“Great for a break when on vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Durango Community Recreation Center
Ranked #1 of 8 Fun & Games in Durango
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The 71,557 square foot Durango Community Recreation Center offers a Lap and Leisure Pool, Hot Tub, Water Slide, Outdoor Splash Pad, Racquetball Courts, Indoor Track, Aerobics Studio, Gymnasium, Youth Games Area, Cybex Free Weights and Pin Loaded Weight Equipment, Cardiovascular Equipment, Climbing Wall, meeting rooms, outdoor playground and Babysitting.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great for a break when on vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

My family and I visited while on vacation. My children are 6 and 9. We intermingled our touristy adventures with two trips to the rec center. The exterior is very well maintained with a nice playscape. The interior of the building is clean and inviting. The price for an entire family is a little expensive at about $20 for the four of us. There were reduced price punch cards, but they started at 20 punches. So, vacationers will be paying the higher price. They rent towels for $1 and thankfully we brought our own. They also have locks, for rent I imagine, but we brought our own.

The first day, my kids tried the climbing wall and we played basketball for about 3 minutes. We briefly watched some racquetball players and looked upstairs to see the track. I saw some bikes and assume there are other workout machines up there.

My kids' main purpose was to get into the pool. The locker rooms were clean and the lockers were large. Upon entering the pool, my kids were in heaven. They immediately headed for the large, waterpark style, multiloop slide. My kids spent the majority of their 3 hours on the slide. The end of the slide was pretty shallow and even shorter kids could touch. While the rules said one person per slide, I saw many very small children coming down in an adult's lap.

There was a large shallow area for young kids. It had lots of fun stations for the kids- castle, frog slide for little ones, squirt guns, and squirty stationary things for kids to climb on. I think this part was about 2 feet deep. I saw many little children and babies in this area.

There was a lazy river type attraction that was probably 3.5 to 4ft deep. In the middle of the river and separated by a wall was a whirlpool. Second to the slide, my kids spent lots of time in here. There was also a hot tub. Next to all of these areas was a 3 lane lap area. I mainly saw water aerobics going on over there.

In another area of the pool were 2 diving boards (high and low) with deep water. At the end of this was a shallower end (3.5 or 4 feet). There were many lap lanes next to this where swim teams appeared to be practicing.

There was a splash pad outside, but the water coming out was so cold that my kids left after a few seconds. I'm sure it warms up as the summer progresses.

Inside the pool there are lots of plastic chairs and benches. Just stake your claim. We kept hearing a noise that we thought was someone releasing the kraken. Turns out it was a swimsuit water extractor.

The lifeguards seemed friendly and all business.

On our second trip, we paid for our kids only because we were just going to watch them and not get into the pool. I wish we knew this was a option on our first day because my husband and I did not swim that day either.

This is such a great place and quite a gem for Durango.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank TexTravelChick

Albuquerque, New Mexico
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Something different to do when you're tired of the tourist attractions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

We've found that a lot of towns in Colorado have pretty good community centers; we've been told it's because that's where the lottery money goes. Well, Durango's community center does not disappoint. It has a pretty good pool, a fitness center, and even a climbing wall. The climbing wall hours are limited, so check before you go. One entrance fee gets you in, and you can do any (or all) activities. It's great for tourists, too, since the daily fee is quite reasonable.

Visited June 2014
Denver, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good climbing wall...mediocre pool.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Went there with my kids while on vacation. The climbing wall was great. Our pool experience was not. My kids literally jumped into the pool once before some loud and overly aggressive lifeguard blew his whistle and yelled for all kids to get out of the pool for an adult swim. I am fine with the concept of an adult swim, but they literally made kids get out of the kiddie pool where they had a castle and water gun fixtures in less than 2 feet of water. There is no "adult" aspect of that area. I think that policy should be reviewed and applied to only the areas of the pool that are clearly intended for adults. In general the poo area was okay, but nothing to get excited about.

Visited December 2013
Durango, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“every community needs one of these”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Fantastic indoor pool area - lazy river, hot tub, very large children's pool safe for all ages with numerous slides/toys, large halfpipe style water slide for kids and adults alike, olympic sized pool with low and medium high dives. Mens, Womens, and family locker rooms/dressing rooms with showers. day entry fees/monthly memberships and yearly memberships. childcare for $2/hour. fantastic assortment of excellent work out classes - something for everyone, every age and every ability/interest. indoor basketball and jogging track, indoor climbing wall. wide array of work out equipment.

Visited October 2013
Aspen, Colorado
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Beautiful facility”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We went for a swim meet and was thoroughly impressed. Building is recent, pool is very nice and great for little kids. Excellent climbing wall. Easy in town location and a good rainy day option. I would have liked for a swimsuit extractor in the locker room.

Visited September 2013