$140
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$162
ComfortInn
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$252
$227
Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
$160
$179
Homewood
$211
$180
Hampton Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$196
$179
Hampton.com
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
$147
$138
Strater Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
$182
All reviewslone spur cafetrain stationpalace wingteddy bearsthe main hotelcd playercontinental breakfastpresidential suiteinterior roomvictorian decorcookiesmain streetcharming hotelnoise from the streetstained glasstiny elevatorkeurig coffee maker
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This hotel has a great location, right on Main St in historic downtown Durango. We got lucky with finding a free room when we arrived, without making reservations.

We stayed in what we were told was the quieter annex, and it was quiet. Beware, however, that this hotel is right next to the train station for the Silverton train. There is a lot of bell ringing and train horn honking during the day. However, the rooms have pretty good insulation and this was not nearly as intrusive as I feared.

The bed mattress was amazingly comfortable. Beware also, that the beds (or maybe just ours) are very tall. You really do have to climb into it. Perhaps this is not the case for all beds.

This is a pretty old hotel and one of the downsides is that there are not as many electric plugs as you may wish and they are not located as conveniently as you might wish. If this is important to you, then you might want to bring an extension cord.

The linens on the bed were very nice, as were the pillows. It was also nice to have terry cloth bath robes. There were very nice toiletries in the bathroom.

My only quibble is with the breakfast. For the niceness of the hotel, I expected a nice breakfast. However, this was no better, and even a little worse, than what one can find in most roadside hotels these days. The china was nice, yes, but otherwise, it was a standard continental breakfast. There was no fruit at all (bummer!), premade belgian waffles, two kinds of small (looked like store bought) muffins, some bread and english muffins, cereal and yogurt. No eggs, no bacon, no sausages, no nice pastries. I had high hopes for the pastries (can you tell I'm a foodie?) because there is a french bakery right across the street, but no such luck.

There is coffee available all day long, though, and cookies in the early evening.

On the whole, the location is great and the price is a good value for the quality of the sleep you will get on the very nice beds.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank yo so much for your review, we sincerely appreciate all of our reviews, they help in many ways. Glad to hear you liked the mattress, and your stay in "The Palace Wing". We actually have guests who request that their room be in this wing as it is quieter! Have a great rest of the summer and hope to see you again.
Paula

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Great room, comfortable and clean. Right downtown so walking to restaurants, train, shops, Outlaw kiosk, etc... Only thing was continental breakfast was never replenished. Stayed three mornings - food was good and appropriate for continental breakfast, but was almost always depleted. Informed personnel and was told - not my job. Fix that and you have a great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Paula N, Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to create a review on trip advisor. I am so very sorry about your continental breakfast experience! We are still delving into the reality of a more appropriate offering of foods, fruit, proteins etc. Please feel free to let me know of any ideas you might have that could help.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My mother selected the General Palmer and, as she and my dad, and my aunt traveling with them, are all in their 80s, we decided we'd better stay here too. I wish I'd done a little research and dissuaded her, though, because this hotel was not appropriate for my mother and aunt, who have some mobility issues.

First, the positives:

1) Outstanding location and free parking - I did not need to move my car except to drive to Mesa Verde. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad depot is just down the block, and the verandah on the back side of the hotel is perfect for watching the trains come and go. Restaurants and shopping are an easy walking distance.

2) Lovely decor and comfortable room - The guest rooms and public areas really evoke the Old West Victorian era. We were in room 204, which had a window overlooking College (6th). It was a bit small (the closet, in particular) but adequate for the two of us. The bed was comfortable and we did not have any issues with excessive noise.

Now, the negatives:

1) The elevator. I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone who has breathing, strength or mobility issues. The period elevator is difficult to use - you must hold open a big brass door, and then wrench open the wrought-iron gate, and the tiny elevator can only hold three at the most and felt claustrophobic. My mother and aunt could not handle this elevator on their own - and unfortunately, one day they were also stuck in it for about half an hour!

If you're in good physical shape and pack lightly, you will be fine here - but I recommend always using the stairs. To their credit, the staff was good about helping my mother and aunt with the elevator.

2) The breakfast. I realize this historic hotel does not have a restaurant or full kitchen, but I was very disappointed in the continental breakfast. It was very heavy on (bad) carbs. The only protein was in the milk for cereals, and yogurt - and it was the SAME flavor both days I ate here. NO fruit, which, in my opinion, would be easy enough to add. I'd also recommend adding some cream cheese and/or cottage cheese. We stayed here four nights, and I had oatmeal and yogurt the first two mornings, because we needed to get an early start (taking the train ride one day, and driving to Mesa Verde the other). The last two mornings, we opted to go to the bakery across the street which was excellent - I could get some protein!

Conclusion:

I think the hotel could easily fix the breakfast issues, and I would consider staying here again. I am going to recommend it to my cousin who is a train buff and would love being so close to the depot. With no guest rooms on the ground floor and the cute but difficult elevator, this is not an appropriate choice for people with breathing, strength, or mobility difficulties.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank riofriotex
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write the pros and cons of your stay here at the General Palmer. They are very important to us and help us to make necessary changes based on our guests needs and expectations of their stay at a 4 Diamond establishment.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed in the General Palmer Hotel in January 2012 with my family. Fabulous hotel, very comfortable beds, great staff, period decor and in an excellent location in Durango. Coming from Australia we were excited to be in Durango with the historic buildings and other attractions. We found the locals very friendly and helpful, a great place for a stopover when touring Colorado.

Could not recommend the General Palmer Hotel high enough. Will definitely stay in this hotel when we return next time.

Room Tip: As we were travelling with our adult children it was great to have individual rooms each with own TV. Upstairs room overlooking main street - 3 bedrooms. A must do, take a drive through to Silverton for some outstanding scenery and quaint historic buildings.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chrisants

Can't thank you enough for the wonderful review of your stay here at the General Palmer Hotel. We all work very hard to help our guests enjoy the hotel and Durango, I am glad to hear that we have succeeded.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great Old West Victorian style hotel and attention to detail carries the theme through. It was a fun stay and nice to be next to the train yard. Very fun. On the downside, it is noisy (I am a light sleeper) and the breakfast was nothing to get excited about, but was good enough. Staff was friendly and I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your review, we sincerely appreciate this and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.