“Birthday dinner”

El Moro Spirits & Tavern
Ranked #14 of 207 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: El Moro Spirits & Tavern was created in the building that once housed the El Moro Saloon in the early 1900's. The food is modern-rustic: common foods from the early 20th century created with modern culinary techniques. Handcrafted cocktails, an extensive beer list and forty wines, all approachable & affordable, grace our beverage menu.
Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

Celebrated a birthday dinner at El Moro. Started with a shared cheese and meat plate accompanied by sparkling wine. Followed with a dish of duck confit and one of shrimp and grits. Both were delicious but I need to say more about the grits - Tabasco cheddar grit fries! This is something my mother used to make us when were kids except she called it fried mush. Haven’t had any fried mush for 45 years until recently at El Moro! A great treat and a splendid dinner.

1  Thank MellohYellow

Reviewed March 2, 2018

El Moro is our "Go To"place for Sunday Brunch. The service is wonderful, and the food is excellent. We usually sit at the bar and interact with bartenders. The Corpse Retriever (Bloody Mary) is very good and they have a variety of hot sauces to spice them up if desired. We favor the various Benedicts. My wife's favorite is the the Classic and my is the Goonie (crab cake ) although I would prefer if the crab cake were a little larger. Excellent in all respects

1  Thank Jeffrey P
Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

The atmosphere is nice but we felt very out of place. Stopped in for a quick lunch and ended up paying for an average overpriced burger. The service was ok, not much interaction. It is definitely a place for people with a more cultured taste.

SteamworksBrew, Public Relations Manager at El Moro Spirits & Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

We strive to ensure that all of our guests feel welcome and at home. We were so disappointed to read about how you felt out of place. We hope you give us another shot on your next visit to Durango! Thank you for your review.

Reviewed February 7, 2018

First of all they gave me hell over my federal tribal ID when I tried ordering a cocktail. Wouldn't even serve me even though I had been there more than once when I got drinks. Claimed it was company policy but I've talked to other bar tenders who worked there who said it was fine so I was very confused. Honestly I think it's a racist policy that should be changed. It would be nice too if they had been more consistent with their policies and communicate that with the staff before a situation like this happens. Also sometimes their waiters were just plain rude. Will not be coming back ever.

1  Thank Alysha A
Reviewed January 22, 2018

El Moro has a really eclectic menu of locally created dishes supported by choices for more traditional diner. If you love your cheese, go for the Bacon Turkey Grilled Cheese. Try the homemade tonic with a choice of your favorite spirit!
Lots of cheese and meat choices for small plate appetizers. More traditional? The hanger steak over mashed sweet potatoes is off the chart.
Ask for Jessalin, a great server with a terrific personality, an Italian heritage and excellent knowledge of the menu items.
This restaurant fits nicely into the Main Avenue venue and sits in a building that has been around awhile. That said, the decor is is all Durango, including the brick walls that amplify the delight of all the diners and bar guests. Bluntly, it is loud and hard to carry the conversation. Go for the pallet and then retire to the local coffee shop for the conversation.

Been to El Moro Spirits & Tavern? Share your experiences!