Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company
from $41.34
from $62.54
from $51.00
from $71.00
More Info
All reviews the river lower animas half day trip great guide class rapids great trip these guys inflatable kayaks great rafting white water super fun rafting adventure water level first timers a lot of fun the bus whole family
Reviewed June 5, 2016 via mobile

We went rafting for the first time yesterday and we had a blast.. Andy G, Jeremy and the other guides were great very knowledgeable, safe and made sure our experience on the water was awesome. Jeremy was our guide he was great, he was very friendly, he told us about places to go eat and other fun stuff to do in town. He made sure we had a great adventure.. Steven the bus driver got us to and from the river safe.. BUT if you want pictures of your experience take them yourself!!! I love to have pictures of our adventures so I asked a few times if I can take a camera and they said yes but we have someone on the river to capture exciting moments.. They said they take about 40 some pictures so I went off that and didn't take a camera.. We get back to their shop all excited to see our pictures and they have NO pictures of us.. The girl at the desk said "Oh I guess she missed your guys raft.. Sorry". Like it was no big deal and to me it is a big deal, I'm very disappointed!!!!We booked and paid for 7 people but only 5 showed up and we knew company policy about no refunds so we didn't even say anything about that.. If they want their customers to have an all around enjoyable experience they need to teach their front desk staff to be as friendly and helpful as their guides..

Date of experience: June 2016
RiverJames, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2016

I agree with you 100% and am glad you took the time to tell us because one review like this is worth a hundred "five star-awesome time-awesome company reviews". This is something we can and have already improved upon at the company level based on your review. And for anyone reading this, I strongly recommend speaking with a manager or the owner when something like this impacts your experience to that level. We strive to make these great teaching experiences that can become awesome customer service experiences. I would have, and offer now, to take you rafting again on us to get those pictures. I apologize that our office person did not take better ownership of the situation because that is very much our emphasis in training both in the office, with the drivers and with our guides which I am happy to hear were great. Thank You!

Reviewed June 2, 2016

I had such a great time rafting with Mountain Waters Rafting, I am definitely going back for more. I did the 1 Day Upper Animas Needleton Stretch, Class III-IV, 12 miles. I loved the train ride, but I was also happy to do it just for 2 hours instead of the 8-hour normal train ride if done alone. The scenery there is breathtaking. Mountain Waters Rafting staff went out of their way to make sure we had a fun, safe and unforgettable experience. The guides are awesome: experienced, professional and fun. I felt safe at all times. There was another boat up front of us with a rescue crew in case somebody fell, nobody did :) All equipment needed is provided. The lunch is included, it was delicious, fresh, and healthy. I got a deli tortilla sandwich with fine fresh choices of cheeses and hams, avocados, purple onions, tomatoes... cut and prepared right in front of you. They asked the day before, at the orientation, if we had any special dietary requests, such as vegetarian or food allergies, which was really nice. Snacks were provided before and after the rafting as well. I particularly loved the grapes. The water level was really good (not too low, not too high) on 5/30/16, it was cold though (about 45`F), but the suits provided are thick, so it wasn't a big deal for me. It actually added more excitement and adrenaline to my ride because I am like a cat when it comes to cold water. I got to see in action several guides, all of them amazing: Erin, John, Doug, and James. (I am missing one more guide, I forgot his name) All of them highly recommended. Thank you guys <3
Tips:
- If you are adventurous and want to get some adrenaline, take a package that is at least Class III waters and/or above. However, don't pass Class IV if it's your first time.
- If you are really into photos take a little water proof camera with you. I left all my electronics at home. I am not an experienced rafter, so I was more concerned with not falling than taking pictures lol, but there was an experienced guy on my boat who was able to shoot here and there.
- Dress with clothes that will dry up fast and take a sweater and an extra pair of socks and leave them along with your shoes and keys in the crew's bag right before the raft starts. The socks I wore got wet, so I end up wearing my shoes with no socks the way back, not a big deal. My clothes dried in our way back to Durango, and I was glad to have a dry jacket with me. On my next rafting, I will try to put my sweater, keys and extra sucks in a ziploc or plastic bag just to keep them together and away from all the shoes in the crew's bag.
- If you do the package with the train ride, they sell margaritas on board, take cash with you if you want some cocktails in your way back.

Date of experience: May 2016
RiverJames, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2016

Nailed It! I've got nothing to add other than the snow pack is as good as it gets for the high adventure rafting for this season on the Upper Animas, don't miss it!

Reviewed May 31, 2016

I booked a group trip for a group of 8 over the holiday weekend based on our previous (Salt River, AZ) experience with our guide, Bama. He made my wife who was a little nervous, feel very comfortable with a half day trip in Durango. During the smoother sections of the river, Bama pointed out some of the city's historical landmarks and recommended some local bars/restaurants for our group to try out. His local knowledge, river expertise and friendly attitude will keep our group coming back to Durango and Mountain Waters Rafting.

Date of experience: May 2016

Bama and all of our guides are crushing it in two states! Follow them from the Salt River just hours from Phoenix in March and April, then into the summer here in Durango from May thru August. Thanks for the review Kyle, we're Big Bama Fans Too!

Reviewed May 29, 2016 via mobile

This was a super fun experience. All of the staff were very friendly. Cody was our raft guide and for his 1st week on the river he was great. Very personable and informative about the river. We felt safe the whole time, like you would have to try to fall out of the boat most of the trip. We will definitely be back and will raft with them again. Highly recommended!

Date of experience: May 2016
RiverJames, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2016

A commercial rafting career couldn't start better than getting a review on you very first trip, WOW! Thank You.

Reviewed May 28, 2016

My husband and I went on a river run down the Piedra River- the lower box section-with Mountain Waters today. WOW! Highly recommended! The guides were interested in our safety foremost! The river is wild and wonderful! The beauty cannot be matched. This was a thrilling & awesome experience that we will never forget! Thanks Elliot, Roger, Terrick and Skippie!!!!

1  Thank JenBru

Thank You. The Piedra is certainly a favorite of our guides and we are glad you loved it too. 2016 is shaping up to be one of the best Piedra run offs in years, come get some!