“New Hotel - uncomfortable cheap mattress!”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Nice location, no issues with service..didn't eat at restaurant. My biggest compliant is that the mattresses are cheap and very uncomfortable. I have stayed in so many Holiday Inns as a priority club member and this is one of the most uncomfortable beds.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank mere1426
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear mere1426,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the comfort level of the mattress prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central

Reviewed June 9, 2013

When you spend over $200 a night expections are very high. Only one employee on duty in the evening. Water was luke warm could not get hot water to shower or shave. Requested extra blankets had to go to recepection desk to get them because only one employee on duty. Returned from dinner and had to endure a large gathering of men drinking and eating in the parking lot. We had teenage girls with us and they were subject to cat calls and bad language. Went to the Sports Bar and eventually the group of men came in and continued to act poorly.Needless to say we left. This is not what I expected from a well respected Nationial Chain. Next visit to Durango we will stay elsewhere.

1  Thank Rich3337
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Rich3337,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is most disappointing to hear of your overall dissatisfaction and we are truly sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Again, thank you for your candid feedback. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Joel B

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Staying at this hotel as I write this review. Let me start by saying this is a new hotel and the rooms are quite nice. That being said, we are a family of 4 and we only had 3 bath towels. We also found the room to be lacking in blankets. Made a call down to the front desk and asked for blankets and a towel. Front desk person was short with me and said she could not bring anything up to the room as she was the only one on duty. Only 1 person working after 8 pm ??? Before I could say anything, she said her other line was ringing and she had to go. I would think at a rate of nearly $200 per night they could afford to have a couple people working. I would also add that there was a very loud group of drunks in the parking lot having a beer and pizza party . They were rude to everyone walking by and the hotel management did nothing about it. All and all a very disappointing stay at this hotel. Needless to say we will not be coming back.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you expect to have any kind of service from the staff
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Greencreeker,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow us to apologize for the service you received during your stay did not live up to your expectations and any inconvenience the noise at our parking lot may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay if you are in Durango. Was somewhat disappointed that breakfast was not included in the price of the room. We normally try to stay with Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express for those 'extras'. The hotel restaurant did offer a breakfast menu. Prices were fair; food was excellent. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Shara S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Holiday Inn Express hotel do offer a free breakfast in the morning. Since we are a Holiday Inn and Suites hotel brand, we offer a sit-down breakfast at our restaurant. Unlike Holiday Inn Express hotels, we do have an adjoining restaurant and bar and offer room service. If you decide to stay with us again, please keep in mind that we do offer a breakfast rate for a bit more. Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is a 10 minute walk to the downtown area and train station but it's nice to be a little further away. Ate at the Sports bar in the hotel and the food was fantastic. Had the rib eye steak and it was cooked perfectly. Asked the bartender who was cooking and she said a chef that was on Hell's Kitchen who place 3rd. It was evident she can cook and enjoys what she does. We did the Bus to Silverton and the train back....I think this is the best way to do the train trip. Ate at Grumpy's in Silverton...food was great....and the piano player was a great surprise.
A great stay in Durango....

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for providing such great feedback about our hotel and restaurant. We do have a new line cook, Jillian, who was in the top three of Hell’s Kitchen season eight. She is an incredible chef and has had a tremendous impact on the restaurant. We will look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

After arriving late in Durango from Mesa Verde, we decided to stop at the HI Hotel and Suites in town. While the hotel was very nicely appointed (five months old) and the front desk personnel were pleasant, the attached restaurant (The Sporting News Bar and Grill) was quite poor.

