“If you have children don't bother going here”

Chimayo Stone Fired Kitchen
Ranked #18 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chimayo Stone Fired Kitchen is a contemporary American bistro with a southwestern flair. Fresh salads, creative small plates, artisanal pizzas, and fire-roasted steaks, chicken and seafood are prepared in twin 600+ degree stone hearth ovens in an open kitchen. The Owners have restored the interior of the historic Century Building on Main Avenue, revealing turn-of-the century Carnegie steel support beams, the original maple hardwood floor and decorative tin ceiling tiles, and the original brick wall. These historical elements, along with the expo kitchen, rollup windows, and 35-foot curved bar, create an urban industrial loft setting for a unique Durango dining experience. PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR CURRENT MENUS.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I'm writing this review to cancel out my good review from last summer. Yes we've come to this restaurant two years in a row but will NEVER go back.

The mangaer/owner woman was EXTREMELY rude to our large party after she took our $500+ ticket. She said it's an adult establishment and they don't want kids. Convienent though that they didnt mind our kids when we had the largest ticket of the night.

So it's really as simple as that, if you have children, do not go here.

3  Thank Dominic G

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Shared a pizza and salads with friends and drinks - many happy hour specials to choose from. Had the Palisades Peach salad - only wish it had more peaches in it. The staff was all wonderful - we lingered for over 2 hours and never felt as if we had overstayed our welcome...
Their outdoor seating consists of four 2-seat cafe tables - but with the windows all rolled up you feel like you're outside just the same.

2  Thank SchoolCrew
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had made reservations weeks ahead for our group of twenty, asking for a high chair. Confirmed that morning, reminding them of our need for a high chair. Asked for 8 separate checks for each family/couple before ordering and went round and round, but they finally did it...making several mistakes, I might add. There was no baby changing station in the small bathroom, so when we left we mentioned to the manager, Birgette, that it would be a nice service to their customers to have one. She replied, "we prefer to be an adult establishment, we don't want small children here." We'll....guess they should have told me that when I made reservations ahead and asked for the high chair, or before we paid their high prices -dropping over $500 for all of us, or before we had to pay a 20% gratuity. We will never return, lots of other great places in Durango instead of putting up with being treated rudely.

2  Thank IBMItalianByMarriage
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I like this place but have had hit or miss experiences with food and drinks. Please note that when ordering a $9 cocktail that ends up being $12 with tax and tip, a patron should thoroughly enjoy the experience. Why else do we go to restaurants and spend that much on a cocktail if not for the pure pleasure of it? With that in mind, please see the link below which shows the proper way to muddle mint for a cocktail. The mint should never be broken up into little pieces that get stuck in the straw which ruins the experience. Neither should it be muddle to the point of the stems breaking open which make it bitter. The key is a gentle muddle that only bruise the mint but does not break it up into pieces. I sent my drink back because of it being full of hundreds of little mint pieces but the bartender seemed surprised: so here's a tutorial. Thanks! I am really rooting for this place to improve and survive the plethora of restaurants in Durango!!

1  Thank swtranslations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

There were some delicious smells coming from the open windows, so my BF and our friends decided to stop here for lunch. I had a Kirsch Royal while the other adults had some micro-brews. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meals, and I especially liked my Huevos. The chili has the right amount of kick without making your head explode. Portions are generous as well and the service was fantastic.

1  Thank PartTimeGypsy