“pay us to stay there”

Ranked #33 of 33 Hotels in Durango
newcastle, australia
“pay us to stay there”
Reviewed October 20, 2009

yes this motel should pay the guests to stay...we went to ride the train, so needed 2 nights accommodation & being on budget went here...had to keep going to front desk...wi fi wouldnt work...door card wouldnt work...rooms are that old in need of knocking down & rebuilding...only good thing is the tourist trolley runs quite frequently up the street & is free....would look elsewhere & pay extra than stay here again

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blackalls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Midwest
Reviewed July 24, 2009

This hotel is of the worst ever and the management is rude on top of it, plus they ripped us off on the room rate. Charged us $30.00 more per night than what was advertised on the sign. Sign also said seniors discount which they would not give us!
The air cond. smelled like it had a dead animal in it. Hardly any towels in room. Out of order ice machine. They sold us ice instead. Pool was dirty and down right gross.
Dirty place and jerks on top of it.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank MCtravelerMidwest

Travelers are raving about these Durango hotels

NW Indiana
Reviewed July 2, 2009

The carpet was filthy, the AC was so high I had to stand on the bed to turn it on and it did not work (had to sleep with the window open....no security), phone did not work, empty light bulb sockets, dirty fan filters, chipped paint, dingy linens, ice machine didn't work. Owner would not look me in the eye as I complained in the morning nor made any offer of compensation. Highest priced motel we stayed in on a 2 1/2 week trip and the only one I can complain about! One night here was one too many.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank saralouNWIndiana
Minneapolis
Reviewed February 16, 2009

If I could, I would give this hotel not even one yellow circle. It was so bad, we were only there an hour and after my 1 year old son was crawling on the carpet, I picked him up and his hands were black and knees were black (in fact his pants ended up getting stained I couldn't wash whatever it was out.) The ceiling in the bathroom was ducttaped up and barely that, as half of it was starting to fall down. I went into the front desk and demanded my $112 back. Eventually they gave it to me. The guy said "I am so sick of hearing this from people...there is nothing I can do about it." So apparently this a regular occurance at this place. We drove 20 miles to Cortez and for the same price stayed at a really nice place. I know that Durango is an expensive place....but it is not worth it AT ALL!!! Stay AWAY....

And by the way, I am not an uptight traveler...I have no problem staying at nice dives on vacation for a good price...I travel a ton and very comfortable with different types and kinds of hotel. This was by far the worst place I have thankfully never stayed at.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Every single thing!
1 Thank mudhonie
guineapickle
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Few nice things can be said about this place. I booked it because we were on a budget, and I was looking to save money. I now know that I should try to save money elsewhere, and above all not stay here again!

Good:
Low cost
central location
friendly housekeepers
desk upgraded us to King room

Bad:
Traffic Noise horrible
3 air conditioners in room, none of them did more than blow tepid stinky air (cooler did not work, room was stifling hot)
Bathroom window opened directly onto street, and had no lock, so anyone could climb in at any time. We rigged a tin cup alarm while sleeping.
Toilet not bolted to floor, so it rocked precariously back and forth
when sat upon.
Towels so threadbare you could see through them, except in the places where the big stains were.
As we were exhausted and my son was sick, we did not attempt to change hotels. it was only for 2 nights. But normally I quite enjoy spending cool down time in my hotel room, but this time it really was impossible to enjoy my stay. I am not a supercritical person, but this seems to be one hotel that should be razed to the ground and something new be built. Yech.

• Liked — free upgrade
  • Disliked — decades of human overuse
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank guineapickle
bluecats3313
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We would have been better in a tent! There was a huge hole in the front door (semi-patched), an unpatched hole in the bathroom door, bare electrical wires in the bathroom ceiling. The mirror above the sink was broken and not very secure, chairs were broken and could be taken apart just by lifting off the pieces. There were patched holes all around the room, the ceiling was unbelievably filthy and there was actually something sticky on the wall (I had put my hand on it). On the secound floor balcony there was a huge piece of the ceiling missing. Way too noisy...toilets flushing, showers running and the hired help and their families filled the pool and continued until the pool closing. No other rooms available in town. My suggestion is " if this is the only motel available you should travel to the next town." I hope this saves someone from the mistake of taking away some of the beauty of the Durango area.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — unsafe
1 Thank bluecats3313
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed July 25, 2008

My husband booked this for our visit over 4th of July weekend...and has since lost all hotel booking privledges. He said a few others he called were full, and wanted something reasonably priced (we paid $100 which was about 4 times what this hotel was worth). Carpet looked like it had bloodstains in places. Fixtures in shower were coming off the wall. Towels and sheets were threadbare and grey-dingy...probably original to the hotel from the 60s. No shampoos, only one soap and glass. There was a pool but I wouldn't let my kids use it, I can't believe they would actually know how to maintain the water chemistry properly since general maintenance and basic upgrades are such a problem. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but I couldn't bear the thought of coming back. So we went to the Comfort Inn in Cortez the next night, for the same price and incomparably nicer.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Room falling apart, grimy towels and sheets, Dirty carpet
1 Thank SWTraveler92