“Great use of local food, amazing beer list”

El Moro Spirits & Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
El Moro Spirits & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: El Moro Spirits & Tavern was created in the building that once housed the El Moro Saloon in the early 1900's. The food is modern-rustic: common foods from the early 20th century created with modern culinary techniques. Handcrafted cocktails, an extensive beer list and forty wines, all approachable & affordable, grace our beverage menu.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Took out-of-town friends here. Our waiter had an amazing command of the extensive beer list. While he recommended a beer that was $11.50/pint, he did warn us of that ahead of time and it did give us the opportunity to switch to a less-pricey option that was quite good. One beer (Colorado Kolsch) arrived lukewarm and it was quickly replaced with a frosty one. Some of the food came out of the kitchen wrong - not sure if it was the waiter or the kitchen. However, once the orders were right, the food was excellent. Great use of local meats and cheeses and my beet salad was extremely good. I've dined here before and enjoyed the meat and cheese plates (they let you choose 3 or 5 things from the menu, so you're not tied to what they want to bring you), the Scotch Egg, and my husband had a steak that he says is one of the best he's ever had. We've gone back for wine at the bar several times. The ambiance is really nice - busy, but not noisy. The decor is really cool and attractively old-style without being kitschy. The bathroom faucets are something to see! El Moro has a menu that sets them apart from other Durango restaurants. Oh, the menu thing - one for beer, one for wine, one for food, one for apps - too much - PLEASE get it all in one place. This one is in our top five for now, but the servers need to step it up a bit to stay there.

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Obviously the local bar owners are feeling the heat! This place is awesome. Great, knowledgable staff, very friendly. Largest selection of high end whiskey, tequilas and vodkas. So simplistic, they still serve ya a "tall boy" in a brown bag. Kurt is a personable, educated bartender who makes you feel at home. Even on your first visit! They kept the downtown historic vibe, which US LOCALS love! The menu can offer many different selections for All ages. Love that they are open for lunch and dinner. Go check out the bathroom, it's amazing. The cheese grater lights, nice details. Keeping it simple, but very classy. We came for a business meeting and they set us right up. Cheers to the team, great job.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I went to El Moro shortly after it opened. Service was very slow (30 minutes before somebody took a drink order after we sat down). However, the food, once we got it was good. I thought we would give it some time before going back. I have now tried it three times, but the service hasn't gotten any better. Today we tried brunch. Several people were waiting to be seated while wait staff kept walking by without acknowledging any of us. There were plenty of tables available. Finally we were seated, and yes, it was about an hour before we got our eggs. You may think the restaurant was crowed. No it wasn't. But the eggs were good.

2  Thank sinatraDurango
DGOKO, Owner at El Moro Spirits & Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear SinatraDurango,
We apologize about the level of service you have received at out establishment. As with any new business or restaurant we still have issues to work out, including staffing levels during different time periods, days & seasons. We are working to improve our level of service so that it is consistently good. Since you have enjoyed your food, we hope that you will give us another try.
Cheers,
The El Moro Team.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I have been to El Moro a handful of times now and were always excited about going back. The atmosphere is fantastic, it's a nice place but has a warm inviting feel that many restaurants lack, not stuffy or pretentious at all. The cocktail menu is very creative and I've tried many of them. Husband sometimes gets a bourbon cocktail, but also loves that they have cheap beer too. I feel like the menu really lends itself to sharing amongst friends, maybe mostly because we can never settle on just one thing. The beef marrow appetizer is phenomenal and the cheese and meat platters are great for tasting and pairing. I also really love the lamb burger, its like nothing you'll find in town with a roasted beet and feta on top. We've also shared the braised pot roast. I thought about it the whole next day! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants an fun,inventive dining experience with great food and fun, creative cocktails.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

5 of us from work went for brunch after we were told how good it was by another co worker. The atmosphere was very nice... Including the bathroom. Unfortunately that's where it ended. We asked our server at the start if we could get 4 separate checks she said no problem. When we arrived there were on 2 other tables. When our food finally arrived it was Luke warm at best my order was missing the sauce as described on the menu. The others were not impressed with the quality of their menu items as well. We re ordered drinks a couple of times and waited a long time for the to be delivered. Coffee was almost warm. When it came time for the bill we had been charged for drinks we didn't receive and our server just dropped a total bill and told us to figure it out ourselves. So we did and then she came back and told us to do it again because we had deducted the missing items. My partner and I are both in the industry....I am an Executive Chef at a private club. If my staff had performed like this at my establishment we would be having a talk in my office!

1  Thank Robbynbobby
DGOKO, Owner at El Moro Spirits & Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear RobbynBobby,
We are sorry that you had this experience. We are less than three months old and working out the kinks. You stated that you are in the food service industry, so you understand how difficult it can be when separate checks are requested. We hope you will come back and try us again. And if anything is amiss, please ask for a manager so that we can immediately solve any issues.
Kris Oyler