“GREAT Father's Day Lunch”
Review of China Cafe

China Cafe
Ranked #145 of 207 Restaurants in Durango
Reviewed June 21, 2016

The kids took me here for Father's Day because they know I like outdoor dining. Nice umbrellaed table overlooking the rapidly flowing Animas River. We ordered off the menu, so I cannot speak to the buffet or specials. The egg roll and Rangoons were tasty and crisp, not a hint of old oil. The House fried rice was fluffy and had an excellent meat to rice ratio. The Mongolian Chicken (3 on the 1-5 heat scale) and Szechuan Shrimp(3) were spicey and saucey with fresh vegetables. The waitress was friendly and attentive. A very enjoyable dining experience.

Reviewed November 29, 2015

Was looking for some type of restaurant on a single night stay in Durango this September and landed on this. Had 3 people in party and 1 person did get sick the night after eating the food (we did do alot of walking that day and are from out of state and not necessarily used to higher elevations, so I cannot say with certain it was because of the food at this restaurant). We got the meal which includes appetizer, soup, and main I believe. The potion sizes were good and to me it seemed the food was of average quality compares to other Chinese restaurant (nothing like the Chinese food in San Francisco). The service was a little slow. Based on all of that, I would recommend this as average. The bathrooms seemed a little dirty when we were there.

Reviewed August 29, 2015

Well it is chinese food in Durango. It was good, the rice was cold but the rest of the food was good and lots of it. There was a very prettyasian woman running it, id go back just for her.

Reviewed August 5, 2015

We have been Durango locals for almost four years, but had never tried this restaurant until a few days ago. The sign on the door read "Chinese Buffet" and that is what we were looking for. When we got inside, we were told we couldn't use the buffet unless we sat inside. The outdoor dining area has a great view of the Animas River, so we sat there and ordered off the menu. The buffet selections didn't look like much anyway. Our server was "new" (he said) and very untrained, and the restaurant was not busy at all. I ordered beef and snow peas and my wife ordered General Tso chicken. My meal wasn't all that bad, but left me with a sour stomach because the sauce was too thick, or something. My wife's chicken dish was inedible because of bad taste. She believes that was because the chicken was frozen, and I believe it was because it was fried in rancid cooking oil. Probably both things were true. It also had no sesame seeds in the breading, which this dish should have. She complained to the server. The manager emerged and offered to comp my wife's meal. When the check came only $3 of the price was deducted. With all the great places to eat in our town, we will not be eating there again.

However, the outdoor seating area was very nice, directly overlooking the rushing river. Perhaps a good place to go for a beer or cocktails with friends. The indoor seating area was rather dismal and dark (at mid day).

But when you go to the outdoor area for drinks, just don't order food.

This place needs a visit from the "Restaurant Impossible" guy from the TV show on The Food Channel. Its river front location could provide a lot of possibilities for a good restaurant. But the food and service needs a lot of work, as does the interior of the inside dining area. Finally, the parking lot is small and ill-designed (not unusual for Durango) and there is no other parking reasonably close to this restaurant.

Except for a few drinks with friends overlooking the river, this place is to be avoided.

2  Thank dolebludger
Reviewed July 13, 2015 via mobile

China cafe was an Ok experience overall. The limited parking and odd shaped parking lot could use some work. The inside is a bit cluttered and dingy feeling. The riverfront patio seating is nice.

The appetizers were very good. The steamed pot stickers and cream cheese rangoons were excellent but the main dishes lacked a little flavor. It did appear they were cooked fresh though.

Our server was nice and did a good job.