“Chateaubriand and the whole evening were excellent!”
Review of Ore House

Ore House
Reserve with OpenTable
Ore House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 196 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Avenue
Transit: Trolley stop located right across the street.
Description: Established in 1972, the Ore House is one of Durango's oldest and finest restaurants. Featuring hand cut USDA certified Black Angus prime and choice steaks, steaks from ranches surrounding southwest Colorado, sustainable seafood, all natural poultry, seasonal local produce, and homemade desserts.
Durango, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chateaubriand and the whole evening were excellent!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had a celebratory dinner at The Ore House last night, and it was a perfect experience all the way around. We love the fact that they have organic options and use local meats and produce whenever they can.

We've recently had an unexpected cold snap in Durango, and I was afraid the restaurant would be chilly, so I grabbed a fleece just in case. I was pleasantly surprised to find the restaurant temperature to be just right - warm enough to feel comfortable but not too warm. The interior of The Ore House is perfect for a steak house - it has old-time pictures of local scenes on the walls and by the tables, as well as memorabilia from many of Durango's businesses. We enjoyed looking at a horse-drawn carriage on what I think was the Million Dollar Highway before it was actually a highway - it was more of a one-lane trail. It looked even scarier than it is today!

The Ore House was full of happy people who were talking and laughing, but the noise level was still excellent. I didn't notice the conversations of the people around us, and my husband and I could easily carry on a conversation without raising our voices or straining to hear each other. I love that in a restaurant, and it seems so rare these days.

We got a great table (actually, they are all pretty great tables) and our waitress Chrissy was superb. She recommended the Chateaubriand (which we had never ordered anywhere until last night). We also ordered the Mac and Cheese and Sauteed Mushrooms as sides. We started with the Organic Spinach, Wild Arugula & Duck Confit salad, which was large enough to share, and simply delicious.

I know it might sound strange to order Mac & Cheese with Chateaubriand, but this Mac and Cheese is outstanding. It is made with seared jalapenos and bacon, gorgonzola and sharp cheddar, so it's not your plain old mac & cheese! The perfect level of hotness, with melt-in-your-mouth cheese - it really borders on addictive. I found myself wondering if I could order it take-out style next week when we have company coming over for dinner...

We asked Chrissy to leave the Chateaubriand in two large hunks of perfectly cooked tenderloin instead of quartering it (one for me and one for my husband), and even though we had steak knives, I'm pretty sure I could have cut it with my fork.

We ate every bit of our very large and oh, so satisfying meal, having enjoyed the entire evening tremendously. It was one of our best restaurant experiences ever, and we'll definitely be going back to The Ore House again and again.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Debra L

New York City, New York
“Great steakhouse in Downtown Durango”
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Ribeye steak was superb, done to perfection, tender with great taste. Prices are high for Durango, but still excellent value, as the steak was better than NYC steakhouses that cost twice as much. Friendly service and rock/blues soundtrack rounded out a perfect dinner.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Stuart K
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best steak and restaurant.”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

What a fantastic restaurant. We were headed out to Arizona and ate at The ORE HOUSE on Tuesday, Sept. 24th and had the best steak we have ever eaten. Everyone was so nice and Maggie was our waitress and was so delightful. On our way back home, the following Tuesday, we stopped and had dinner again--the service was excellent, again, and Maggie was our waitress. The food was excellent, great salad, onion rings and steaks, Perfect. Thank you, Karl and Cindy Sheltz

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank windsor41
San Diego, California
“one of our last dinners”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Hotel General PALMER made reservations for us the day following a storm with hail stones, rock slides and flooding.
Very quick service, accommodating in that we wanted to share a steak. All sides come family style anyway so we had plenty including left overs. Also had to mash potatoes - so good not much for left overs.
Brussell sprouts were to die for. Mini corn muffins with bacon butter were awesome.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Naniepoppie123
spruce grove
“Pricey Appetizers!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stepped into the Ore House hoping to have dinner...however they were quite full and suggested we sit at the bar where they offered the same menu. Being hungry and tired we decided to take the suggestion. Decided to just order some appetizers...had the calamari & artichokes (just okay) My husband wanted to try the mixed grill plate for $18 (you got one elk(?) sausage, a teeny portion of pork belly and about 6 quail legs) Big price for a tiny plate!
Bartender was a delight and drinks were good....so although the bill was big we had a good time!

Visited September 2013

Been to Ore House? Share your experiences!