$158
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$201
$180
Doubletree.com
Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
$166
$160
$196
$162
$179
Homewood
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$162
ComfortInn
Hampton Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$179
Hampton.com
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
$141
$132
Strater Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
$187
All reviewslone spur cafetrain stationpalace wingteddy bearsthe main hotelcd playercontinental breakfastpresidential suiteinterior roomvictorian decorcookiesmain streetcharming hotelnoise from the streetstained glasstiny elevatorkeurig coffee maker
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is a lovely old hotel that sits on the main street of Durango which means that you are right in the middle of the activities! Yes, the train station is behind the hotel but after staying here 3 different times in the past 8 years, I must say that I was never bothered by the train whistle! The breakfast setting is so pleasant with a choice of a dining table or pretty sun porch. The breakfast offerings are good. I do agree that the new beds are wayyyyyyy too high -what a huge mistake someone made! While they are very comfortable I think that I would cut off the legs!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Paula N, Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for you r review, and thank you for staying with us throughout the years!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

The General Palmer has everything you'd want when visiting Durango. Great time period hotel that is immaculately kept, clean grounds, breakfast & quality rooms with all the nice fittings. The staff is professional and very helpful. It's well located & overall, fairly priced. I would only recommend staying in the main hotel, as the other wing I think is newer and may not have the character the main hotel does.

Room Tip: Check out the room first
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Hercules9:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate it very much and I am so glad to hear that you had such a great time staying with us. We all try very hard and love what we do, happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and Durango as a city.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had stayed at The General Palmer twice before. Once we were in the actual hotel and the other we were in what the hotel calls the "Palace Wing". I made our reservation this time assuming we would actually be in the hotel. When we checked in, we found we were once again in the "Palace Wing". I have always thought of a "wing" of a building as being attached, not across 200 feet of asphalt. There is no elevator in the "Wing", so we lugged our luggage up to the room. The room was fine, but the bed was 36" high! My wife and I are of normal height, and in reasonably good health, but getting in and out of bed was still a hassle. I can't imagine what smaller, more feeble guests would do. A large part of the appeal of the hotel is the lobby, balconies and sun room, but these are located in a different building across the parking lot! It seems to me that we should have been notified when we made the reservation that we would not be in the hotel. We will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you will be in the actual hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elklovers
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor. We do appreciate all of our reviews. We were very surprised ourselves when we set up the brand new beds in "The Palace Wing". We had no idea that they would be so tall, I do apologize! We have just recently ordered step benches for the beds.
Paula

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This hotel has a great location, right on Main St in historic downtown Durango. We got lucky with finding a free room when we arrived, without making reservations.

We stayed in what we were told was the quieter annex, and it was quiet. Beware, however, that this hotel is right next to the train station for the Silverton train. There is a lot of bell ringing and train horn honking during the day. However, the rooms have pretty good insulation and this was not nearly as intrusive as I feared.

The bed mattress was amazingly comfortable. Beware also, that the beds (or maybe just ours) are very tall. You really do have to climb into it. Perhaps this is not the case for all beds.

This is a pretty old hotel and one of the downsides is that there are not as many electric plugs as you may wish and they are not located as conveniently as you might wish. If this is important to you, then you might want to bring an extension cord.

The linens on the bed were very nice, as were the pillows. It was also nice to have terry cloth bath robes. There were very nice toiletries in the bathroom.

My only quibble is with the breakfast. For the niceness of the hotel, I expected a nice breakfast. However, this was no better, and even a little worse, than what one can find in most roadside hotels these days. The china was nice, yes, but otherwise, it was a standard continental breakfast. There was no fruit at all (bummer!), premade belgian waffles, two kinds of small (looked like store bought) muffins, some bread and english muffins, cereal and yogurt. No eggs, no bacon, no sausages, no nice pastries. I had high hopes for the pastries (can you tell I'm a foodie?) because there is a french bakery right across the street, but no such luck.

There is coffee available all day long, though, and cookies in the early evening.

On the whole, the location is great and the price is a good value for the quality of the sleep you will get on the very nice beds.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank yo so much for your review, we sincerely appreciate all of our reviews, they help in many ways. Glad to hear you liked the mattress, and your stay in "The Palace Wing". We actually have guests who request that their room be in this wing as it is quieter! Have a great rest of the summer and hope to see you again.
Paula

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Great room, comfortable and clean. Right downtown so walking to restaurants, train, shops, Outlaw kiosk, etc... Only thing was continental breakfast was never replenished. Stayed three mornings - food was good and appropriate for continental breakfast, but was almost always depleted. Informed personnel and was told - not my job. Fix that and you have a great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to create a review on trip advisor. I am so very sorry about your continental breakfast experience! We are still delving into the reality of a more appropriate offering of foods, fruit, proteins etc. Please feel free to let me know of any ideas you might have that could help.