“Great Location-historic ambiance.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Durango
Moab
“Great Location-historic ambiance.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Planned only one night, but it was such a good location and overall experience that we stayed a second night. Room 206 was a bit small, but #307 was big and beautiful. Fun balcony. Close to Main Street and train depot. Well run, friendly. Would stay again, in fact I look forward to it.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms. Some have windows and some interior rooms do not.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you Bob for your glowing review of the General Palmer Hotel. Our entire staff is dedicated to helping you have the best vacation ever. Glad that we were a part of making that happen!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Beautifully done, lovely comfortable beds. We stayed in room 206 for three nights in June. We could see the old steam trains go by in the morning and return at night, as we had a lovely view from our room as we had two very big windows. The only thing that let this great quality hotel down was the inferior breakfast. |Not what you would expect from a quality hotel such as this one. There was a couple of breakfast cereals, fruit loaf, muffins, waffles, jams,yoghurt, but no bread, boiled eggs, or fruit salad which is a shame really. Apart from that there you could not fault the place. So central for the durango railway, which we went on to silverton. The station is almost next door to the hotel which is great after a full day out on the train, & on return a cup of hotels lovely coffee which was always on offer. We would definately highly recommend this hotel & if in the area would stay again for sure.

Room Tip: great views of steam trains from room 206
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The Hotel is beautiful, I was so happy to stay there, but do not get room 302, because there is a skylight window in the ceiling, and there is stain glass top window on top of the door. The light comes in at night into the room, from the stainglass window in the door, from the light in the hallway, they keep it on all night, and in the morning, the room lights up with the sun rise. Also, there is a connecting room that you can hear everything they are doing, the door is in that room. Other than that, this room is only for one person, it is a murphy bed full, and one person had to sleep on the floor. These hotels are super nice, and the people are super nice, but next time I rent in a hotel like this, I will ask more about these rooms. Because the problem is that they are older hotels, so all their rooms are not the same, and that is one thing when renting older hotels like these, the traveler should look out for. But I still fell lucky to have stayed in this landmark hotel. And, Durango, is a beautiful town. If you get a change to go to the Pagosa SPrings Resort, one hour away, it is so nice there, and also in Silverton go to see the Mine. I love Durango.

Room Tip: Check which room you are going to stay, all the rooms in these older hotels are not the same, the ho...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review on your stay here at the General Palmer Hotel. Actually I believe the room you stayed in was room number 311, it does have a skylight and one full sized Murphy style bed, with a transom window over the door. We are in the process of re=thinking the transom windows possibly adding a curtain or shade that our guests may choose to draw closed. We love getting all reviews as it helps us to address necessary changes.
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Going to Durango I wanted to be able to experience that old western atmosphere and the General Palmer does just that! Small enough to be comfortable and the moment you step in you can picture yourself back in the 1880's. Continental breakfast was good too. If your looking for a nice up to date bed with the modern amenities and comfort then don't go here, you shouldn't be expecting some sleep number mattress. A MUST STAY! Also in a can't beat location.

• 3 of 5 stars
phoenix arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We just returned from a road trip in which we stayed in Durango for 2 nights at the General Palmer. I am not one to stay at or enjoy older hotels, however, this place is wonderful. We checked in late and were no sure what we were getting as 2 other hotels we stopped at were booked. We were pleasantly surprised especially for the value price. Now this hotel is over 100 years old- so the layout and room sizes reflect this. We had an interior room which was very small- I think the exterior rooms are larger- but this was no big deal. Everything from the teddy bear on the bed, the linens, the fine china at the breakfast, the antique lamps and decor...were wonderful. I was surprised how quite it was most likely because this is not a family type place so no kids running the halls or slamming doors. The overall location is perfect in walking distance to all shops and eats. While this is not generally my type of place- I loved it and I will be back!

Room Tip: Exterior are larger than interior. Elevator out the whole stay so lower room may be better if you h...
1 Thank rawtravel
Paula N, Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, it is nice to know that we have helped our guests to enjoy their stay at the hotel and in Durango.
Cheers, Paula

Paula N. Nelson
Prosser, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Went to celebrate my birthday in Durango, and chose the General Palmer. Well, when I arrived there I was greeted very politely from the bell man, then checked in promptly by the courtesy desk clerk. The hospitality shown from Alena, and Brandon, along with the other polite desk clerks & bell men were outstanding! I felt welcomed from the moment i walked thru their doors. Accommodations were fabulous. They made my stay with them alot more enjoyable because of their great attention they gave me with helping me out due to the fact that i'm a disabled man who cannot walk well. I loved the baked warm cookies and tea every afternoon, that they had down in the lobby. I truly loved the comfy bed and the nicely appointed room with great amenities. My favorite place in the hotel is the outside patio where you can relax on comfortable furniture, and it also provided for spectacular views of the town. The continental breakfast suited my taste and was very satisfying. Before I departed on Monday June 4th, I personally had to speak with Paula, who is the General Mgr. of the hotel and expressed to her that I was very pleased with my stay, and how well I was treated by the employees. Thank you General Palmer Hotel for providing me with "Outstanding service" in making my 47th birthday a memorable one!!

Room Tip: I chose the 3rd floor due to the fact that I don't like being below another room in a hotel. My...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mark L
Good Morning,
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a glowing review, and I am happy to hear that my staff was so gracious and caring. Most of all I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Sincerely, Paula

Paula N. Nelson
denver, co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We just returned from a 2 night stay at The General Palmer Hotel and absolutely loved it! Although it is quite old it did not feel like it. The rooms were in excellent condition and beautifully decorated in Victorian style. The bedding and towels were high quality and comfortable. Our room faced the street and we did not have a problem with noise. You could hear a few motorcycles go by but by 10pm it was pretty quiet.

The staff was very accommodating and went out of their way to assist us with our bags and other needs. Unfortunately I left my son's medicine at the hotel (which needs to be refrigerated) and the General Manager arranged for it to be properly shipped back to me. She couldn't have been nicer.

We loved the old elevator, the cookies and tea in the afternoon, the teddy bears on the beds and in the lobby, and the complimentary breakfast far exceeded my expectations (fresh muffins, yogurt, oatmeal, waffles, and scones).

I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend The General Palmer!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family