“Best Mexican Food in Town”

Gazpacho New Mexican Cooking Y Cantina
Ranked #25 of 192 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Voted Durango's 2010 & 2011 Best Mexican Restaurant
Aztec, New Mexico
“Best Mexican Food in Town”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Most people want to go to Francisco's but I prefer Gazpacho because they use Hatch green chili, making their food quite tasty. The portions are adequate however they quit giving out chips and salsa unless you ask for them. I always order the Green chicken enchiladas which you can have with either blue/yellow corn tortillas. The servers are always nice but not always so attentive to your needs. The place is like a small cozy cantina which reminds me of home in S. NM.

• Visited May 2014

“Great food! Especially the enchiladas ”
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

I come here for the sopapillas alone. Fresh honey, they are divine. Along with enchiladas and a raspberry Margarita. Been coming for 10 years and I keep coming back.

Arvada, Colorado
“So so”
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

I still don't like New Mexican food . Not much else I can say. Be prepared to wait . Not enough waiters and that was after a 40 min wait for a table

1 Thank kmethvin
Lakewood, Colorado
“If You Like NM Food with Heat Go Here!”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Did not dine in (we had the dogs) and did the to go. My husband chatted with the owner (very friendly) while waiting for our order. We had stuffed sopapillas with carne adovada (big chunks of pork) for both of us, with chips and salsa. Their chips and salsa - GREAT! Fresh chips and the salsa had heat. You need some spice in life! We are tired of places who tone down the flavors and heat for tourists, so we were very happy this place stayed true to the NM Heat. We find if you can get a great meal under $30, with more than enough to eat, it's a great deal. This place hits the mark. We look forward to going back the next time we visit Durango.

Durango, Colorado
“Excellent Mexican food and the best chips and salsa ever!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This meal was a pleasant surprise because I wasn't expecting to get this much excellent Mexican food for the money. They served the BEST chips and salsa ever! Both the red and green salsa were really great and spicy. The only thing that could have been better was Kayleigh could have brought me a substitute “free” desert that came with my meal, since I won't eat the gluten in the Sopapilla. I had the Pork Santa Fe Enchiladas for $12.50 and couldn't even eat it all..........and I was hungry too. I got a leftover box for the extras and will eat these soon. This meal was even better than the food we had in Mexico. I will be back soon and maybe even tomorrow night. Thank you Kayleigh for the fast service!