$158
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$201
$180
Doubletree.com
Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
$166
$160
$196
$162
$179
Homewood
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$162
ComfortInn
Hampton Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$179
Hampton.com
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
$141
$132
Strater Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
$187
All reviewslone spur cafetrain stationpalace wingteddy bearsthe main hotelcd playercontinental breakfastpresidential suiteinterior roomvictorian decorcookiesmain streetcharming hotelnoise from the streetstained glasstiny elevatorkeurig coffee maker
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Going to Durango I wanted to be able to experience that old western atmosphere and the General Palmer does just that! Small enough to be comfortable and the moment you step in you can picture yourself back in the 1880's. Continental breakfast was good too. If your looking for a nice up to date bed with the modern amenities and comfort then don't go here, you shouldn't be expecting some sleep number mattress. A MUST STAY! Also in a can't beat location.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We just returned from a road trip in which we stayed in Durango for 2 nights at the General Palmer. I am not one to stay at or enjoy older hotels, however, this place is wonderful. We checked in late and were no sure what we were getting as 2 other hotels we stopped at were booked. We were pleasantly surprised especially for the value price. Now this hotel is over 100 years old- so the layout and room sizes reflect this. We had an interior room which was very small- I think the exterior rooms are larger- but this was no big deal. Everything from the teddy bear on the bed, the linens, the fine china at the breakfast, the antique lamps and decor...were wonderful. I was surprised how quite it was most likely because this is not a family type place so no kids running the halls or slamming doors. The overall location is perfect in walking distance to all shops and eats. While this is not generally my type of place- I loved it and I will be back!

Room Tip: Exterior are larger than interior. Elevator out the whole stay so lower room may be better if you have a lot of baggage.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rawtravel
Paula N, Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, it is nice to know that we have helped our guests to enjoy their stay at the hotel and in Durango.
Cheers, Paula

Paula N. Nelson

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Went to celebrate my birthday in Durango, and chose the General Palmer. Well, when I arrived there I was greeted very politely from the bell man, then checked in promptly by the courtesy desk clerk. The hospitality shown from Alena, and Brandon, along with the other polite desk clerks & bell men were outstanding! I felt welcomed from the moment i walked thru their doors. Accommodations were fabulous. They made my stay with them alot more enjoyable because of their great attention they gave me with helping me out due to the fact that i'm a disabled man who cannot walk well. I loved the baked warm cookies and tea every afternoon, that they had down in the lobby. I truly loved the comfy bed and the nicely appointed room with great amenities. My favorite place in the hotel is the outside patio where you can relax on comfortable furniture, and it also provided for spectacular views of the town. The continental breakfast suited my taste and was very satisfying. Before I departed on Monday June 4th, I personally had to speak with Paula, who is the General Mgr. of the hotel and expressed to her that I was very pleased with my stay, and how well I was treated by the employees. Thank you General Palmer Hotel for providing me with "Outstanding service" in making my 47th birthday a memorable one!!

Room Tip: I chose the 3rd floor due to the fact that I don't like being below another room in a hotel. My room on the 3rd floor was very quiet, which was what I was hoping for!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mark L

Good Morning,
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a glowing review, and I am happy to hear that my staff was so gracious and caring. Most of all I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Sincerely, Paula

Paula N. Nelson

Reviewed June 8, 2012

We just returned from a 2 night stay at The General Palmer Hotel and absolutely loved it! Although it is quite old it did not feel like it. The rooms were in excellent condition and beautifully decorated in Victorian style. The bedding and towels were high quality and comfortable. Our room faced the street and we did not have a problem with noise. You could hear a few motorcycles go by but by 10pm it was pretty quiet.

The staff was very accommodating and went out of their way to assist us with our bags and other needs. Unfortunately I left my son's medicine at the hotel (which needs to be refrigerated) and the General Manager arranged for it to be properly shipped back to me. She couldn't have been nicer.

We loved the old elevator, the cookies and tea in the afternoon, the teddy bears on the beds and in the lobby, and the complimentary breakfast far exceeded my expectations (fresh muffins, yogurt, oatmeal, waffles, and scones).

I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend The General Palmer!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kara77
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Durango has two historic hotels, The General Palmer and The Strater. Both are well located in the historic part of town, and you can walk to restaurants and shops.

The General Palmer is beautiful. It has been renovated and is well appointed. The rooms are lovely with many amenities: toiletries, hair dryer, iron, Keurig coffee maker. They have a coffee bar in the lobby and cookies are available in the afternoon.

We found the hotel overall to be a worthwhile experience, but there were a few things that detracted from a 100% positive review:

1. Our room was very small.
2. The lighting is harsh. Clear bulbs are used and the old fashioned glass shades do not soften the glare. The bed side fixture had 3 60 watt bulbs on one side and 1 on the other. We turned on the vanity light when watching tv.
3. The room was not dark for sleeping. Light came in around the door, and lots of light came in from the street. Our window abutted the neon sign, so not good.
4. The breakfast was OK, but certainly not as good as we had hoped. Oatmeal, cereal, juice, muffins, toast, yogurt.

Other people complained about the noise, but we were there on a Monday and had no problems.

So, we enjoyed our stay because it is a beautiful historic hotel, but would not stay again. Of the two, we prefer The Strater. Beautiful renovation (if you don't stay there, do stop in and see the lobby), nice rooms, and much better hot breakfast.

Room Tip: They do have inside rooms without a window. If you need it dark to sleep, check out this option.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple