“Better New Mexican food than in New Mexico”

Gazpacho New Mexican Cooking Y Cantina
Ranked #30 of 203 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Meet Me At Gazpacho! When it comes to Durango restaurants we come out on top at Gazpacho! Our overall rating, terrific New Mexican atmosphere, friendly service and award winning food make Gazpacho a dining experience you do not want to miss! We welcome everyone from all walks of life and try to reflect this in the cuisine we serve. From traditional meat entrees to eclectic vegetarian options, Gazpacho's keeps our pricing fair and our portions large. No other establishment keeps this mantra like Gazpacho New Mexican Cooking y Cantina!
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have eaten here 4 times since happening upon this place in Feb. ( I live 3 hours away). Each time the service has been good, and the food has been consistently excellent. This is New Mexican cuisine, not Tex-Mex or Mexican. The difference is related to the use of red or green chile sauces, "Red or Green" is the official question of the state of New Mexico. Finding New Mexican cuisine this good in Colorado (albeit SW Colo., which is culturally and geographically not that different) is quite a surprise. Their chiles are locally sourced and come from one specific farm, which explains the consistency of flavor. I find their sauces have just the right amount of heat, which wakes me up and makes me sweat a bit but does not destroy my tastebuds. Real chile fans flock to this place.
Chips and salsa (which are quite good) are additional charge. According to some reviews here, this is a deal breaker for some people. Guess what? You always pay for the chips and salsa at every restaurant. It's just hidden elsewhere. Guess what else? You pay for quality, too. This is quality New Mexico cuisine.

1  Thank jkprager

Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

My wife went to school here and she said there is a Mexican place that they went to 10 years ago and it was amazing...so I had to try it. The food and the drinks came out in lightning speed. Tried the gazpacho first and it was delicious. I then had the Santa Fe enchiladas and they were also great. The wife had tacos and she enjoyed them. Everything was great and would go back in a heartbeat!

1  Thank Canniff9
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I enjoy Mexican food very much and over the years, have been to many. On past visits to Durango, CO, we have always made it a point to have dinner at Francisco's and did again this trip. Our friends also suggested we try Gazpacho, a new Mexican restaurant in town since our last visit. I can honestly tell you that Gazpacho served us the BEST Mexican food we have EVER had . . . even better than the "best" places in Southwest Detroit! It was amazing! Everything, including the service was excellent. The Gazpacho soup was extraordinary and it's a "must have" when you stop in at Gazpacho Mexican Restaurant in Durango, CO. Highly recommend!

1  Thank Kristene R
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We love the great New Mexico style cooking like you find in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but in general have not been able to find authentic New Mexican food since we have moved to Colorado. The exception is Gazpacho's Mexican Restaurant. They get many of their ingredients from New Mexico and don't water down the heat for the milder Colorado tastes. They even include sopapillas with honey for dessert! One of my favorite entrees is the Santa Fe Enchiladas. Layered New Mexico style and you can get the egg on top if you desire.

1  Thank PurplePica
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Fajatias are awesome! wish they had out-door seating, but the service is always great. Margaritas are awesome too!

1  Thank Raillerie