“Breakfast of Champions!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Breakfast of Champions!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Diner food at its best! We went for breakfast and was surprised at the service, portions, quality and price. Centrally located on Main Ave. I had the French Toast and crisp bacon. My friend had eggs over easy, bacon, and home fries....all food arrived just as ordered and right off the grill. It can be very busy and loud, at times, but this is a diner with the counter service begins right as you enter the door. If you have an average appetite you may want to share because the portions are large.

• Visited August 2013

Glendale
“Go Extra Hungry!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We'd planned to eat at the motel, but it was so busy, we decided to venture in to town & see what we could find. Lucky us, we found Durango Diner with only one group ahead of us waiting. We ended up at the counter near the grill. I'd looked at the menu while waiting & thought I knew what I wanted until I watched the cooks. They were absolutely amazing. This place is tiny and their work area/grill is not much bigger. It was like they were all connected, each knew where the other was and worked as a well-oiled machine. We watched the sous chef cut up the green apple that went in my enormous apple cinnamon pancake. I could only eat half as I had to try the half & half. A split biscuit with one half covered in sausage gravy & the other in green chili pork sauce. My bf had 2 eggs with hash browns & sausage. The hash browns are grated fresh and cooked with melted butter. The sausage looked like a half pound pattie & at first I thought was a hamburger. Everything was excellent. We both left tips which ended up being half of the entire tab, but I figured it was well worth it for getting a show along with a meal. Do not miss this place!

Miami
“I want to forget we even tried it”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Before we even walked in, we’d agreed to share whatever my son wanted to order. The food arrived. A minute of discussion was needed to get the hash browns correct. My son ate his half of the turkey sandwich before I got to mine. I took a bite, and found it very unsatisfying. So I put it down, and opened it up. There were these dark crusty things (about the size of a nickel) in the sandwich. I could not figure out what I was looking at. But I knew it was serious enough to ask. I called over the young waitress. “What is this on my sandwich? She said she didn't know, and asked the other young waitress, who shrugged her shoulders. “Really, I am asking, what are those things”
They waived over the ‘senior’ waitress. I am paraphrasing her response, “Sometimes other bits of food get into other food. “ I couldn’t help myself, whatever was on my sandwich, while I agreed it was something cooked, my suspicions remained unresolved. I guess my facial expression told her all she wanted to hear.
“You don't want to eat it?”
“No,” I responded.
Then she picked up one of those plastic rectangular ‘buckets’ they use to carry away dirty dishes, slid my dishes, cup and utensils into it, and walked away.
I have never had an argument in a restaurant, and never an argument while on vacation. I simply chose to pay and walk away.

1 Thank Rib8
Eagle River, Alaska
“Memorable”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My mom and I enjoyed this hole-in-the-wall a number of years ago. Still talking about how great it was. We ordered Eggs Benedict (to share). We sat at the counter and watched our hashbrowns being cut, and the eggs being cooked. Then the cook placed our order on two plates - perfect! The meal was wonderful, the service was great and the conversation with the cook was small-town pleasant. We will return, someday, and until then we will remember - with mouths watering. (I only marked "August 2012" because that is the earliest date TripAdvisor allows.)

• Visited August 2012
Bisbee, Arizona
“Entertainingly Bad”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I love diners. Love to watch a short order cook do their magic. But I order huevos rancheros whenever it is on the menu. My mistake as it is a labor intense prep and there were way too many short cuts here for it to be good. The cook had a formula for everything on the menu and stick with the basics. My friend enjoyed his massive kitchen sink omelet. Huge roll he could not touch. I tried it. Basically huge portions, not very good ingredients served in a galley diner with gerish lighting and a less than clean setting. I was entertained by the cook's methodical if less than inspired work. Surprised at what a dive it was considering how upscale Durango was. In that sense, it was refreshing!