“Charm of Durango but not charming!”
Review of Caboose Motel

Caboose Motel
Caboose Motel
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed December 2, 2009

The Caboose Motel calls itself the Charm of Durango. However, it is far from charming. We stayed there in May of '09. The hotel is old and the advertisements stated that all of the King rooms had been remodeled. Maybe in 1975! Old furniture, old bedding, old kitchenette. The chairs at the kitchen table were so dirty we did not even want to sit on them. Even though it rained the entire weekend we were in Durango, we spent very little time in the room. Granted the outside is kind of charming, it is quaint and the kind of motel that took us back to the 1950's, the rooms left so little to be desired that I would not recommend this motel. Spend a little more and get something cleaner.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovecoloradoUSA

Reviewed October 21, 2009

We arrived in Durango with no reservations, and after reading the reviews of this motel, we were a little concerned. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome from Maureen, one of the two owners, who was still in the office at 8:30 pm (while several nearby motels were already closed). Maureen offered to let us see the king room, and gave us a great rate (30% off the posted rate, and only a few dollars more than the sketchy places down the street). The room wasn't huge, but it had plenty of room for the two of us, and was spotlessly clean. Comfy king bed with extra pillows, new carpet, fresh paint. There was a new fridge, microwave, and coffee-maker, and a small wood-and-wrought-iron table for two, which was handy for breakfast and snacks in the room. Bathroom was also squeaky clean, with a new pedestal sink, oversized mirror, and small but perfectly fine step-up tub with a nice white cotton shower curtain. The little amenities were thoughtfully arranged - soaps and facecloth in a little wicker basket; coffee cups on a tea-towel; brochures for local attractions on the writing desk. Another bonus - the motel is 100% non-smoking (with a stiff $200 penalty for breaking that rule).
Small items of note - it is an older motel, so a few things are a bit faded here and there. For example, tiles in the bathroom are a bit old, but totally fine; walls and cielings are stucco, but freshly painted; furniture is rather eclectic but I found it quirky and homey; there doesn't seem to be a phone in the room (which is not an issue as we have cell phones).
Overall - excellent value for the money, and I'd much rather stay in this type of unique, locally-owned property than a lacklustre chain-motel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank soobee_vancouver
Reviewed July 14, 2009

The motel was very clean; did not have a pool but did have a jacuzzi; quiet. I would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I’ve stayed at this hotel several times in the past and have found it in the past a very clean, inexpensive, comfortable alternative to the more expensive lodging chains in town. This time however I was a bit disappointed. First they ‘lost’ my reservation and suggested that they could ‘let’ me have their last available room, at a significantly higher price then I reserved because it had a kitchen (that I did not want nor need) and suggested that they were doing me a favor in offering it to me. After complaining and telling them in no uncertain terms what I felt about their favor they relented and gave me the room they had left for the price I reserved for. The room was big, and had a full kitchen in it (that I never used) but the beds were very uncomfortable. They also advertize on the room as having free WiFi when you reserve it but it does not exist. When I complained about it the front desk person had no idea what I was talking about. All in all after this experience I do not think I will be coming back to this particular establishment!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wolfshowl
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I read a mix of reviews for this motel before we left for our trip, so didn't pre-book. We arrived in Durango and all of the motels were over priced. The Caboose Inn was value for money. The owner was extremely pleasant. The room was clean and comfortable. The free bus into town stopped right outside the motel so access into Durango was easy.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We made reservations nearly two months in advance of our visit to Durango. We showed up to the motel after-hours, around midnight, after an unexpectedly long day of driving, with fitfully-sleeping kids in the car. I rang the office doorbell several times over a few minutes to no answer. There was no envelope or note for us as I thought there might have been. We called the office number, and then the "emergency" number. Someone at the emergency number gave us another number, where i left a detailed voice-mail message. I again called the emergency number to find a machine, and again the second number, more voice mail. I looked around some more for any evidence of a key, a note, an envelope... nothing! We hung around for nearly 30 minutes, and in desperation, found a room at the Best Western next door for more money. Next morning my calls to the Caboose went unanswered (after more than 10 rings for both the local and 800 numbers) so I walked over to straighten it out and make sure we didn't get charged for the mix-up and hopefully move our stuff over from the Best Western for a cheaper night at the Caboose. I talked to two different women, one over the office phone, and the other at the desk in person. They were unapologetic and rude, insisted that I did not call them nor leave any messages, and told me that our key had been in the mailbox, and we would have known that had we seen the note they had left on the door. I was outraged! There had been no note! I had called four times! I left two messages, one on voice mail and one with an actual human being (the owner's son, I later found out)! They treated me as if we had skipped out on our reservation and and made no real effort to really get in touch with them, and told me in no uncertain terms that we we had already been charged for the room and that it was just too bad. They made no effort to rectify the situation, and after all, they already had our money, what else did they need to do? At least they let me cancel our second reserved night and we stayed next door, for more money, but at a better place. Beware of these people.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank etherbean
Reviewed June 29, 2009

The lady who runs this motel has questionable integrity. We had a very bad experience with her. We found her rude and unapologetic for the error that made us search for another place to stay, in spite of the fact that we had made the reservation two months previous and had written paperwork to that effect. All she could say was that the motel had been in her family for 30 years, and she never makes mistakes. We felt that she was dishonest in calling several other motels, telling us there were no more rooms available in Durango, then finding one for us that was one of the most expensive in town, and then manipulating the situation to her advantage by telling us that she would have a room the following night, if we wanted to come back to her. No way were we going to voluntarily stay here, after meeting her and experiencing her rudeness, and especially after reading of similar experiences by other travelers. We will discourage everyone we know from staying here. What a poor way to run a business! We are thankful for the error that kept us from staying here and will never, ever consider it a possibility in the future.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family