WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Dolores, Colorado
“Best value downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

We live about 45 minutes out of town so when we want to make a night of it we stay at the Durango Lodge. This is the land of overpriced hotels and most of them are not within walking distance of downtown. There is one cab company and they charge accordingly. There is a free trolley if you are further North on Main. Parking is expensive and non-exsitent most of the time.
The Durango Lodge offers a basic but clean room for about 62 bucks plus tax for a double. It is in a great location and you can walk to everything. Parking is free.
If you are just in town for a night out this is the place. Also if you are passing through and want to be close to the many great restaurants in town for the evening. Its a block from the train.
If you are going to spluge downtown try the Strater or the Best Western Rio Grande.Otherwise if you want location and a bed this is the place.
Be wary of some of the cheaper places on North Main. Some, not all, are also long term rentals with a colorfull clientel. Cheers!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank koby w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Grand Junction, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I booked this lodge a couple weeks in advance after looking for a few places around the train station. My husband and I were taking our two young children to see the Polar Express. We loved that it was in walking distance, and my husband wanted to support a local business. For us, we drove over 3 hours to go on the Polar Express. We arrived at the lodge an hour and a half early. Most hotels/motels will let you check in earlier than the listed check-in. The older woman at the front desk barely looked at me. I told her we had a reservation, which she verified. She informed me that check-in wasn't until 3:00, and the maids haven't released any of the rooms. But she treated me like I will not absolutely get checked in until 2:30, like that was a favor to me. Okay, fine. I went out to tell my husband, and found two kiddos that needed to use the restroom (as well as myself). I figured I am patronizing her business, she will let us use the restroom until she can check us in. No, absolutely not. No public restrooms. So refusing to help us out, or get off her rear and see if at least one room was ready was the last straw. She treated my husband and I like dirt. So back out the car I go with two kids. I sent my husband in for the third and final time to cancel. She informed us that unless she filled the room, she would charge the room anyway because it was within the 24-hour cancellation period. He said to go ahead and try, we'll file a dispute with the credit card company and she won't get paid anyway. We then went up the highway a bit and found a national chain hotel that would take us right away. Now that is customer service....and no, as of three days later, no charge on my card. You treat future clientele like dirt, expect a crappy review.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Stefanie V
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

We booked this lodge in late Sept because it was in walking distance to the train station. upon entering there was a very musty odor eminating from the halls. Obvoiusly from years of use. The odor was undescribable. Once in the room there was little relief. By bed time my sinuses were giving me problems like I have never had before - just kind of stuffy. It went away the next day when I was outside for a couple hours on the train. Will not stay here again unless there are improvements.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed at the Durango Lodge in October 2013. We chose to stay here because of it's fantastic location, right next door to the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway which was a huge plus and a short walk to restaurants and shopping. The Lodge has great WiFi, we found it to be very quiet and clean and the staff helpful and friendly. We were able to park in their parking lot which was very convenient and we would definitely return. Very good value for money.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Richland, Washington, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The hotel is conveniently located near the shopping and entertainment district. This was a great locale for jumping off on our Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge trip. The breakfast sitting area is a bit tight, but considering the location and the value of the hotel we'd stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John B
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Stayed at the Durango Lodge for 2 nights in mid September. Room was very clean and comfortable. Door side parking. Parking is limited. Within walking distance of train and downtown shops and restaurants. Breakfast was less than average hotel continental breakfast.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RCCLWW
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

After trying two other hotels nearby, we were pleased to get a room at a reasonable rate so close to the town centre. Parking seems to be an issue in Durango so we were also relieved to get a space in the motel. Glad we'd arrived about 2pm and got a space.

We got room above the office, I've since read reviews about this room being smelly, but we really didn't notice this when we stayed (19-22 Sep). I was more interested in getting a balcony out onto the street so I could people-watch. It was great!

Stayed two nights and the only minor problem I could think of was the sounds of other guests getting their breakfast in the office/foyer each morning.

Had no problem with staff attitude, we stopped by reception on our way to dinner and the receptionist complimented me on my outfit, so I won't complain about that....

All in all, we had a great experience and it was ideal for walking into town. We didn't use the car for two days and there's a City Market foodstore in walking distance so that was ideal for us to stock up on picnic supplies and water.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony onto the street, no problems with street noise but we were there in Septem...