“Some of the best food ever. Extremely pricey, lousy service, and a cramped dining room do not make the best restaurant...”
Review of The Red Snapper

The Red Snapper
Ranked #41 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2007

Some of the best food ever. Extremely pricey, lousy service, and a cramped dining room do not make the best restaurant ever.

3  Thank LaceyGFarmington

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Best seafood in Durango. Has a open salad bar included in all meals which I love. Service is good and atmosphere is very nice.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Sometime between May of 2006 and May of 2007 something went seriously wrong here. Prior to 2007 this was one of my family's favorite restaurants. It became our tradition to visit this upscale seafood establishment on the last night prior to returning home from vacation... it was our last great 'splurge' before going back to our normal everyday lives.

Our visit in May of 2007 was the biggest dining disappointment of the year.

I called early to make reservations. This used to be a *must* if you intended to eat there in any reasonable amount of time. We arrived on time and were a little surprised to see that there was no wait. (On a weekend night, at dinnertime, this should have been a warning sign!) In fact, there were only four or five other parties there dining. Obviously the locals and other regulars have figured something out that we had yet to learn.

We were seated immediately. The decor was nice, as usual. Dark colors, sea or fish themed artwork and all around. Nicely lit fishtanks here and there in the dividing walls.

Our server was slow to bring drinks, and even slower to take food orders. I was disappointed to see my favorite item was GONE. (The Monterey Scallops -- a serving of sea scallops baked in lemon-garlic butter and covered in melted monterey jack cheese.) I ordered a steak instead, hoping that I could find a new favorite.

Our wine was just plain nasty. --And that is entirely our fault, as something less than oenophiles (connoisseurs of wine) it took a bit more than just a sniff and a sip to realize we'd made a mistake. We'll just chalk that one up to experience and be more careful in ordering in the future.

The salad bar was, as it always has been, excellent! A good variety of crisp vegetables and toppings. I enjoyed the iceberg lettuce mix with sunflower seeds, baby corns, and cherry peppers. An excellent array of fresh veggies and dressings made this the high point of our dinner.

In the past, when the we got up to fetch salads, the service staff would tidy up the table... refold the napkins neatly and what-not. This time, the table was just as we'd left it... Oh well, there's nothing really wrong with that.

On my way to the salad bar, our server stopped me to tell me that the steak I'd ordered 'rare' was an end-cut and probably be very good 'rare'. Well, ok, I can eat steaks that are more done than that. I asked him to make it a medium.

Allowing my wife's water glass to sit in front of her empty for more than ten or fifteen minutes is a really good way to get your tip minimized. Her glass sat on the table empty for most of our time there.

Dirty restrooms are also a big turn-off for my wife. Returning from the restrooms with my daughter in tow, my wife proclaimed them "filthy".

When the food finally arrived they'd brought the wrong item for my mother-in-law. (We weren't really in that much of a hurry, but we hadn't brought enough activities to keep our two-year-old occupied for more than about an hour. From the time we ordered until our food came was a little over 30 minutes.) Our server apologized and took the food back to the kitchen to order the correct item.

The food was ordinary. There was absolutely nothing that made it special or unique in any way. I've had more exciting food at Applebees! This was a big disappointment. I've bragged about this restaurant to friends and family for years, and when I finally get my mother-in-law out here to try it, they bring out this bland, I-could-have-done-it-myself meal.

The dessert was a piece of cake that had obviously been put on the plate some time well before we arrived at the restaurant.

On our way out, my wife expressed our disappointment with the 'dining experience' to the manager. (I hate those words, but it is exactly that concept that makes the cost palatable.) She was apologetic, but it didn't really make us feel any happier about it.

On the way out, as my wife looked over the receipt again, she realized that the cash my mother-in-law had put with our credit card to pay for the meal hadn't been subtracted from the total! (She'd wanted to pay for her portion of the bill.) We went back in to talk to the manager once again. She brought the server out to find out what had happened. He claimed he thought the cash was his tip! A thirty dollar 'tip' on a $130+ ticket is one heck of a tip! While this is plausible, he didn't even ask before charging our card.

We had the total recalculated, minus what we'd given in cash, and left him a grudging fifteen percent.

We will not be back. There's numerous excellent dining places within walking distance that will happily serve superb food and provide excellent service. (And clean restrooms.)

What was once a shining jewel in the Durango dining scene has now aged, most ungracefully, to be an overpriced seafood and steakhouse bar worth visiting only for sentimental reasons.

5  Thank citygeek
Reviewed May 5, 2007

It has been 20 years since I left a restaurant without leaving a tip. I hate to do that, but as I did not receive any service, it seemed appropriate. I took my son and his 2 roommates to dinner. We waited for our waiter to take a drink order; we waited for our dinner (I actually had to get up and find someone to ask where our dinners were being that it was 30+ minutes after we had ordered), and I had to get up to find our waiter to pay the bill. The food was good, not great, there are better restaurants, such as the Mahagony Grill and Ken and Sue's. In all, we arrived at the restaurant at 7;30 and left just before 9, and should have been out of there at least 1/2 hour sooner given the time we waited for our food and the bill. Very frustrating, and not a restaurant I will go to again. There is better food, and much, much better service.

7  Thank getwhatyoupayfor
Reviewed February 26, 2007

We always dine here when we make our yearly visit to Durango and we've never been disappointed.

Been to The Red Snapper? Share your experiences!