$105
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$186
$167
Doubletree.com
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $191/night.

Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
$136
$179
Homewood
$187
$171
Hampton Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$176
$159
Hampton.com
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$117
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
$128
$120
Strater Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
$170
All reviewslone spur cafetrain stationpalace wingteddy bearsthe main hotelcd playercontinental breakfastpresidential suiteinterior roomcookiesvictorian decormain streetcharming hotelnoise from the streetstained glasstiny elevatorkeurig coffee maker
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Pamphlets and photos are misleading. Victorian building and lobby, yes, rooms no. Bathrooms updated circa 1970's with 1970 style. Hotel needs to either restore "in period" or modernize to "luxury" standards. Another Hotel 1 block down the street also in prime location to downtown. Straiter or Stratton? Looks much nicer quality wise. More luxurious in Victorian standards. Heat is boiler system, so heaven help you if you dont have an outside window (which most rooms don't). Breakfast was muffins and coffee-not even homemade muffins at that. Bed was comfy but had dirty bedspreads (and no, they are not just victorian era. they are 1990 era imitations.) I've stayed in worse, but don't expect the flavor of the lobby to carry on upstairs. overall complaint is that the owners are not reinvesting the money to keep the place at the top of where General Palmer would have liked his reputation to reflect.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank N0madic1
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I was very disappointed in this hotel. Durango is very expensive so the price paid for our accomodation at this hotel was reasonable for the area but still quite high for what we felt we got.

While I understood the hotel's decor is supposed to be in keeping with the late 1800's, not a high point in history as far as taste goes, I was still disappointed in my room. The dark woods, hideous floral wallpaper and dark carpeting were depressing. There was a lovely old dresser in the room that I appreciated. But frankly, other than that positive, our room was just... ugly. Plus, I couldn't sleep. There was a skylight above our door that let in bright light from the hallway. It was miserable. To top it off, the room's cleanliness wasn't up to par. When I moved the coffeemaker to make room for my things there were coffee grinds everywhere. Plus the bathroom could have been a little cleaner. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable and we aren't picky in that regard. Their continental breakfast was very basic, especially for those of us who don't enjoy sweets in the morning. However, the cookies they put out in the lobby in the afternoons were delicious and tasted homemade.

We didn't find enough to do in the area to keep us more than one night and we were very unhappy with our room so we wanted to leave after just one night even though our reservation was for two nights. To their credit, they were very nice about this and didn't penalize us for checking out early. So they do try. To be fair, my sister stayed here two months before my visit on her Southwestern trip and she loved it and enjoyed puttering around the town of Durango for an entire day. I stayed at this hotel on her recommendation and planned on devoting two entire days to the area on her say-so as well. Many seemed to enjoy the authenticity of the public rooms. It just wasn't a good fit for us.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 8Chocolate
Reviewed November 3, 2009

The nice thing about the General Palmer is its location, near restaurants and the other amenities of an historical district. The bad thing about the General Palmer is its location--right beside the depot for the Durango-Silverton Railroad. Thus, every morning from 7:30-8:30 you are serenaded with train whistles and bells practically underneath your bedroom window! Not a place for late sleepers!
We found the staff to be fine--no complaints. But my bed listed to starboard and almost put me on the floor a couple of times! Our room was small. It tended to overheat in the afternoons and evenings. I think next time we'll try somewhere farther away from that train station.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I stayed at the General Palmer the weekend of October 23- 24, 2009. The entire purpose of the trip was to propose to my girlfriend. The manager and all of the staff helped me with room selection, arranged to have flowers and truffles waiting for our arrival, and helped me with my every need. They made a very romantic and comfortable surrounding and helped me to create a memory that will last a lifetime. The room service and continental breakfast were exceptional and the room was large and luxurious and included all amenities. I strongly suggest The General Palmer for any and all occasions (especially romantic ones). They are definitely the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, she said yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whowle
Reviewed October 24, 2009

There were 3 couples in our group, the first indicator of this stay not being what we had expected was the only reservation on file was for me and my wife, our friends were not listed. We were all supposed to have rooms with windows and we had a confirmation. The staff put 2 couples in rooms without windows and they were very uncomfortable due to heat. We were in a room with a window and our room became comfortable with the window raised to allow 40 degree air in from outside. The staff said the heat was off and there was nothing that could be done for the rooms without windows. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable, but the HVAC is not what you would expect in a 4 diamond hotel. The hotel is in a great location.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends