“If your from TexMex country your gonna be disappointed”
Review of Francisco's Restaurante - CLOSED

Francisco's Restaurante
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Texas
“If your from TexMex country your gonna be disappointed”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

quesadilla was pretty tasteless. .. mostly a bunch of gooey cheese and very little chicken.

Chip servings were very small.

You can find better places to eat Mexican food...

Woodbridge, Virginia
“New owners are bad for business...”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Pros: Atmosphere has remained the same
Cons: Service, food, prices, and new owners...

I used to frequent this restaurant constantly growing up. It was tradition on my trips during the holidays to eat dinner here since I was about 5 years old. I always looked forward to the atmosphere, service, and of course the food. Sadly, I have to say my tradition will be coming to an end after my most recently visit. My family and my wife's family met here after arriving from Virginia. We were very excited to go after all the years we've been away and frequent visits in the past.

Overall the atmosphere has always stayed the same, which was a warm welcome after the years I have not been able to partake in the delicious food. Although I must say it's misleading and almost false advertising after the meal.

Service was spotty at best. Although we had a large group and were forced to be sat away from the main dining area, our servers seemed to forget about us and would be missing for long periods of time while waiting. We were lucky not to experience what others seemed to experience.

The menu has changed significantly since the last time I visited. There were less items, the combination plates were almost nonexistent, and offered little comfort to what was to come. I always used to love ordering the #1 which included almost one of everything, it was the best choice when you couldn't decide what to order. Now I didn't know what to order because nothing sounded great and everything was different, I wanted a chance to try a mix of items and that option just didn't really exist. I went with the closest thing...

The food was bland, didn't have much flavor. The portion sizes were small and definitely not worth the price. The tortillas didn't seem home made like previously used, or at least didn't taste like it. I will say the portion sizes were made up by the extra food that was added on by accident.

Overall, I think there are much better Mexican restaurants in Durango. I've had friends and family who have said that Francisco's has lost it's appeal after changing owners. The only thing that made this last visit great was the family I spent it with. I'm sad to see this childhood favorite go and hope they see the reviews and change their ways and listen to it's previous die hard customers. Adios.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jesse C
San Diego, California
“Enter at your own risk.”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Four of us walked into Francisco's on a weeknight at about 6:30. The dining room was almost empty, yet we were seated two tables away from a party of nine by a receptionist who seemed annoyed by our arrival. A lady at the table next to us was complaining about the service as we walked past. Not a good sign. We were handed menus and left alone. Fifteen minutes or more later, we had not been approached by a server, but had seen servers huddled in conversations around the room. On top of this, the menu was somewhat limited, and the interior was chilly and more than a little "tired." Several more minutes passed without a server--and so we left.

Maybe the food is good...maybe it was an off night...but we were never made to feel welcome. Enter at your own risk.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank EvyLee
Leesivlle, United States
“Great place to end the day”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

A great place to end the day of visiting Durango. My wife loved the look from the outside and the atmosphere inside was even better. The food was excellent and our waitress was friendly and offered suggestions for us to try. Price was very reasonable. I would recommend this as a place to dine for a quiet dinner.

Visited December 2013
Durango, Colorado
“Ho hum Mexican”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Restaurant has fair food and service. Best thing is it's location close to the train station and right in the heart of downtown which is probably the only reason they are still in business. Many much better Mexican or southwestern cuisine restaurants to choose from in Durango.

Visited September 2013