“Simply the nicest people I met while in Durango”
Review of China Cafe

China Cafe
Ranked #146 of 206 Restaurants in Durango
Reviewed February 12, 2017

I came to Durango for a Veterans of Foreign Wars District meeting. The VFW Post is across the street from the China Cafe where the Animas River crosses under Main Ave A very nice and beautiful location with free parking!

I walked across the street to get a panoramic picture of the VFW Post to post online and the manager and a young girl came out to greet me. We talked a little, they took some selfies with me and I just found them very generous and friendly.

I missed my chance to eat there, as I had obligations at the VFW Post, but I will come back and visit the China Cafe of Durango next time I am in the area.

I will update with a food review after I visit here again.

Reviewed November 4, 2016

Summer of 2016 brought a new family to Durango and a reinvigorated Chinese restaurant. Under new management, the China Café quality has improved significantly. The food is really tasty and prepared by the owner himself. Portions are large. The restaurant is super clean and the wait staff, supervised by the new owner, is exceptionally friendly and eager to please. They have a lunch buffet on weekdays, also a lunch menu that's a great deal. A full menu is always available too. The restaurant is located on the Animas River, adjacent to the river path. It's really fun to sit at one of the outdoor tables and watch the river and walkway activities. If you're down town, leave your car put, take a stroll north on the river path and enjoy some good Chinese food. Perfect!

Reviewed October 12, 2016

I ordered the Garlic Sauce Shrimp and when it arrived it looked and tasted as though the "cook" had opened up a can of Campbell's cream of something soup, dumped in some water chesnuts and a handful of shrimp. Very, very bland and altogether unappetizing. Portions were quite small and not particularly tasty. Cannot said we would go back.

Reviewed July 20, 2016

We ordered delivery from China Cafe the other night. Hadn't eaten there in a long time. It's pretty standard. Nothing spectacular but nothing offensive. The Kung Pao shrimp was pretty good. Decent flavor, a little heat (not too much), and nice ingredients. The Hunan Chicken on the other hand was a bit blah. Not a very distinctive flavor, no heat. Ingredients were fine but I found it boring. I like flavor and I like spicy, so when there is little of either, it falls flat for me. The sauce just seemed really generic. Next time I would try the Szechwan chicken instead. We also had pot stickers - fried. They were pretty good. Again, did the job but not spectacular. Prices are ok. Not over the top but not super cheap. It's basically very middle of the road. Lots of dishes so you'll find something you like but it could be a little hit or miss on the flavor. One of the great things about this restaurant if you eat in, is it's right on the river so you can dine on the balcony and have a view. Or, you could tube down the river and pull out for a beer!

Reviewed July 15, 2016

We ate 3 times at this restaurant because it has excllent food, wide choice of food and the service was great as was the view of the animas river and watching everyone go down on thier floating devices. Highly recommend this restaurant.