“Cool Place!”

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Pittsboro, North Carolina
“Cool Place!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the area. This is located in the heart of downtown and walk around the corner to the Durango Train Station! The decor made you feel right back there in time with the train station. Very friendly staff, clean and well decorated rooms with antiques. They also had a nice continental breakfast nook and lots of seating to enjoy! A must stay if you can!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Hi Michelle
Thank you so much for your wonderful review we all appreciate it!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Pasadena, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a charming well located hotel. Everything is an easy walk away. Serves breakfast with the room and the adjoining restaurant is also very good. We had a three bedroom suite BUT one bathroom. Also one bedroom is open to all so sleep in your underwear. The hotel is nexdt to the train station so you can greet the morning and afternoon train. The train museum is fun too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you "Ralph" for taking the time to write a review on your stay here at the General Palmer. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay!! You will have to come back again, we are remodeling about 8 rooms and they will be absolutely stunning. All new plumbing, bathrooms, furnishing, etc. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Norfolk, Nebraska
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This place was wonderful, a great value and AAA four star rated! Only one complaint; bed was too soft, which is no small thing, should be replaced. Hotel is in the midst of great restaurants and shps. Train station is one block away! Beautiful place. We would go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello John, Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I really do appreciate it. Thank you for letting me know about the bed, sometimes we don't know unless a guest tells us. We can't wait for the train to start up again, we actually realized we miss the morning whistle.
New Mexico
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We liked it! Had a suite that overlooked the comings and goings of the Silverton train. Easy check in. Helpful staff. Centrally located to all things downtown Durango or the the highway access to Purgatory or Mesa Verde. Outside of the train in the morning and evening, it was quiet and restful. It is a bit pricey for a suite but sometimes you gotta splurge.

Besides it was the atmosphere we're experiencing... better than a coockie cutter chain motel.

Room Tip: Go for the outside rooms. Inside ones do not have windows... Its an old hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
So wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay here at the General Palmer, Durango is such a wonderful town to visit and we hope you choose to do so again soon.
Trinidad, Colorado, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We spent the worst night of our lives here at this hotel. The bed was touted to be a queen size bed, which we sleep in comfortably every night at home. It was either just a double bed, or, the significant sag in the middle of the bed caused my husband to sink into the middle of the bed giving me no room. This is not hubby's fault as he tried all night to stay on his side, but kept sinking into the middle. I'm a 56 year old woman and haven't slept on the floor in many years. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd have to sleep on hotel carpet, I would have slept on the floor.

The next morning I told the girl at the front desk about my horrible night. She apologized, but I could tell she was just being polite. She didn't really mean it. I asked for the manager, she was out. I asked that the manager call me... no one ever called me.

The lobby is charming. The room was clean enough. The location -- perfect. It wouldn't take much to tack that wallpaper back onto the wall, but that was mminor. Thus, I'm not giving it even fewer stars. But is it too much to ask for a good night's sleep?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I would like to take a moment and apologize for your mistreatment at our hotel. Thank you for letting me know of your dissatisfaction during your stay! We strive to do our best all times, and I am taking to heart what you have said and will certainly address the issues you have pointed out.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

In checking in the front desk clerk was not friendly at all and provided poor customer service. Our room was ready bt check in time but otherd were not and she called someone on staff asking why not in front of the guests checking in and said that the manager was going to be mad! The young man that helped with the luggage was very nice. Room was small but nice. Parking and location is great. Breakfast is ik. The other front desk clerk...name tag said manager was helpful and friendly with great ideas. The first one never even thanked us when we checked out or looked up from the computer to acknowlege guests standing there. Nice hotel. Could do so much more for breakfast!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review of The General Palmer Hotel, I always appreciate hearing about our guests have been treated during their stay at our hotel. It is how I can improve upon our customer service skills. Thank you, again, Paula
Shreveport,Louisiana
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My Wife and myself stayed at the Palmer House early Sept. we really enjoyed ourselfs,the people were very very nice and helpful, the breakfast was very good,the young man who layed it out did a great job. the room was very cozey.

Room Tip: Take the hint, treat youself to a nice treat.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dennis D
Thank you very much for your review, I am so glad to hear that you had a great stay with us. I have been able to upgrade the breakfast a bit, added the much needed protein! Thank you again, Paula