“Some of it great, some OK” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sow's Ear Dinner & Libations

Sow's Ear Dinner & Libations
Reserve with OpenTable
Sow's Ear Dinner & Libations is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 190 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Located inside the Silver Pick Lodge
Rochester, New York, United States
“Some of it great, some OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife is a musician in the orchestra for Music in the Mountains each July. We wanted to go out for one nice dinner while I was there with her for a few days, and Sow's Ear is close and one of her favorite places in the area.

The setting is beautiful, as is the whole area. The lodge is an interesting and attractive place.

There were not that many people there when we went, and our server was prompt.

We started with the Duck Confit Spring Rolls. They were delicious, though we could taste very little duck. I followed it with the beet salad. The cheese, arugula and dressing made for the perfect combination of smooth, crunchy, sweet, bitter, and vinegary. It was wonderful. And they cooked the beets perfectly - they were cooked yet with a crunch. Almost everywhere I get them they are cooked to being soft. Excellent.

My wife got a fish for her entree - I believe trout. It was so overspiced that she could not taste the fish and her mouth burned until long after dinner.

I got the Elk Tenderloin, and it was fabulous. Not as gamey as I expected (which I enjoy). The sauce and polenta were the perfect match.

We also had our four year old with us, and the staff was kind and attentive to her as well as us.

2 Thank Stephen W

Denver, Colorado
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

While staying at the Resort in Purgatory we ate at the Sows Ear. The food was delicious, a little pricey since everything was priced separately from the salad to the dessert. Cookies were $3.00 each with a bowl of ice cream. Two cookies were on the plate (6.00) and the ice cream was priced separately also. The menu just said cookies and ice cream. I had a petit filet which was tender and tasty, mashed potato ball with asparagus coming out of the mashed potatoes. The presentation was nice. Caesar salad nothing to write home about, just lettuce with croutons, a little parmesian cheese and dressing. The atmosphere is nice. Totally decorated with ski motif. We did go back another evening for dinner and the food was just as good.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank BarbDenver_Colorado
Evansville, Indiana, United States
“best steak ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

got the ribeye steak, had the best taste ever, was absloutely the most tender, will eat their again, every time i go to colorado.

palm desert, ca
“Not worth it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

There were 6 of us. I should have gotten the filet. I kept sliding off the leather chair. We got the calamari and the breaking was boring, the whole plate was boring.....no flavor. Then came the salad, I got a ceased, it was ok. I got the small entree sow belli in grits and kelp. If I ate the sow with grits all I tasted was the grits. The grits were good. I guess the pig was good too, but the kelp had a real strong flavor.. Service was good. They added a 20 percent grattuity to our bills be cause we were a group of 6 , and i dont like that. For 2 of us it was $90 and I expected better.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
dc
“Good food, amateur service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This restaurant is certainly the best choice north of Durango, and it has the advantage of beautiful views as well as convenient access to the ski resort. That being said, don't expect a major culinary experience. The menu offers something for every taste, and is one of the few places serving game. The food is well-prepared, but not in the same league with Durango's top 2 or 3 restaurants.

The servers are enthusiastic and friendly, but not polished. This is not a white-tablecloth establishment, and it's a good thing it isn't: our waitress spilled some of the red wine when pouring out the first taste. Service can be slow, but you the guest will not be rushed to vacate the table. The cheerfulness of the wait staff certainly makes up for their shortcomings.

• Visited June 2013