“..not worth the price. ....”

Trimble Hot Springs
Ranked #1 of 10 Spas & Wellness in Durango
More attraction details
Owner description: The only geothermal waters, day spa, and lodging resort in Durango, Colorado, Trimble Spa and Natural Hot Springs is open to the public year-round. Our mineral-rich hot pools are relaxing and therapeutic. Sooth sore muscles and detox in our saunas. Swim laps in the largest outdoor, heated Olympic-sized pool year round. Get the kinks out with massage and body treatment...Great for relaxation and therapeutic rehab.
Reviewed May 31, 2011

...don't waste your time.

It is a bit on the pricey side. The pool was too cold - the hot tub/springs were not at all what I expected. The bottom of the hot tub pool was brownish yellow, probably from the copper, but they can clean it - hasn't been cleaned or drained in years... Also, there is mold all around the hot tub pool. It's an insurance claim waiting to happen.

If you're older - like complete silence - do not want kids around - just want to ahhh relax and sit there, then this is the place for you. Otherwise - go to the Rec Center in Durango - the pool, etc are much nice and CHEAPER!!!!

1  Thank KUMtngal
philosophistical, General Manager at Trimble Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2011

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I would like to address your concerns one by one.

“It is a bit on the pricey side…”
Trimble prices are the least expensive among comparable businesses in our area, plus we offer several discounts by the day and month. A movie, box of popcorn, and a coke cost more than a full day at Trimble.

“The pool was too cold - the hot tub/springs were not at all what I expected.”
We did experience a lower than normal temperature in our pools on Sunday for approximately 2 hours due to a mechanical issue. We check our pool temps ever hour and post them by the cash register in the lobby. I'm sorry that this was not brought to your attention. To tell you the truth, since these are “natural” hot mineral waters, Mother Nature determines the temperature. Since we don’t artificially alter temperatures in our therapy pools, we regulate the flow of water volume to control temps; sometimes it takes more time than others to get to the optimum temps of about 103 and 107 and 81 in our Olympic pool.

“The bottom of the hot tub pool was brownish yellow, probably from the copper, but they can clean it - hasn't been cleaned or drained in years...”
Yes, there are times when the minerals in our geothermal water appear to be heavier, but I assure you that our pools are well-maintained. All of our pools are brushed and vacuumed every morning, and every Tuesday night after closing the geothermal pools are drained, pressure washed and sterilized. We believe that what you describe as mold may be algae, which usually is barely noticeable at the exit drain; but you may also be referring erroneously to a natural build-up of mineral deposits. When exposed to the air the minerals in our geothermal water become calcified and attach to the sides of the pools where the water laps up against the walls. Both mineral deposits and algae are inevitable occurrences in all natural mineral springs. Additionally, water samples of all pools are tested by the health department every month.

“The staff doesn't seem to care about unsatisfied customers - young college kids with an attitude. The life guard was rude telling our family that the kids couldn't make noise.”
Both of the employees you encountered that day have worked here for several years in different capacities. I have a meeting scheduled with both of them this morning to discuss your concerns. We all strive to offer outstanding customer service.

We are not sure what you mean by this, since Trimble is historically a family attraction. Summertime is very active with kids since we have the largest, outdoor, heated pool in the area. But, yes, Trimble is also a great place to relax in a quiet, clean, atmosphere much of year. Especially, early mornings, Thursday evenings, and fall and winter seasons. Please keep in mind the Rec. Center is paid for and subsidized by taxpayer dollars while Trimble is a small privately owned business.

Thank you for contacting us. If you would send your mailing address and the total amount you spent on admission, I would be happy to send you a refund check, along with some passes to Trimble.

Fran Dooan
Trimble Spa & Natural Hot Springs

Reviewed August 15, 2010

I went to this spa with a friend for a relaxing time in the hot springs and a facial treatment. We toured the facilities and it seemed very basic, but clean and quiet. We put on our robes and went off to the pool. The robes are very small and they just fit an average size person. Someone overweight might feel uncomfortable because the robe would not completely cover them.

After a nice soak in the hot springs we went in to have our treatments. I was scheduled for the honey face treatment and I was rather disappointed. The treatment is described as a "A soothing experience where your facial skin is first cleansed and then covered with moisturizing honey. A warm washcloth is used to gently open your pores and remove the honey. The final touch is the addition of a moisturizer to your face and a neck, shoulder and foot massage. " My cleansing was a lukewarm facecloth rubbed on my face followed by the honey. I received a scalp, neck and shoulder massage, but no foot massage. The foot massage was what I had been looking forward too! Once the massage was over another wet facecloth was rubbed on my face and then some moisturizer was applied. It was over in 30 minutes. Since all of the massages were 60 minutes we wrongly thought that the facials were 60 minutes as well. Our mistake, but a big dissapointment.

We walked back outside to see that the pool and hot springs area were now overrun with parents and children enjoying a day at the pool. While there is nothing wrong with that, little kids swimming in the hot springs in their diapers and floatees was not what I had in mind so we left.

If you do plan on going I would recommend you go early to use the hot springs before the families arrive and don't waste money on the facial treatments. I wish we had gotten massages. It was only $15.00 more than the face treatment and you got an additional 30 minutes of massage.

4  Thank CTHappyTraveler
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My family and I spent a week driving around Colorado. We were headed to Mesa Verde and planned to stop in Durango. We had been doing a lot of driving and so we decided an afternoon swim sounded just great and it was! The grounds are very nice and the mineral water felt great. We swam and just relaxed and read - it was very refreshing. On certain days they have some really great deals.

2  Thank GenericID
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I plan a nice romantic 1 week getaway and find this place on the internet. I contacted them, told them what I wanted and they convinced me that their Starlight suite would be perfect. Boy were they great liars! My wife and I arrive and I am convinced that we are at the wrong place because there was loud music outside, kids running around and that sort of thing, but alas no, it was the correct place. We are shown to our room (which had standing water in it) and given a tour of the grounds and the hot spring and well, there was nothing private about this place, unlike I had been assured over the phone. Our "private" hot tub, not so private either; under video surveillance, 20ft from the hot spring pool and the public. The attendants all leave the facility at 8pm, which funny enough is the exact time when we were told we would be the only ones allowed in the hot springs and the hot tub. Wrong! Apparently, as I would find out the following morning, I was supposed to know that I could kick all of these other people out of my private hot tub and hot spring, but they appeared to be staying there as guests as well. So what pissed me off the most was the next day when I try to explain how unsatisfactory my stay was, they tell me I have to give them 48 hours notice to cancel, which was a lie because I asked about that the night before and was told it would be 24 hour notice which I gave to the lady right then because I could tell right away that I was not about to spend the whole week there.

1  Thank ategard
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My wife and I desperately needed some serious relaxation and Trimble Hot Springs defintely provided it. We only used the springs and the sauna so cannot honestly review the spa services/swimming pool. Trimble has 2 hot springs, one warm and one HOT! 20 minutes in the hot, a few in the warm and 15 in the sauna left us feeling perfectly at peace with the world. The price of admission to the springs (which includes use of the Olympic sized-swimming pool and the sauna) buys entry for the whole day and at $16-$18 is worth every minute.