$158
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$201
$180
Doubletree.com
Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
$166
$160
$211
$162
$179
Homewood
Hampton Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$196
$179
Hampton.com
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$162
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
$188
$132
Strater Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
$187
All reviewslone spur cafetrain stationpalace wingteddy bearsthe main hotelcd playercontinental breakfastpresidential suiteinterior roomvictorian decorcookiesmain streetcharming hotelnoise from the streetstained glasstiny elevatorkeurig coffee maker
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The General Palmer has everything you'd want when visiting Durango. Great time period hotel that is immaculately kept, clean grounds, breakfast & quality rooms with all the nice fittings. The staff is professional and very helpful. It's well located & overall, fairly priced. I would only recommend staying in the main hotel, as the other wing I think is newer and may not have the character the main hotel does.

Room Tip: Check out the room first
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Hercules9:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate it very much and I am so glad to hear that you had such a great time staying with us. We all try very hard and love what we do, happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and Durango as a city.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had stayed at The General Palmer twice before. Once we were in the actual hotel and the other we were in what the hotel calls the "Palace Wing". I made our reservation this time assuming we would actually be in the hotel. When we checked in, we found we were once again in the "Palace Wing". I have always thought of a "wing" of a building as being attached, not across 200 feet of asphalt. There is no elevator in the "Wing", so we lugged our luggage up to the room. The room was fine, but the bed was 36" high! My wife and I are of normal height, and in reasonably good health, but getting in and out of bed was still a hassle. I can't imagine what smaller, more feeble guests would do. A large part of the appeal of the hotel is the lobby, balconies and sun room, but these are located in a different building across the parking lot! It seems to me that we should have been notified when we made the reservation that we would not be in the hotel. We will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you will be in the actual hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elklovers
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor. We do appreciate all of our reviews. We were very surprised ourselves when we set up the brand new beds in "The Palace Wing". We had no idea that they would be so tall, I do apologize! We have just recently ordered step benches for the beds.
Paula

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This hotel has a great location, right on Main St in historic downtown Durango. We got lucky with finding a free room when we arrived, without making reservations.

We stayed in what we were told was the quieter annex, and it was quiet. Beware, however, that this hotel is right next to the train station for the Silverton train. There is a lot of bell ringing and train horn honking during the day. However, the rooms have pretty good insulation and this was not nearly as intrusive as I feared.

The bed mattress was amazingly comfortable. Beware also, that the beds (or maybe just ours) are very tall. You really do have to climb into it. Perhaps this is not the case for all beds.

This is a pretty old hotel and one of the downsides is that there are not as many electric plugs as you may wish and they are not located as conveniently as you might wish. If this is important to you, then you might want to bring an extension cord.

The linens on the bed were very nice, as were the pillows. It was also nice to have terry cloth bath robes. There were very nice toiletries in the bathroom.

My only quibble is with the breakfast. For the niceness of the hotel, I expected a nice breakfast. However, this was no better, and even a little worse, than what one can find in most roadside hotels these days. The china was nice, yes, but otherwise, it was a standard continental breakfast. There was no fruit at all (bummer!), premade belgian waffles, two kinds of small (looked like store bought) muffins, some bread and english muffins, cereal and yogurt. No eggs, no bacon, no sausages, no nice pastries. I had high hopes for the pastries (can you tell I'm a foodie?) because there is a french bakery right across the street, but no such luck.

There is coffee available all day long, though, and cookies in the early evening.

On the whole, the location is great and the price is a good value for the quality of the sleep you will get on the very nice beds.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank yo so much for your review, we sincerely appreciate all of our reviews, they help in many ways. Glad to hear you liked the mattress, and your stay in "The Palace Wing". We actually have guests who request that their room be in this wing as it is quieter! Have a great rest of the summer and hope to see you again.
Paula

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Great room, comfortable and clean. Right downtown so walking to restaurants, train, shops, Outlaw kiosk, etc... Only thing was continental breakfast was never replenished. Stayed three mornings - food was good and appropriate for continental breakfast, but was almost always depleted. Informed personnel and was told - not my job. Fix that and you have a great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Paula N, Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to create a review on trip advisor. I am so very sorry about your continental breakfast experience! We are still delving into the reality of a more appropriate offering of foods, fruit, proteins etc. Please feel free to let me know of any ideas you might have that could help.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My mother selected the General Palmer and, as she and my dad, and my aunt traveling with them, are all in their 80s, we decided we'd better stay here too. I wish I'd done a little research and dissuaded her, though, because this hotel was not appropriate for my mother and aunt, who have some mobility issues.

First, the positives:

1) Outstanding location and free parking - I did not need to move my car except to drive to Mesa Verde. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad depot is just down the block, and the verandah on the back side of the hotel is perfect for watching the trains come and go. Restaurants and shopping are an easy walking distance.

2) Lovely decor and comfortable room - The guest rooms and public areas really evoke the Old West Victorian era. We were in room 204, which had a window overlooking College (6th). It was a bit small (the closet, in particular) but adequate for the two of us. The bed was comfortable and we did not have any issues with excessive noise.

Now, the negatives:

1) The elevator. I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone who has breathing, strength or mobility issues. The period elevator is difficult to use - you must hold open a big brass door, and then wrench open the wrought-iron gate, and the tiny elevator can only hold three at the most and felt claustrophobic. My mother and aunt could not handle this elevator on their own - and unfortunately, one day they were also stuck in it for about half an hour!

If you're in good physical shape and pack lightly, you will be fine here - but I recommend always using the stairs. To their credit, the staff was good about helping my mother and aunt with the elevator.

2) The breakfast. I realize this historic hotel does not have a restaurant or full kitchen, but I was very disappointed in the continental breakfast. It was very heavy on (bad) carbs. The only protein was in the milk for cereals, and yogurt - and it was the SAME flavor both days I ate here. NO fruit, which, in my opinion, would be easy enough to add. I'd also recommend adding some cream cheese and/or cottage cheese. We stayed here four nights, and I had oatmeal and yogurt the first two mornings, because we needed to get an early start (taking the train ride one day, and driving to Mesa Verde the other). The last two mornings, we opted to go to the bakery across the street which was excellent - I could get some protein!

Conclusion:

I think the hotel could easily fix the breakfast issues, and I would consider staying here again. I am going to recommend it to my cousin who is a train buff and would love being so close to the depot. With no guest rooms on the ground floor and the cute but difficult elevator, this is not an appropriate choice for people with breathing, strength, or mobility difficulties.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank riofriotex
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write the pros and cons of your stay here at the General Palmer. They are very important to us and help us to make necessary changes based on our guests needs and expectations of their stay at a 4 Diamond establishment.