“Great find in Durango”

Ranked #20 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: American, Deli, Mexican, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Steamworks Brewing Co. Opened its doors in Durango in September 1996. A favorite watering hole for locals and visitors alike, the brewpub has much more to offer than award-winning craft beer. Known as a town meeting place, Steamworks enjoys a bustling, fun environment. Steamworks' culinary program is unmatched in the region in both breadth and quality of offerings. The "gastropub" fare includes regionally-raised meats and sustainable seafood. Healthy salads, delicious pizzas, spicy Southwestern-style dishes, and vegetarian & gluten-free offerings provide something for everyone who's hungry. The Steam Engine Lager is "arguably the best American - Style Amber Lager in the world" as it has garnered four Gold Medals, a Silver and a Bronze Medal at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF) over the years and also has taken a Silver Medal at the World Beer Cup (WBC). Steamworks has won a total of twelve GABF medals, and two WBC medals. The brewpub maintains up to 18 styles of beer on tap.
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

We were looking for some good local beer and decided to stay for dinner. We were not disappointed. The Backside Stout was on nitro and really good. IPA was also wonderful. Food was really good for pub fare. I had a quinoa burger and it was really well done with feta cheese and tzaziki sauce. My husband had chicken enchiladas with a smoked Chipolte that was really good. Service was great - not sure what other reviewer was complaining about as we had a great experience and will return while on our vacation.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,791)

Reviewed July 7, 2012

The food here is excellent and the beers are good, not awesome. One dollar drafts at happy hour are an incredible deal, so you can't find a better deal for microbrews. I have had better beers but am not too disappointed because of the big picture of food and drinks. Another one of those "can't decide because it is all good" menu. We have had the fabulously flavored, in-house smoked brisket sandwich (excellent), the pizzas, chopped salad with a different twist of smoked salmon added in, a salmon BLT, habanero wings, and others. My husband and I would consider ourselves foodies and love this place. Loud, fun, boisterous, and what I would call indicative of the Durango scene....straight, gay, families, hippies, you name it, you got it. I love it!!

Reviewed July 6, 2012

super selection of local beers. very wide menu to choose from. loved the greek pizza- still good 4 days later from fridge. bar first/restaurant second

Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Fun atmosphere. Family friendly. Buffalo chicken wrap super yummy. Beer not as good as carver brewery

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Being from the Front Range I know a little bit about craft beer and this brewpub is on par with best in the country. I tried the sampler which was a choice of any 6 beers they have and I loved them all. A quick glance at all the medals in the entry way let me know they had won Gold medals at both the Great American Beer Festival and the World Beer Cup and I now know why. The Backside Stout was the best oatmeal stout I have ever had. The Steam Engine Lager was also a clean and crisp amber lager (no one does lagers this well). The pale ale was awesome and the imperial pale was so well balanced I could not believe I was drinking such a big beer. The wait for a table was easily overcome by the enjoyment I got from tasting the beers at the bar. The menu was also a surprise. Lots of Gastro type fare and I enjoyed a locally sourced beef burger cooked perfectly and the bun was soft and fresh. I will be back. Well done Steamworks you guys rock.

1  Thank Rick D