$109
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$186
$167
Doubletree.com
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $191/night.

Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
$136
$187
$171
HolidayInn.com
$179
Hampton Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$176
$159
Hampton.com
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$117
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
$128
$120
Strater Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
$170
Hotels.com
All reviewslone spur cafetrain stationpalace wingteddy bearsthe main hotelcd playercontinental breakfastpresidential suiteinterior roomcookiesvictorian decormain streetcharming hotelnoise from the streetstained glasstiny elevatorkeurig coffee maker
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My mother selected the General Palmer and, as she and my dad, and my aunt traveling with them, are all in their 80s, we decided we'd better stay here too. I wish I'd done a little research and dissuaded her, though, because this hotel was not appropriate for my mother and aunt, who have some mobility issues.

First, the positives:

1) Outstanding location and free parking - I did not need to move my car except to drive to Mesa Verde. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad depot is just down the block, and the verandah on the back side of the hotel is perfect for watching the trains come and go. Restaurants and shopping are an easy walking distance.

2) Lovely decor and comfortable room - The guest rooms and public areas really evoke the Old West Victorian era. We were in room 204, which had a window overlooking College (6th). It was a bit small (the closet, in particular) but adequate for the two of us. The bed was comfortable and we did not have any issues with excessive noise.

Now, the negatives:

1) The elevator. I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone who has breathing, strength or mobility issues. The period elevator is difficult to use - you must hold open a big brass door, and then wrench open the wrought-iron gate, and the tiny elevator can only hold three at the most and felt claustrophobic. My mother and aunt could not handle this elevator on their own - and unfortunately, one day they were also stuck in it for about half an hour!

If you're in good physical shape and pack lightly, you will be fine here - but I recommend always using the stairs. To their credit, the staff was good about helping my mother and aunt with the elevator.

2) The breakfast. I realize this historic hotel does not have a restaurant or full kitchen, but I was very disappointed in the continental breakfast. It was very heavy on (bad) carbs. The only protein was in the milk for cereals, and yogurt - and it was the SAME flavor both days I ate here. NO fruit, which, in my opinion, would be easy enough to add. I'd also recommend adding some cream cheese and/or cottage cheese. We stayed here four nights, and I had oatmeal and yogurt the first two mornings, because we needed to get an early start (taking the train ride one day, and driving to Mesa Verde the other). The last two mornings, we opted to go to the bakery across the street which was excellent - I could get some protein!

Conclusion:

I think the hotel could easily fix the breakfast issues, and I would consider staying here again. I am going to recommend it to my cousin who is a train buff and would love being so close to the depot. With no guest rooms on the ground floor and the cute but difficult elevator, this is not an appropriate choice for people with breathing, strength, or mobility difficulties.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank riofriotex
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write the pros and cons of your stay here at the General Palmer. They are very important to us and help us to make necessary changes based on our guests needs and expectations of their stay at a 4 Diamond establishment.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed in the General Palmer Hotel in January 2012 with my family. Fabulous hotel, very comfortable beds, great staff, period decor and in an excellent location in Durango. Coming from Australia we were excited to be in Durango with the historic buildings and other attractions. We found the locals very friendly and helpful, a great place for a stopover when touring Colorado.

Could not recommend the General Palmer Hotel high enough. Will definitely stay in this hotel when we return next time.

Room Tip: As we were travelling with our adult children it was great to have individual rooms each with own TV. Upstairs room overlooking main street - 3 bedrooms. A must do, take a drive through to Silverton for some outstanding scenery and quaint historic buildings.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chrisants

Can't thank you enough for the wonderful review of your stay here at the General Palmer Hotel. We all work very hard to help our guests enjoy the hotel and Durango, I am glad to hear that we have succeeded.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great Old West Victorian style hotel and attention to detail carries the theme through. It was a fun stay and nice to be next to the train yard. Very fun. On the downside, it is noisy (I am a light sleeper) and the breakfast was nothing to get excited about, but was good enough. Staff was friendly and I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your review, we sincerely appreciate this and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Planned only one night, but it was such a good location and overall experience that we stayed a second night. Room 206 was a bit small, but #307 was big and beautiful. Fun balcony. Close to Main Street and train depot. Well run, friendly. Would stay again, in fact I look forward to it.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms. Some have windows and some interior rooms do not.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you Bob for your glowing review of the General Palmer Hotel. Our entire staff is dedicated to helping you have the best vacation ever. Glad that we were a part of making that happen!

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Beautifully done, lovely comfortable beds. We stayed in room 206 for three nights in June. We could see the old steam trains go by in the morning and return at night, as we had a lovely view from our room as we had two very big windows. The only thing that let this great quality hotel down was the inferior breakfast. |Not what you would expect from a quality hotel such as this one. There was a couple of breakfast cereals, fruit loaf, muffins, waffles, jams,yoghurt, but no bread, boiled eggs, or fruit salad which is a shame really. Apart from that there you could not fault the place. So central for the durango railway, which we went on to silverton. The station is almost next door to the hotel which is great after a full day out on the train, & on return a cup of hotels lovely coffee which was always on offer. We would definately highly recommend this hotel & if in the area would stay again for sure.

Room Tip: great views of steam trains from room 206
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple