“Sublime food in a sub par food town”
Review of Thai Kitchen

Thai Kitchen
Ranked #62 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have only lived here for 17 years and yet have almost never encountered a restaurant let alone an entree on a restaurant's menu to be craved, desired or dreamed of. Why? it's a personal theory that I think would have traction with any honest local DurangoTang if they weren't afraid to offend someone they knew (who probably own or work at........you get it). Food here is tailored to the lowest common denominator, like a leave no child behind program. Made for the masses of tourists to pay for the over inflated rents main street can demand. More time and effort is put into getting you into the establishment with an uninspired design of wood floors, exposed brick interiors, expensive light fixtures and maybe some olde timey photos of the wild wild hollywood version of the west (don't worry, you won't be assaulted by this fad here) instead of creating good food and training these overly entitled little twenty something brats who only work as it is a curiosity to experience something new as their college professors might entreat. But I digress.
The food here is as good as any Thai food that I have experienced at the most cosmopolitan of North American cities and reminds me of the novelty of it when I first encountered Thai food around 1987 in Milwaukee,WI thanks to my friend Grassy. It is super fresh, the curries are outstanding, and the spice level of medium is rocking my world and I doubt even at my height of youth indulgence for spice could have handled much more than hot. Thai hot? forget it, but I would like to know more about it. I cook most of what I eat and there is something about real Thai food that I have yet to figure out, which is good, because I can still get excited about eating out in Durango, even if it is only 4 of the 175 restaurants. Oh yeah, and the aloof somewhat arrogant waiter that is always there is actually quite competent and knolwledgeable and only demanding your respect for the humble position he serves waiting on your undeserving needs. And no, he is not a friend btw.

5  Thank MountainWatersRaftin

Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I eat lunch there often and are able to split the house fried rice. The lunch includes soup which is always outstanding. I have had a stir fry and the curry, both of which should not be missed, especially the curry. The restaurant is small and very informal. Service is friendly
and the servers all seem to know the menu well. Be care when specifying how hot. Hot is very hot.

1  Thank ohpp
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

My favorite place to eat in Durango. They recently raised the prices but I don't care. The food is soooo good and it's still the best deal in town. The only problem I see with the place is that the waiters (always a young college aged male) are a distraction for my wife and there are no nubile young co-ed got young girls for me to drool over as they pour me hot tea.

1  Thank Steven S
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Our favorite place to eat in Durango! Always fresh, fast, & yummy!!! Located downtown (11th street - between Walgreens & Main). Dine in or take out. Portions are generous, but more importantly, the mix of spices is consistently excellent! Always a pleasure for the palate. Everything we've had so far has been delicious. Thank you for bringing great Thai food to our little mountain town!!

1  Thank Funinthemountains
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Thai Kitchen is my go-to dinner take out, and a favourite spot to eat-in in Durango. The decor is clean with some Thai flair (nothing fancy), the staff is always very friendly and competent, the food comes quickly, and most importantly it is delicious! The portion sizes are good and I think the prices are decent, especially for Durango. They have a good menu variety, and in my non-professional opinion the food is very authentic. They are a half block off main street and I've never had to wait for a table.