All reviews box canyon tent sites camping experience beautiful campsite quiet at night county road travel trailer tow vehicle bath house full hookups dog park fire pit nice folks new owners laundry facilities working order close to town
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Don’t go there if you would like to be treated well and welcomed! The entire staff were rude, sarcastic, unwelcoming, and highly unaccommodating. They could not care less about you - the customer - and ensuring your stay with them is as good as possible. You pay upfront when you arrive, so once they get your money, you become persona non grata. The office isn’t open very much and it’s not like you’d get what you need out of them anyway.
If you have kids, prepare to entertain them yourselves - any “attractions” they claim for kids is far-fetched. The “playground” is a dirt area with dead grass, a rusty, old metal slide, a couple of rusty swings, and a tether ball that has seen better days - so it’s no wonder they don’t include a picture of it on their website.
They also didn’t bother disclosing to us that the creek is totally dry, despite the fact that we asked for a location on the creek. So, that was a waste.
The pool was good enough for the kids, but, yesterday they had it closed all day originally due to the “weather” concerns (although it was the same weather as the previous days when they had the pool open all day), and then the story changed and they didn’t want to open it because it would take too long to clean. After enough complaints, I guess, they opened the pool on the most gorgeous afternoon and it was full of all of the kids in the campground. What a waste it would’ve been and incredible disappointment if they had continued to be unaccommodating for their guests.
They’re really missing out on a great opportunity to do more for their guests, especially the kids. There were so many kids, but they didn’t offer anything like we’ve seen in other campgrounds like a “movie-under-the-stars” type of activity or a smores night.
But, hands down the worst of all was the staff. They made us feel so unwelcome and as if we were a burden or bother to them, and to leave us with the worst possible parting experience, when I went to the office to hand in my cabin key, the woman wouldn’t even open the door all the way for me and was very curt and when my little daughters asked if they could get one more lollipop from the free bucket, the woman said “no, we have customers to take care of” and she shut the door in their faces. I was horrified! Will NEVER go back there again and I do NOT recommend it to anyone else; not until it gets better management and staff, at least.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank Jbhines
Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for several nights, and while we very much enjoyed the campground itself, great location, nice setting, the office staff could have been more friendly, and not as though they were annoyed when asking for information. A younger couple, who we assumed were the owners, were very friendly, making the rounds to check on visitors, on the spot to ensure everything was taken care of.

Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank FrogFam
Reviewed July 20, 2018

Great place for families and only minutes to/from Durango. Wifi at the office and laundry was great, but wifi around the entire site would have been even nicer (i realize we are camping... but we're more of clampers). All services and facilities were great with super friendly staff.

Room tip: Wifi is only at the office/laundry area
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2018 via mobile

So green. Close to town. Lots of shady trees. Pool was spotless. Showers and bathrooms and laundry all also spotless. We liked the little dog park and used it for other dogs every day.

Very close to town. 5-10 minutes to restaurants, grocery, etc. yet you could only hear crickets at night.

I will say the wifi and cell are bad. You get some at the office but due to the box canyon and the fact there are few neighbors... owners say they can't do much until an adjacent area builds and hopefully brings better service.

Family owned with new owners this year... they were all nice and helpful, offering help with our RV, tips on local stores, looking up trails, etc

Landscaping was natural but well maintained. Quiet, safe park. No problems with our full hookups. Most spaces seemed level.

Date of stay: June 2018
1  Thank SCVerMF
Reviewed June 19, 2018

I'm looking for a campground to stay in Durango for a few days. I read the wonderful reviews, but when I went on their website I saw that the park is under new ownership and they charge a $2.00 per night pet fee. This just rubs me the wrong way. We'll stay somewhere else. Too bad. It sounded nice otherwise.

Date of stay: June 2018
2  Thank SillyAnn1
Marti L, Owner at Lightner Creek Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2018

Hi SillAnn1, I am really sorry you are disappointed in our pet fees. I'd like to mention that while we are new owners we HAVE NOT yet changed any of the rates, including the $2 pet fee. The main reason behind the fee is that we do dispose of pet waste (both packed nicely by the owners in our waste containers as well as those who choose not to pick up after their pets), as well as for insurance and liability, which factors into our overhead cost. We are very concerned with creating a positive experience for our guests, so that said, please let me know the name on your reservation and I'm happy to refund you the pet fees. In the interim, I will review this concern with my team to determine if any changes should be made. Thank you so much for the feedback and I look forward to hearing back!
Best,