“Exceptional food and service”

Steamworks Brewing Co
Ranked #20 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: American, Deli, Mexican, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Steamworks Brewing Co. Opened its doors in Durango in September 1996. A favorite watering hole for locals and visitors alike, the brewpub has much more to offer than award-winning craft beer. Known as a town meeting place, Steamworks enjoys a bustling, fun environment. Steamworks' culinary program is unmatched in the region in both breadth and quality of offerings. The "gastropub" fare includes regionally-raised meats and sustainable seafood. Healthy salads, delicious pizzas, spicy Southwestern-style dishes, and vegetarian & gluten-free offerings provide something for everyone who's hungry. The Steam Engine Lager is "arguably the best American - Style Amber Lager in the world" as it has garnered four Gold Medals, a Silver and a Bronze Medal at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF) over the years and also has taken a Silver Medal at the World Beer Cup (WBC). Steamworks has won a total of twelve GABF medals, and two WBC medals. The brewpub maintains up to 18 styles of beer on tap.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I will always remember the experience I've had at steam works after tonight.

My father is a professional brewer and I also hold a passion for beer. I have traveled to many breweries in America eager to taste new beers. However, I know how many brew pubs operate. The restaurant part is usually an after thought and I was a little iffy about spending part of my short vacation in Durango in an overcrowded mess with mediocre food and service.

I decide to go and took my three year old along. We entered the restaurant and were greeted and seated immediately. There were many people in the place which I expected and we sat at our table for about fifteen minutes before being acknowledged by our server. So I'm thinking "Great, I knew it would be like this."

How ever, as soon as the server (I think her name was Courtney), came to our table everything turned completely around. She apologized for the wait which is all I needed. I work in the restaurant business and know things get backed up. I ordered their cask and food. It took another ten minutes to get our drinks, but she came back and apologized again and told me she would buy my beer.

I ordered the cornmeal crusted red trout with slaw. It was about another 15 minutes when it came out. The manger came and delivered the food and told me my entree was on the house as well. The dish completely took pub food to a new level. I have been whining for a long time about how brewery food never matches up to the beer. I stand to be corrected. It was delicious! The portions were huge and packed with flavor: cooked perfectly. The slaw had a creative twist with cilantro and lime. The dish also had a beautiful "fine dining" presentation. My plum infused kolsch was okay, but my lizard head red was fabulous: just what I needed after a long day.

My son was also acknowledged just as well as I was, and I guess it is customary that kids get a free ice cream after the meal which was the icing on the cake: we both left happy. Steamworks really knows how to treat their customers and cook delicious food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,791)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The best part was the $2 beers! Overrated burgers...menu offers something for everyone. If you're looking for a good lively environment it's ok, but don't go for the food.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Place is large open warehouse style, it was noisy and busy - we went at 2 on a Saturday. Had to wait 15 minutes for table so our expectations might have been too high. Husband said hamburger was just okay. My quiche and salad were tasty. Doubt we turn.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have eaten here a few times and tried several menu items including their specialty that is tossed out on a piece of meat wrapping paper. Once tried a salmon salad that left me eager to get home and find something good to eat.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Steamworks is kid friendly, great seasonal brews, great service, and tasty food. Sometimes lots of guests ahead of you, but they do a good job getting people sat in a reasonable amount of time.