“No wait for table. Dinner at the bar!”

Chimayo Stone Fired Kitchen
Ranked #15 of 196 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chimayo Stone Fired Kitchen is a contemporary American bistro with a southwestern flair. Fresh salads, creative small plates, artisanal pizzas, and fire-roasted steaks, chicken and seafood are prepared in twin 600+ degree stone hearth ovens in an open kitchen. The Owners have restored the interior of the historic Century Building on Main Avenue, revealing turn-of-the century Carnegie steel support beams, the original maple hardwood floor and decorative tin ceiling tiles, and the original brick wall. These historical elements, along with the expo kitchen, rollup windows, and 35-foot curved bar, create an urban industrial loft setting for a unique Durango dining experience.
Port Aransas, Texas
“No wait for table. Dinner at the bar!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We loved the mushroom pizza. It was delicious with the caramelized onions. I enjoyed the blood orange margarita. It was wonderful. The only negative at the chimayo was that the huge ovens sent alot of heat my way. Could've been a hot flash but my hubby was hit with the heat wave too. Other than that, we loved Chimayo and will go back.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank portacurlygirl

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
“A Foodie Destination Restaurant - worth a long drive”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Southwestern unmatched gourmet. Anyone will love the food but foodies will be astounded.

We had Skillet Cornbread, Passionfruit Tuna Ceviche, Stuffed Pablano Chile. Simply amazing.

The care, the ingredients, the flavors - oh my. And the interior is great; the booths are art,

Our friends are terrific cooks, and we’ve been lucky enough to sample nice restaurants all over the country, and a fair bit of the world, but the dishes here are something very special.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank John P
Denver, Colorado
“Skip this restaurant”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place. The atmosphere is very cool and the menu looked great. I arrived on a Sunday night with my family of 4. I asked for a booth. I was told that the booths were reserved for parties of six or more. I asked "do you have that many parties of six?" The hostess said "you would be surprised." I was surprised because I had walked past the restaurant many times on Friday and Saturday and the restaurant looked empty. Sure enough, at the end of our meal all of the booths were still empty and there were only a few people in the restaurant. The food was just ok. The $9.50 guacamole was bland. The pork tacos were nothing special. The margarita was $10.50 and was mostly ice. I was very disappointed with the service, the food and the prices.

7 Thank valstrem
ChimayoDurango, Owner at Chimayo Stone Fired Kitchen, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We apologize if you did not get the seating you desired, and if our policy was not clearly communicated. We only have four tables in the restaurant that can seat parties of 5 or more--which are the booths that can seat up to 8 people. We reserve them during our busiest hours in order to accommodate larger parties. So we apologize if the timing didn't work out for you this time. And, we're sorry you thought the guacamole was bland--other reviewers seem to think it rather spicy! Thanks again for your feedback and we do hope you'll come visit us again.
buckeye, az
“Good Food!”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We both ordered tacos, fish for me and beef for my sister! They were very good, very different than what we were used to but very fresh and delicious. The service was ok. We would probably go back again.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank SusieQBuckeye_Az
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Fresh creative menu, gorgeous interior and friendly service in downtown Durango!”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Our first impromptu trip to Chimayo based on numerous recommendations from friends. We were delighted with the stunning decor, interesting fresh menu choices, comfortable surroundings and friendly service. We tried the House Braised Pork Taco Salad and Fish tacos -- both delicious! All freshly prepared to order. We will be back - and soon!

• Visited May 2014
ChimayoDurango, Owner at Chimayo Stone Fired Kitchen, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
We are pleased that you enjoyed your overall dining experience here at Durango. The fish tacos are a staff and customer favorite. Thank you also for pointing out that our menu is freshly prepared, with most items made from scratch. And, we really appreciate the photos you posted, thank you for taking so much time to provide us feedback.