“Chimayo Stone Fired Kitchen”

Chimayo Stone Fired Kitchen
Ranked #18 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chimayo Stone Fired Kitchen is a contemporary American bistro with a southwestern flair. Fresh salads, creative small plates, artisanal pizzas, and fire-roasted steaks, chicken and seafood are prepared in twin 600+ degree stone hearth ovens in an open kitchen. The Owners have restored the interior of the historic Century Building on Main Avenue, revealing turn-of-the century Carnegie steel support beams, the original maple hardwood floor and decorative tin ceiling tiles, and the original brick wall. These historical elements, along with the expo kitchen, rollup windows, and 35-foot curved bar, create an urban industrial loft setting for a unique Durango dining experience. PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR CURRENT MENUS.
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I visited Durango a few days ago as we wanted some different scenery rather than the hot, flat lands of Kansas where we live. We used to live in Montrose Colorado in the 70's, so we enjoy going back to the Western Slopes of Colorado as often as possible. Eating at Chimayo's in Durango, was a fantastic experience. We sat at the bar to watch the chiefs cook. We enjoyed the food so much that we went back a couple of days later. Starting from the food; fish, peach salad, their sauces, macaroni to die for, desserts, to those who waited on you, was just a great dinning experience. If you are in the area, you will want to dine at Chimayo's.
Carol and Bob

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We've been coming to Durango for 20+ years and have tried pretty much all the restaurants at one time or another. Imagine our excitement to see this inviting, finely appointed new place on Main Street. Yes, you'd make an initial assumption that the food would be Southwest or Mexican style, but it's more eclectic with a slant toward pizzas and pastas. The ingredients are local and the flavor combinations are unique and fun. My husband and I had the grilled vegetable salad, which can be split as an appetizer. It was quite good, only a tad heavy on the sugar in the dressing. My husband had a pizza, which comes on an artisan focaccia type crust, which was quite tasty. I had the cavatappi pasta dish, full of butter and cherry tomatoes and basil. Simple but elegant, and yummy. We were most pleased with their take on Manhattans, our favorite cocktail. Instead of using sweet vermouth, they substitute Gran Marnier. At first we were skeptical, but it was sooooo good! In fact, I'm going to mix up a batch when I get home with their recipe.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Right on the main drag in old Durango, this place opens up on the street with huge windows that let the cool night air in in the summer. A beautiful bar is to the left backed by a brick wall. Somewhat dark and mysterious, you walk to the back and there bar seating in front of the pizza ovens where most of the cooking is done right in front of you. You can talk to the friendly chef's as they work, and be amazed that this kitchen has only 2 stand alone stove burners where all this great food is cooked. Most of the food is cooked in the oven, but the sauteed shrimp, fish,pasts is done in a pan right in front of you. It is a husband(chef) and wife owned place that is really top notch. Try the stuffed pepper, or the meatloaf-really great!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Again, we went with our daughter and her family, this time for dinner. Chimayo emphasizes local products, and they were in a "peach frenzy." I had a peach martini, which was like drinks and dessert rolled into one. We split some pizzas and a rissoto cakes small plate and a peach tart for dessert. They do a great job with small plates, which makes it nice for a light dinner, but they also have some good looking dinners on the menu. The atmosphere was comfortable and the service outstanding. We will go there again when we're in town!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We booked a reservation for 14 at Chimayo's and a large table was waiting for us when we got there. We were assigned two waitresses and service was friendly and prompt. (No fight about splitting checks). I got the appetizer of bread and spicey butter, which was absolutely fantastic. The bread was fresh and tasted great and the butter was spicey and sweet, perfect appetizer. I ordered the house sausage and ricotta pizza - simply amazing!!!! The crust is very thin yet tasteful and not hard. The house sausage was superb and ricotta fresh. I am Italian and this pizza was very unique, unlike anything I'd ever had yet absolutely amazing. The next three nights we were in town I wanted to go back and order the same thing