“Enjoyable afternoon, lunch and market!”
Review of James Ranch

James Ranch
Ranked #11 of 71 things to do in Durango
Canton, Georgia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Enjoyable afternoon, lunch and market!”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Just north of Durango on 550 (Million Dollar Highway), this place is open Saturday's only in May then also during the week when the weather is more predictable into the summer.

Absolutely worth the stop if you're just riding by and a MUST stop if you are staying in the area.
This family owned and run enterprise has been in Durango for more than 50 years. The James parents raised 5 children here and all of them have come home to work separate enterprise sections of the farming. This is a true local success story in my book! The siblings individually support enterprises in the raising of organic chickens and eggs, organic farming, a farm to table family run grill where you can get the hands down best burger in the area, organic milk production from which they make their cheese and more!

We had already planned to stop in today to check out their meat, eggs and cheeses for sale in their market. This morning a neighbor in the RV park suggested we might enjoy having lunch there - that was their plan for after errands. With that recommendation in mind, we ran our other errands and stopped in to see what was what.

The Ranch provides information to allow for self guided tours. The market sells all manner of fresh frozen grass fed organic beef, sausages, 'dogs', etc. as well as fresh brown and green eggs, home made cheeses and more. We perused the items at the market and then sat down to lunch at one of the picnic tables provided. What a fantastic view we had out across the valley, the meadows where their cows were grazing and the mountains in the background!

For lunch I couldn't make up my mind. The signature burger looked amazing...but then so did the 'inside out' grilled cheese sandwich with carmelized onions. Wanting both I took the high road and ordered a kid's sized burger and a kid's sized 1/2 inside out sandwich. i was NOT disappointed! The burger was juicy and more flavorful than any I can recall. Perfectly sized at 3 oz. and cooked just this side of medium it was garnished with my choice of garlic mayo, lettuce, caramelized onions and a grating of James Ranch cheese. The inside out sandwich was grilled heaven! gooey cheese melted inside the bread with my choice of additional caramelized onions was made that much better by the caramelized cheese on the OUTSIDE of the 2 pcs of bread. Hubby had the steak sandwich and said it was fantastic...must have been cuz he didn't so much as offer me a nibble. LOL

We also enjoyed conversations with 2 of the James girls today and learned a lot about the ranch and the business. Wish we lived nearby as we'd support this place heavily!

the durango dogs we bought at the market will be part of dinner tonight - going along with my red beans and rice. betting they'll be as yummy as everything else we enjoyed here.

NOTE: no alcohol is sold onsite so if you've gotta have a beer with your burger you're kinda out of luck. if my hearing was correct as we were leaving there was discussing about getting their license to allow sales of beer but that would be in the future. I can just see (taste) having a Durango Brewing Company Wheat Beer with a Signature Burger or Steak Sandwich!

Visited May 2014

Phoenix, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best organic burger”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Enjoyed a great burger prepared by a gracious family owned and run farmers. Stop by and learn the history of the James family who take great pride in the quality of their vertically integrated locally produced meats and cheeses.

Visited February 2014
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Best Beef and Veggie Burgers”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stopped here for lunch and it was delicious. My husband and I ordered one veggie and one beef burger. They were both phenomenal. I wish I didn't live so far away. At least I can order their cheese and have it shipped to me.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank MarriedTravelers99
TEXAS
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“JAMES RANCH”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a great place to visit. They have a great tour of there 400 acre's. Everything that they have is organic, from there vegetables,meat and cheese, are all produce there. One night a week they have music. You can get a great steak sandwich and the music for $20, such a deal. A must stop.
BUD CARTER

Visited August 2013
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very interesting!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Went here with my husband and 4 year old daughter and took the tour. I thought the main attraction would be watching her see the animals, but was very interested in how the James family runs their farm and business. It really gets you thinking about where the food you eat comes from. We ate at the grill when we were done with the tour and the food was delicious! My daughter enjoyed petting the goats and eating her hot dog. Bear in mind the tour is geared more for adults than children.

Visited August 2013

Been to James Ranch? Share your experiences!