“Fell short of expectations”

Steamworks Brewing Co
Ranked #8 of 196 Restaurants in Durango
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Steamworks Brewing Co. Opened its doors in Durango in September 1996. A favorite watering hole for locals and visitors alike, the brewpub has much more to offer than award-winning craft beer. Known as a town meeting place, Steamworks enjoys a bustling, fun environment. Steamworks' culinary program is unmatched in the region in both breadth and quality of offerings. The "gastropub" fare includes regionally-raised meats and sustainable seafood. Healthy salads, delicious pizzas, spicy Southwestern-style dishes, and vegetarian & gluten-free offerings provide something for everyone who's hungry. The Steam Engine Lager is "arguably the best American - Style Amber Lager in the world" as it has garnered four Gold Medals, a Silver and a Bronze Medal at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF) over the years and also has taken a Silver Medal at the World Beer Cup (WBC). Steamworks has won a total of twelve GABF medals, and two WBC medals. The brewpub maintains up to 18 styles of beer on tap.
Bremerton, Washington
“Fell short of expectations”
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Driving across country, we stopped in Durango for the night. Looking at TripAdvisor, there are several restaurants with high praise in the user reviews in town. Asking the lady at the front desk of the hotel, she recommended the Steamworks Brewing Co. We generally like breweries and the food they offer, so we gave it a shot.

The atmosphere was nice - typical of most breweries we've been to.

The beer was good - about average for most breweries.

The food was just okay. Nothing to rave about. I had the pork carnitas tacos, which were pretty good and different from what I've had most other places for carnitas. It came with black beans and Mexican rice, both of which were completely tasteless and bland. My two boys both ordered pizza, which came out burnt around the edges without so much as a "sorry we got your pizza a little well done." Since the boys' dinners came with a scoop of ice cream, my wife and I decided to try the apple crisp for desert. They should delete the word "crisp" from the title. It was like a warm apple cake with a scoop of ice cream. Again, it was just okay, nothing to rave about.

What really ruined it for us was the terribly slow and inattentive service. Granted, it seemed like our waiter was overworked and handling at least 4 if not 5 or 6 tables, but still. Our server walked past us several times without saying a word, even though we had been waiting a noticeable amount of time for him to take our order or to clear our plates when we were done eating. Even after taking our desert order, he still didn't take away our empty plates to clear room on the table.

The table next to us had similar problems and actually tried to get his attention to get him to take their drink orders, and while he acknowledged their request, he blew them off and said he'd be back in a minute.

It's possible we just had an isolated incident of bad service, but the food here wasn't good enough to make it worth putting up with the service. If I were driving through town, I'd try somewhere else.

Colorado Springs
“We went for Root Beer”
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We went on the advice of the park ranger from Mesa Verde telling the kids they had great Root Beer. The Root Beer and the server were the best of what we got. The food was just o.k., my husband had the red beer (I am not in the know on brews) it got a o.k. from him. Over all I wish we would have looked for something else, and just stopped for a root beer.

Denver, CO
“Great experience, even better beer”
Reviewed August 3, 2008

The last night of a fun, but pack-filled trip to Durango was spent at Steamworks. My family enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere, where my 2-year old neice could color and be entertained while we ate and enjoyed a beer. The lager is one of the best I've had, and the Kolsch is extremely refreshing. I also tried the chili beer, which reminded me more of a bloody mary than a beer - very unique, but good nonetheless. The house salad was one of my table's favorite - very fresh and delicious. I also recommend the calzone - which had an amazing crust, the ravioli dish was extremely good, and the special-order pizza was made to perfection. The wait staff were helpful, friendly and attentive - especially given our large party size - we were extremely well-cared for. Can't wait to enjoy some more of Steamworks beer from my local liquor store.

Gilbert, AZ
“Worst Restaurant Experience in Years”
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Wait was twice as long as quoted. Once seated we waited 15 minutes for drink orders. Drinks never came so I had to ask hostess to bring drinks. All food came out room temperature. One hamburger had not even been cooked enough to be edible. I complained to the manager (who was initially unwilling to come to the table). He apologized and asked what he could do. My wife cancelled her order so he asked her if she would just like dessert instead. They reheated the other meals and reserved them to us 10 minutes later. When we received the bill he CHARGED us for the dessert, but credited one round of drinks. We were all furious and demanded to speak with the manager again. In the end he comped the four adult meals and charged us for everything else including the dessert. The whole process took 2.5 hours. There is no point risking this restaurant when there are so many good places to eat in Durango!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Mediocre food, great beer, terrible service”
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Go for the beer and sit at the bar. There are so many places in Durango to get great food, why eat somewhere forgettable? The kitchen was "very buzy" according to our server and our blah food took forever (about 40 minutes). Maybe they should remove some tables if the kithchen can't handle the number they have. The beer is very good though, and they have some oddball flavors for the adventurous types.