“Pleased Again”

Caboose Motel
Caboose Motel
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have stayed in three different rooms now at The Caboose. All have been amazingly clean. The beds were comfortable. The rooms eclectic but homey. The manager, Terri, is always so polite and helpful. We've met the owner and she seems like a super nice lady too. The ONE AND ONLY complaint I have, I'd love to see bigger TV's in all the rooms. Some do some don't. The only time we are watching TV when there is as we are going to bed, so it's not a deal breaker for us.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Caboose Motel

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I needed a place for one night and didn't want to spend a lot. The caboose is like stepping back in time to the motor lodges of the 60's where you park right outside your door. It isn't a resort and isn't modern, but it is clean and gets the job done. The baths had been remodeled and the bed was very comfortable. There was also a small kitchenette which I did not use. The room had a flat panel tv, 2 tables, a small chest of drawers, and a window A/C. Heat was from a space heater in my particular room although there was a wall unit too. There are a couple of things to be aware of: you pay in advance which is a little different. Also there is no shampoo in the room. The office will provide some in a cup if you need and it wasn't a big deal for me. There is some traffic noise but it didn't bother me. Some people complain the price is too high but it is way less than the chains in town but higher than the low end hotels that look dirty and have sketchy customers. If you are particular and like the chain experience, this may not be the place for you. However if you just want clean, a good bed, and 50 percent cheaper than the chains in town, this is fine. Overall, a good experience and I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Tenderpaw01
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Yes, this is a small, older motel with a teeny, tiny bathroom, but it was clean and much less expensive than the bigger chain motels/hotels in town. We spent 3 nights here while dropping our daughter off at college and it did the job. A nice, comfortable, big bed. Close to the college. The room did get a little hot, but we turned on the a/c and it cooled off quickly. The manager was very nice. Nice little grassy area where we could sit out and watch the world pass by. Good coffee and breakfast burrito right next door at Durango Joe's!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dawnski77
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Came into Durango for the night and was very pleased with our checkin, she was helpful and pleasant! Our room was small but had everything we needed! Coffee in morning was good! Sure it's quite dated but it had character which adds to our memories of Durango! Felt rate was high for what it was, but it is summer and in a tourist town!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank 2runing
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We chose this motel based on Trip Advisor reviews and can say the property exceeded our expectations. The desk manager was great! She provided us with recommendations for our meal(s) and free local transportation services. The AAA rate was great and if we are in the Durango area again, we'll give the Caboose our business.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BGKY1617
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Okay. I'm going to be upfront and say that the list of rules and instructions was a bit off putting.

BUT, it matched the homey, quirky, familiar comfy quaint thing that I would go back for. I'm not sure I will try another hotel in Durango now. If the Caboose is full, I'll put my name on the list and camp out in the San Juan National Forest until the room is available.
I loved it. I'm not gonna use the stove. Like, ever, but it's nice to know I can. The woodwork is just like Grandma's old house and the beds are perfectly comfortable. The rule lister at the front desk was wonderfully helpful and the ONLY thing missing is doilies. A place like this should have doilies everywhere. The price was low medium for the area and therefore the value was outta the park great. I was amazed and surprised and I

DEFINITELY RECOMMEND!

Room Tip: Had the corner room as you pull in. The walls are sound, so no noise bothered us.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank nabenom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Pulled into Durango with 2 kids and no room reservations in town. Pulled into about 4 places along Main Ave and found prices way too high for what they offered. I mean, $149 for a basic room just doesn't sit we'll with me. Almost took a room at the Budget Inn for $54 but let's jus say it wasn't quite clean. I would had the kids use their sleeping bags. Drive down a block to the Caboose and the manager, Terry, was so nice and insisted we look at a room before settling on the Budget. So glad we did. Rooms are not fancy but charming, clean and perfect for a family. Comfy beds. Great water pressure in shower. A little more than Budget, but so much better!! Family owned and full of character. Our room was a basic with 2 queen beds but they also have ones with a small kitchen which I would boom next time.

• Stayed: August 2013