“Good value, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of General Palmer Hotel

General Palmer Hotel
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Durango
Brisbane, Australia
“Good value, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I knew nothing about Durango when I booked to go there, but am glad I did...a beautiful river, some great local attractions in close proximity and some really good brew pubs.

Asking a friend where to stay, he said that I should stay at the General Palmer, an original hotel in the middle of town.

It was a great choice...excellent parking, a short walk to restaurants, shopping and pubs and a different place to stay.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful making the stay great fun...and I slept like a hibernating bear in a huge, comfortable bed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
paulanelson, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear (CamMBris01)
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of Durango Co. and the General Palmer Hotel. We all appreciate it very much! Durango is a pretty fantastic place to live and work, and it is always nice to hear when a guest has enjoyed their visit.
Thanks again, Paula

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Holt, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were in a two room suite in the Palace Annex, Room 258, July 8-12, 2013. The room was beautifully furnished. We enjoyed the convenient entrance door that opened right on Main Street. Our room faced the street and was quiet even with the windows open. Be aware that there is no elevator to these rooms but parking is available right at the bottom of the stairs in the parking lot.

We enjoyed the coffee and cookies in the lobby and the breakfast was good and served in a lovely setting.

The toiletries in the room were plentiful and a good quantity. My only suggestion would be a shelf of some kind for guests' items. It was an awkward setting to get ready in the morning and I had to put my own items in the sink in order to have access to them.

There was a large closet in one room and a good sized cupboard with shelves in the smaller room. With four adults in the room, we enjoyed the storage space.

We highly recommend the General Palmer--great location, wonderful staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
paulanelson, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear "Green Chili Fan"
(I know, I love Green Chili too),
Thank you so much for your review, I do sincerely appreciate them all. We are "pondering" how to change the bathroom configuration, and you are right there just isn't a good place to put your toiletries in the bathroom. Each year we remodel at least a few rooms, hopefully this will be one we attack this winter.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I've been coming to Durango for over 20 years and have never stayed here until July of 2013. I don't know what took me so long. The hotel is immaculate. The staff (especially Hannah) is SUPER friendly and you can't get a better location. You will not be disappointed. We had a very comfortable room that accommodated our family of four very easily. If you are visiting Durango and want the PERFECT downtown hotel that is literally walking distance to everything downtown, stay here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear "Leash Y"
Immediately upon reading your review I made certain to show Hannah, she was so happy to hear that you had written a review and used her name. She does remember you! Personally I think Hannah is simply amazing. I remember talking with you as well, and thank you for your wonderful review.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

A friend suggested that we booked our stay here enroute to Utah and the decision to stay here was a great choice.

Friendly staff and very nice rooms....we stayed at the annex area.

Love the teddy bears.....although I would say a bit pricey.....

Love our cocktail hours at the bar .

Breakfast was superb and the cookies at the front desk area is a most welcome treat.

Only downside is that the wi-fi provided by the staff is only good for the main hotel area....there is wi-fi in the annex but it is very weak and one couldn't really do much hope that the management would work on that area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Castro_Maverick
I will definitely look into the weak Wi-Fi signal at the Annex! Thank yo so much for writing a review of your stay with us. Ahhhh the cookies, we here at the hotel have create personal boundaries as they are so yummy. So tempting, they are!!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This historic hotel is very comfortable from the moment you enter. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The rooms are a little small by today's standards, but they are beautifully furnished
and the bed is very comfortable. We were on the 3rd floor facing the main street of town and on
Sat. night the noise from the people leaving the bars was a little bothersome, but it only lasted
a short time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "Tusitala10"
I was so happy to hear of your stay with us at the General Palmer, knowing that you enjoyed yourself and found the hotel to your liking means everything to us.
Woodland Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Staff were friendly and over the top helpful from my first contact making a reservation to my check out. The room was beautifully appointed and beyond clean...it was immaculate with beautiful dark wood furnishings, full length mirror, and elegant bathroom fixtures. I had friends staying in a different hotel in town and they waited for me in the lobby of the General Palmer...it was so nice, and we sat for over an hour visiting since it was as comfortable as my own living room. Ice water, cookies and coffee were available to guests in the lobby, which was very convenient and a real treat while I visited with my friends. Breakfast buffet was elegantly presented with china and real silverware. Location is in the middle of town, which is convenient to walk to all the restaurants/shops, yet the hotel itself was very quiet. In short, I loved it at the General Palmer and will be back for sure as it was one of my best hotel experiences in a LONG time!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maureen0716
Dear "squirtmouse"
Thank you so very much for your review of your stay at the General Palmer hotel. I truly appreciate the accolades and happy to hear we could make your stay with us so memorable.
Palmyra, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were greeted by the bellman when we arrived and he was very helpful with questions about Durango. We were in room 301 with a view of main street. The room was very comfortable and spacious. If you are not good with stairs I would request a room on a lower floor as the original elevator is a neat experience but its very small. We stayed here for 2 nights and loved being right in the heart of town. The train is just a few steps from the front door and very convenient. The rooms are very clean and include an array of nice amenities. There was a pitcher and glasses for water, coffee maker, ice bucket and wine glasses with opener. A CD player in the room was a nice touch along with the free wifi. The breakfast was good and plentiful with a good array of food choices. We enjoyed out stay and when in town would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie P
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hi Julie
You guys are awesome! I passed on your review to "our bellman", I told him personally how you appreciated his help, all our guys are just the best, so sweet and so willing to help.
Thank you again.