“Blood stains on bathroom wall”

Spanish Trails Inn and Suites
Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Blood stains on bathroom wall”
Reviewed January 29, 2010

We should have stayed anywhere else. There was a large amount of dripping blood that had been painted over - the grey spatter marks still showed through the paint - and it was dark rust colored where it had dripped into the floor heater in the bathroom. AC was very noisy, but worked. Road noise was terrible. Bed was hard, sheets were dirty. My son and I swam in the pool, which was actually ok.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank MommyinNM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Paris
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I stayed one night in the spanish trails inn hotel for one night in august. One night was more than enough!

I am selecting my hotels carefully following tripadvisor reviews and I must admit this experience the worse hotel of the trip. SO knowing that this hotel is ranked 14 in Durango is a complete mystery AND SHAME. Such a mystery that I needed to write my review immediately.

Only Positive thing, we were expecting to pay 86USD including tax and when we arrive girl at reception said the price changed and was now 55USD...86USD was apprently for a suite. I would have liked to see how the suite room was looking like!

Hotel is located at the end of Durango Main street so definetly not an hotel where you walk to the city. There are many other hotel before reaching Spanish trails from the city which didn't look bad at all, at least not worst than SPanish trails! Second and last Positive thing there is a free shuttle bus stop in front of the door. Very helpful for those like us who did not want to drink and drive! Believe me, you need a lot of drinking to accept sleeping in such a room.

Negative:
- rude girl at the reception. Of course she gave us the worst room (starting with 1) of the motel right on the busy main street. Motel was definetly not full looking at the parking lot. I asked for a slightly better room. She said the motel was full and she had only this room available and left the reception in order to stop the discussion. When we came back from Durango, the parking lot was far more filled with cars than when we arrived...

Negative in the room:
- Very strange (and not in a positive way) smell in the room.
- Bed had more than 20 years. Sheets also were very old, washed too many times but at least it seems to be clean.
- Curtain was so old and dirty........I hope it was really brown color at origin but not really sure
- Bathroom door was broken with big holes just like several people had knocked on it
- WC flush was not working correctly and you had to flush several times...not too much details!

Since this motel is my first dessapointment of Tripadvisor, I really wanted to write a review. I have slept in many other small motels during my trip such as some Motel 6 but they were never that dirty, that smelly and staff was at least not lying to me. So I would really recommend not to go there altough price looks attractive.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank florent1980

Travelers are raving about these Durango hotels

seattle, wa
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed in this motel the first week of August 2009. We wanted to save some money to be able to do some additional adventures in the Durango area. Next time I'd spend a more for a room and maybe do less! Here are the pro's and con's of this very old property run by what look to be former flower children who now realize they didn't set aside enough for their retirement, though the staff was nice overall. They still use paper cards for guest information and provide actual metal room keys. Motel location: while located on Main street and easy to find, it is not near the downtown area like their website makes it appear. However there is a free trolley that stops directly in front of the motel that will take folks into downtown and to the train station. The pool was small but looked clean and although we didn't use it, there were kids in it playing so I'd guess it's okay. The motel says they have refurbished rooms, perhaps in one of the other wings of the property but ours definitely was not. The rooms do have fridge/micro's in them which is nice as there is a grocery store directly across the street. However the door on our micro was broken but the fridge was clean and kept our drinks cold. We were put directly over the office in a front facing room toward the street, yes, I should have paid more attention to this and asked to have been moved but didn't, so we were subjected to all manner of car, truck, and motorcycle noise all night long and the streetsweeper went by twice! The carpet on the stairs was old, dirty and torn though we only had to climb one flight and were able to park our car very close by and under cover. The room was dark and dingy and the window at the front had a broken latch and couldn't be locked so we locked our valuables in the car when we left to go do things. There is an air conditioner in the room which worked but my husband told me after we'd checked out, as he didn't want me to worry further, that the wiring for it was jury-rigged and taped together where it plugged into the wall. OMG. The bed was super hard and lopsided but I did check for bedbugs and didn't see any evidence of them and the housekeeper kindly left us extra pillows when requested. The bathroom was okay overall if you disregard the bent towel bar and the toilet paper holder located underneath the sink on the wall. Most of the outlets in the room worked but not the one located under the table so I had to unplug the lamp to use my laptop. The T.V. was small but okay and the remote did work. So, overall I'd say unless the entire town is sold out of hotel rooms which would be hard to imagine as there a ton of hotels there, you'd probably want to avoid staying there. If you are a backpacker or on a strict budget it might work for you but definitely ask for a refurbished room and for a one away from the street. Fairly scary overall!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveler110
Grand Junction, CO
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Spanish Trails on the way to Santa Fe, NM on July 17th. After reading some of the reviews one would think you would contract hepatitis upon entering your room, so we were pleasantly surprised when we found a clean, comfortable, and large room that was not like what the negative reviews had suggested we would find. The room shows its age, but it was not dirty or sketchy. The desk clerk in both the evening and morning were also very pleasant and helpful. The only complaints are that our room was above the lobby and faced the street, which on a Friday night was rather busy and noisy, there was no soap or shampoo provided, and the room took a long time to cool down because of the small window unit air conditioner located on the opposite side of the room by the bathroom. For the price ($65) in Durango in the peak of summer season, I would certainly stay there again and recommend it to anyone looking for decent budget accommodations instead of a ridiculously priced "name brand" hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mbailey80
Boulder
Reviewed November 17, 2008

I had a great experience at the Spanish Trails. I was able to book a room at a great rate during the peak of summer. It was clean, quiet, and in a great location. Yes, the hotel is older, but very clean.

The staff was very helpful and gave me great tips as far as fun things to do while I in town.

I love to support locally owned businesses like the Spanish Trails, which gave me great quality for a minimal expense.

Hope you enjoy!

• Liked — I loved the location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank hotelsearcher4444
geopak
Reviewed April 1, 2008

It really was July of 2002. Perhaps the management has changed.
I was traveling with a group of 3 motorcycles. We had no complaints.
The room was clean and fine. I was allowed to park the motorcycle in the carport. I had agreed to $60 a night for 3 nights. Reserved the room with a Discover Card. On arriving I noticed they were advertising a $50 a night rate. I inquired, they lowered the rate to $50 without a squeek.
The help was friendly and helpful.
The clothes washers and driers worked fine.
Walk to the curb and take the bus to town. How convient.

Sorry, some folks have had a bad experience lately.
I would have planned to use the motel again, now I am not so sure.

Stayed July 2004
New Mexico
Reviewed March 22, 2007

Wow! Where do I begin after the experiences of the other two reviewers. I must be crazy, as I stayed two nights at this motel in September 2006! The price was right, $39 for a king-sized bed, but all Durango motels fluctuate wildly from week to week depending on what activity is going on in town at the time of your visit. Check the schedule for events before visiting Durango.
I found my room to be reasonably clean, including the sheets. Ditto the bathroom. This was once one of Durango's best motels (I know, I stayed here with my family in the 60's and 70's!) It draws customers because of it's relatively low prices compared to the newer variety. I agree the desk people were of a "take it or leave it" attitude, but I only went in twice, to get the room, and leaving my key. Some rooms are newer than others also, so maybe the other two had samples of the oldest section, although that doesn't excuse filth certainly. My two day impression of my room was perhaps a C- grade. Microwave, refrigerator included. Grocery right across the street, and the little city tram/bus stops right in front to ride to downtown to avoid the parking insanity. (The only comparable place I've experienced was downtown Santa Fe!) I'd planned to stay here again this summer, but now I don't know. Caveat emptor! Check your room out first before paying for it! Another of life's roll of the dice! LOL! Also, I think the policy of "if you used it" applies across the board in motels. I once used the toilet, before discovering my bolted on TV didn't work properly. I asked for another room, but since they would (they claimed) now have to have the maid return to clean the toilet, I'd still have to pay for the first room! I kept the room and the quasi-operating TV. I could have lied about using anything, but unfortunately, I'm an honest individual...and also didn't think that fast! :-)

• Liked — Good location, out of the downtown area's traffic mess
  • Disliked — It's starting to show its age.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo