“Victorian and convienient” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Durango
Reno, Nevada
“Victorian and convienient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at the General Palmer Hotel for three nights. It was in a very convienient location. The main building was a beautiful Victorian gem. As a splurge we reserved a king bed room which was in an adjacent building - the Palace building. The room was also done in a Victorian style with modern updates in the bathroom. There was also the addition of a wall mounted air conditioning unit - but it never really put out what I would call cold air - and having lived in San Antonio on and off for the last 20 years I am in to air conditioning. Fortunately there was also a ceiling fan and that stayed on high speed the whole time we were there! The bed was super comfortable although it was very high - I guess that's a Victorian "thing" - but being short, it was difficult for me to get up on that bed. I felt like I had to back up a couple of feet and take a running leap to get up on it....maybe a small set of steps?!? The free continental breakfast was passable - the coffee was good - very important since all these tour groups want to pick you up at 8:00 am. The front desk personnel were always helpful - we forgot to fill up our water containers one morning - and the woman behind the desk took them to the back and filled them for us.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Arlington Heights, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on the tail end of our trip through Colorado. We chose it over the seemingly popular Strater Hotel due to its fairly reasonable price, reviews indicating a quieter night’s sleep, and inclusive breakfast. On the plus side, the General Palmer is conveniently located near the railroad museum and only a couple blocks of a walk, if that, to quaint bars and restaurants. On the not-so-plus-side, this hotel could use some upgrades on customer service. We paid more for our room here than at the posh luxury condominium/hotel we rented in Telluride and so expected excellent service. While the check-in staff was courteous and friendly, we had a not so impressive experience with the staff the morning of our complimentary breakfast. The check-in staff indicated that breakfast would be served from I think it was 6:00 am to 10:00 pm. We arrived in the communal dining area at 8:45 to find only stale oatmeal, no bread or bagels, an empty coffee pot, and no gravy for the few hardened biscuits camping out in the hotel pan. With no wait staff in sight, my husband ventured to the lobby to inform the desk clerk of the absence of breakfast fare. He was met with less than a friendly, apologetic, nor accommodating attitude. I think he said, “She’s doing the best she can.” This may have been true, but it I believe this isn’t an acceptable response to a failed delivery of a promised, and paid for, amenity.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Valdez
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

The General Palmer Hotel is a great place! Staff are courteous, rooms are very clean and the hotel is located ideally in the heart of downtown Durango within easy walking distance of just about everything! Also, the lobby and furnishings throughout are great!
The only that could stand a bit of improvement would be the selections available of the continental breakfast provided - just a few more things (like fresh fruit) would make it perfect.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Willcox, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed two nights. The place was immaculately clean, presented well, the staff could not have been more accomodating. We would most certainly stay there again!! Five stars!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We spent two nights at the General Palmer Hotel earlier this week and were pleasantly surprised. I don't normally enjoy older "period" hotels but this was comfortable, very well-appointed, and immaculate.

The only room for us was in the "other building" next to the train station. I was originally dismayed after reading some of the reviews but the room was just fine. The train noise might be a deal-breaker for some but it inspired us to get out of bed and start our day. There is a lovely continental breakfast with muffins, breads, fruit, yogurt, cereals, and oatmeal.

The staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel is centrally located. My only complaint is the lack of hot water in the shower.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Argyle,Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have stayed at both hotels two times each.

They are one block apart so there is no difference in location.

Which one should yo9u stay t ? That depends upon what is important to you.

For me....I like the air conditioner to work really well.
And I like a real parking lot that is hassle free.
The General Palmer has both of those.

Parking at the Strater is a royal pain in the rear and I AC is not up to par at all.

Those two things way heavily in my decision making. Thus, I will never stay at the Strater Hotel again.

I have been in Durango now 4 days and I have gone to the Strater Hotel every night for drinks and entertainment.. I love the music and food.

The G. Palmer must have teh worlds smallest elevator in the world. Old people do nto like this elevator. I can assure you of that.

The Strater Hotel has a much better breakfast. The G Palmers is worse in my opinion that a Motel 8.

Both are pricey....so no real difference there either.

The G.Palmer has no entertainment....which is no big deal to me. I like the AC and the Parking.

Front desk staff is nice at both places. Housekeeping does a great job too.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank CaptainFB
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I really wanted to love this hotel, but I didn't right from the beginning of our stay. We booked (and paid for) a room with a queen size bed, but were put in a room with a double bed. That would have been okay with us if we had gotten charged for the double. Instead, the not-so-friendly girl at the front desk insisted that we were in a room with a queen size bed. I'm not blind -- and this was no queen size bed! We were informed that this was the only room available so we kept the room, but were charged the higher price! If I ever stay there again, I'll bring a tape measure along! Best part of the hotel is the aroma from the afternoon home made chocolate chip cookies that are put out for everyone to enjoy!

Room Tip: Bring a tape measure to prove to front desk person what size your bed is!