Upon arrival at the hotel (and after a long day of travel), my wife decided to take "advantage" of the on-site restaurant while I started the check in process. Unfortunately, there was no restaurant staff present to greet customers and my wife had to physically track down a waitress. After finding a waitress and placing an order, the waitress suggested that we could have the food delivered to the room. As my wife did not know the room number, the waitress instructed my wife to call the restaurant after arriving in the room. Upon entering the room, my wife called the restaurant as instructed and a gentleman answered the phone who was completely clueless as to our order and asked my wife to hold. After 7 minutes of waiting for someone to come back to the phone, I told my wife to hang up and I would go down to the restaurant. After arriving downstairs to the restaurant, the staff still did not have a record of our order and then informed me that the requested item (pepperoni pizza) was no longer available. I then placed an order for a different item. After several MORE trips downstairs to check on the order, the items FINALLY arrived via room service 1.5 hours after initial check in (and overpriced at $43 for a pizza, chicken tenders and a salad).

To top things off, this hotel does not have a standard breakfast as almost all other HI hotels do within the network (FYI...I'm a Priority Club member who stays in a lot of HI properties each year so I know). Rather, you're forced to eat (and pay for an overpriced) breakfast at the aforementioned on site restaurant which wasn't going to happen given a $175 rate for the hotel and a $43 "dinner" the night before.

Frankly, if you're going to be staying in Durango for the Durango-Silverton Train, we'd recommend that you stay in the HI Express located in Farmington, NM (about 1 hour South of Durango). You'll save AT LEAST $75 per night and can stay in a nice (and new) HI Express hotel which actually has a standard HI Express breakfast (hot).

A word to the wise.....Durango hotels are WAY overpriced, especially considering the nice and new options that are only 1 hour away to the South in Farmington, NM. A brand new hotel was being built beside the HI Express in Farmington as an FYI and Three Rivers Brewery and Restaurant in Farmington, NM is recommended as well.

My ratings include the hotel + the restaurant as they are linked (and unfortunate for the hotel).

1  Thank WJC31589

Dear WJC31589,

Thank you for your review. Guest satisfaction is one of our many goals and I am disappointed that our staff and restaurant did not meet your expectations. While it may be true that breakfast is not complimentary with every rate (like the Holiday Inn Express's) we do serve breakfast in our restaurant. We do have special rates which includes breakfast that you can also avail. Your comments have been taken very seriously and have been shared with the Management Team, in order to help us improve further the service that we have to offer.

Zelyn N

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The young lady at the front desk when we checked in on the evening of May 5, 2013 lied to us that the AAA rate was the same as the regular rate. When I logged onto the Internet and showed her the AAA rate, she said she would give us that rate IF it would make me happy! She kept insisting there was no AAA rate and the Holiday Inn & Suites web site was wrong. She was arrogant and seemed to be training a young man on how to stick it to their patrons. I was furious so that is one of the reason for my low rating on this Holiday Inn. I do not like to be treated rudely and lied to when I am paying almost $150 a night for a small room with minimal amenities and no breakfast or coffee. Holiday Inn Express offers breakfast and a better room for less money. Beware and make sure you know the difference between Holiday Inn & Suites and Holiday Inn Express. You need two room card keys because the card key has to be in a slot by the door to keep the lights on. Internet access was slow. Restaurant/Grill is pretty bad so you have to leave the hotel to find a meal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elaineonvacation
Shara S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about our hotel. The feedback you provide truly helps us improve our property. I am sorry that you did not have a good experience at our hotel. We do indeed have a AAA rate here; however, sometimes rates online can differ slightly. I am glad that we were able to match the rate that you found online. The Holiday Inn and Suites hotel brands are different from Holiday Inn Express brands in that they are full service hotels. This means that they do offer breakfast, lunch and dinner at the adjoining restaurant. We do have a breakfast rate available to all of our guests if they chose to have breakfast included with their rate. New hotels that are being built are going green in order to be more eco-friendly. That is why we are doing our special light system, so that we can save electricity when our guests are not in their rooms using the lights. One again, I am sorry that you had trouble at the time of check in and that you were unaware of the differences between our hotel brands. Hopefully this gave you a better understanding of the differences between the two hotels. Once again thank you for your response and I truly apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel.