General Palmer Hotel
Strater Hotel(Durango)
Durango Lodge(Durango)
Residence Inn Durango(Durango)
View Hotel
All reviewslone spur cafetrain stationteddy bearsoriginal elevatorthe main hotelcd playercontinental breakfastpresidential suiteinterior roomvictorian decorhalf blockmain streetcookiescharming hotelnoise from the streetstained glasshistoric property
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 15, 2013

First time business traveler at the General Palmer and it was perfect for me.
Staff from reservations to check in to check out were terrific. The room was spotless (I really like clean) and well appointed with antiques.
Breakfast was just a little weak with the packaged eggs and no fruit, but otherwise very good.
I had a business meeting in the "living room" just by the lobby and that was quiet and perfect to for business.

Downtown, quiet, great service, clean--tough to beat.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, not the annex.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear, "azpoet"
I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at the General Palmer Hotel. Our housekeeping staff truly takes great pride in what they do, so it will be nice to be able to pass on the kudos to them.
Thank you so much!
Paula

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We stay here whenever in town for the train, which is usually 2 to three times a year. The rooms are always very clean and we love the atmosphere and great location on main street. Parking is great as well.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear jcfjeemo, Thank you for your review, and thank you so much for choosing us as your home away from home. All of us at the General Palmer love what we do and we always thrilled to hear we have done well.
Sincerely, Paula

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Arrived at the General Palmer on Monday 6-3-13 a little early and was advised by the teenage bellman in the parking lot to go ahead and park because our room was ready. We pulled into the parking space and the bellman was on us for our luggage. We told him that we would carry our own luggage in and he refused to accept that answer and rudely said that we could not carry our own luggage in. This teenage bellman took our luggage and when we arrived at the check in desk the girl at the front desk, either Hanna or Nancy, told us and the bellman that our room was not ready. The bellman disappeared for a few minutes and then we were told the room was ready. We then went up to the third floor and entered our room after tipping the bellman. We then heard a knock on the door and were told by the maid that she had to clean the room and she started vacuuming. This was totally unacceptable and I went to the front desk demanding to speak with a manager. Paula Nelson heard me and came out of her office. I explained what had happened about first being told by the bellman that our room was ready and then told by the front desk clerk that it was not ready and mysteriously after a few minutes it was ready and then after we entered the room the maid showed up to clean the room. The only answer Paula Nelson could give was sorry. Come on, its obvious that the bellman only told us the room was ready was so he could get his tip for carrying our luggage that we wanted to carry in the first place. General Palmer is suppose to be a first class hotel but this is more like motel 6. Checked out and stayed at the Strater Hotel down the street. Much classier and more onsite amenities. And by the way as I was leaving I saw the teenage bellman in the hallway and asked for my tip money back and he said " no way man." I had to laugh as this young kid has a scam going on.!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kristi99
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Kristi99
Again I do sincerely apologize for the miscommunication, However I am happy to hear that you were still able to enjoy your visit to Durango, it is simply an amazing little town. As a Town we have so much to offer each and every traveler.
Thank you for taking the time to share your views of the General Palmer Hotel it is truly how we grow and learn of our guests expectations.

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night, wish it was longer. The hotel was decorated in an old west Victorian style. It had an old fashioned tiny cage elevator so I preferred the stairs. The room was spacious with 2 really comfie queen beds and a spacious bathroom with nice toiletries, hair dryer, separate double sinks from the toilet/shower area. Fresh home made cookies at noon. The only slight issue we had was that when we first turned on the water some rusty water poured out. We choose to have the staff provide us with a jug of water for drinking.
Location was excellent as you could walk around the scenic old town where there were tons of cute shops, great restaurants and neat statues. The silvery in railway was next to the hotel so very convenient and the views were breath taking. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was only a 15-20 minute drive to the airport. I would definitely stay here again and definitely visit Durango for longer!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank hikesedonachick
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear "hikesedonachick"
I totally agree one day in Durango is simply not enough time to explore the diversity of shopping, hiking, rafting, museum viewing, etc. etc. I absolutely love Durango, I have been here 21 years and am still in love with it. You will just have to come back for another visit! Thank you too for your review of the General Palmer I am happy to hear that it was one of the highlights of your visit to Durango.
Sincerely, Paula

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Room 205, Queen

The hotel has a great downtown location, especially for the well known train and
many shops and restaurants. Niceties abound: the old style elegance of the
building and the public areas; comfortable, inviting lounge/lobby area, wonderful
2nd floor open-air deck, long breakfast hours (6-10am) which includes the possibility
of in-room delivery of breakfast at no additional charge; noon check-out; friendly
staff; free on-site parking

The room was found to be very clean and comfortable; it is compact in size as is to be
expected in an old building yet the stay is enhanced by very good amenities
including: high-end toiletries, a free-standing make-up mirror, 2 suitcase stands,
plenty of lamps, complete coffee & wine service, a decent flat screen tv, a flashlight,
an extension cord, and good quality antique furniture and 2 robes. The room does not have a
microwave, refrigerator or safe.

Room Tip: Room 205 facing north was quiet and had an ok view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi "Devontheroad"
1st I wanted to thank you for writing a review regarding your stay here at the General Palmer. My staff is just amazing, from my point of view, they all work so hard to make everything so perfect for each and every guest. I am so pleased when they get to see that their care has been seen and appreciated.
Cheers, Paula