award-winning staff gives special focus to farm-fresh recipes that represent new styles with old west flavors. We hand-cut our steaks in our butcher shop, carefully select our foods, and incorporate products by local growers when available creating a mosaic of tastes and textures. This detailed attention to our region is a reflection of our commitment to the great Southwest and its history, exceptional quality, and pleasing our community and visitors.We take pride in being well-versed in fine wine and spirits. Enjoy recommendations from our in-house Sommelier or be visually stimulated by our artisan cocktails. Complimented with our aromatic food, our wines and spirits make quite a delicious impression. One we believe will give you a unique experience that will delight your senses and keep you coming back for more.
Durango
“Slow service, not the best place in town by a long shot”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We eat out often, and because we have some very old parents, they usually like something s bit more elegant such as the Palace Restaurant. Well the Palace was closed tonight so we went to the Mahogany Grill. We were seated promptly but it took forever to see a server. We had a party of seven and were seated in 2 booths across from each other which was not optimal. The hosts advised us that there were no more tables available. There must have been 10 empty large tables...whatever.
I ordered bread immediately. My kids were famished and so was I. I had to order it 3 times before the server brought it out with some oil and vinegar, and purple mustard. No butter. I had to repeatedly ask for butter as well.
The food took 35 minutes plus to arrive. I had the pepper steak which was not very peppery. But it was exceptionally delicious. One the food finally arrived it was all very good with a beautiful presentation. All in all I would say that for the price tier at the Mahogany Grill, the service should be top notch, which it definitely wasn't. But it is also very possible that we were there in an off night. This is the first time I've not had an exceptional experience. I hope the next time I done there the service is as good as the food.

San Diego, CA
“Amazing”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided to stop here during our short stay in Durango. We did not have reservations but were seated right away anyway. The waiter was a very nice young man that have us a run down on the specials and quickly returned with our awesome Colorado wines. I had the special table side steak and my wife had the Salmon. I can't even begin to describe how wonderful the meal was. Both of use finished out entire plates including the sautéed spinach which I usually can't stand. I would go back to the Mahogany Grill ever night if I could. I highly recommend this place. As for the other reviewer with a 1-star review, I can only ask if you asked for the manager before posting such a review. You should give them a chance to fix a problem before complaining about it. The place was indeed packed and I'm bummed you didn't have the same experience we did.

Phoenix, Arizona
“epic fail”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We made reservations for 5 people for Christmas dinner via open table. When we got there they told us the reservation was made for 4. When I showed the confirmation email they reluctantly agreed and sat all 5 of us crammed in at a 4-top. That began an aweful evening. Although the waitress was friendly, it took 20 minutes to get a drink or anything else. We ordered the crab fondue appetizer which took 45 minutes to arrive at our table. It basically consisted of a pot of bad melted cheese with a little bit of crab put in. Decidedly not good. After waiting another 45 minutes, our main order arrived. My daughter order the prosciutto wrapped shrimp which was salty and the sauce was curdled. My husband had asked for his Elk steak medium rare and it came out well done. Odd, because I had asked for my duck well done and it came out rare. We sent both back. 20 minutes later my husband got his elk. By the time I received my new duck, another 45 minutes had passed and my whole family was done with their meal. I did finally get it and it was so tough and so overcook it was inedible. Meanwhile, our waitress had entirely disappeared. When I flagged her down and expressed our disapproval at having to eat my christmas dinner separately from my family, she offered to box it up for me "so I could eat it at the hotel". I couldn't believe it. We spoke to the manager and he fell all over himself to apologize. He comped the meal and gave us desert, so he tried very hard to make it right. Unfortunately, it didn't make up for a ruined christmas dinner because of his incompetent kitchen staff and rude waitstaff. I understand that duck is hard to cook well done and keep it flavorful and moist, but if you can't handle an item, don't put it on your menu. None of the dishes we had were even worthy of an upscale dining experience. The ONLY good thing I can say about this place is that the hotel interior and ambiance are lovely. Other than that, waste of time.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank thekremers
“Great experience”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

When I ordered my filet well done I asked our waiter if Chef would cringe. His response was " Our goal at this restaurant is to serve our customers what they want and pay for." OMGOSH Chef did an excellent job!! My filet was cooked perfectly and my sides were delicious. My husband's appetizer and meal was wonderful as well. Thank you for respecting my choice on how I enjoy my filet prepared...

• Visited December 2013
Lynnfield, Massachusetts
“Incredibly wonderful food and decor!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We loved both the historic ambiance and the incredibly wonderful food - even my vegetarian husband could not believe how great the dinner was! Highly recommended!

• Visited October 2013