“Excellent”
Review of Ore House

Ore House
Reserve with OpenTable
Ore House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 199 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Avenue
Transit: Trolley stop located right across the street.
Description: Established in 1972, the Ore House is one of Durango's oldest and finest restaurants. Featuring hand cut USDA certified Black Angus prime and choice steaks, steaks from ranches surrounding southwest Colorado, sustainable seafood, all natural poultry, seasonal local produce, and homemade desserts.
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The food was excellent, the guy at the bar was rude, couldve done without that. The wait staff was great. The price was high, be willing shell out the $$$, worth every penny.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We had been traveling all day, and were looking for a steak and a good bottle of wine. We found it there, as well as tasty salads and potatoes to accompany. Stop at dinner, though, because their desserts were pedestrian. Coffee great, though. Pricey.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We've been to Durango a number of times, and it has become automatic now if we know we are going to make a reservation at The Ore House. They used to have a good salad bar, and this trip we noticed they've done away with it. But it was still a great meal. Had steaks and asparagus. My husband also ordered the mashed potatoes, and he got this heaping plateful no 1 person can eat, so he offered me some and I didn't think they were that great. But he loved them, just couldn't finish them. The asparagus was awesome, though. I ordered a medium-well filet and they said they'd butterfly it, but they didn't. So I got a filet far more rare than I like them. I didn't send it back, though, because I didn't want to completely ruin it--I do recognize that it was a perfectly good steak to most people (I just like to make certain my cows are dead!) and it was DELICIOUS. I just left the red, bloody center part and ate around it. Everything else was wonderful, though. I love that they are used to tourists, and even though it feels like a "fancy" restaurant, we can all drag in there in our shorts, tired and sweaty. They don't care...or at least they are good at acting like they don't. :-)

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Note that this is an ala-carte style restaurant, so your meals come without side dishes. When you do order a side it is almost always enough for two, with the baked potato being the exception. The regular-sized potato (think Outback Steakhouse) is usually overcooked and definitely not worth the $7 price tag. Other than that, the service is great and food is typically very good. Our favorites are the bone-in NY strip and ribeye. The ambiance is a western-style decor with dim lighting. It is good to call ahead for reservations as seating is a bit limited during tourist season.

1  Thank DasKins
Reviewed July 11, 2012

On our vacation trip we stopped in Durango, CO for two nights. The staff at the Best Western suggested the Ore House for a dinner; it was excellent. Overall food and service was fantastic, so on the following day we went to dine there again.

Been to Ore House? Share your experiences!