Open today: 7:00 AM - 9:00 PM

More Info
from $161.67
More Info
1,492 results
All reviews the river lower animas half day trip great guide class rapids great trip great rafting white water these guys super fun rafting adventure a lot of fun first timers water level year olds the bus fun experience
Selected filters
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We did the family oriented Lower Animas river rafting on our first day in Durango. Beau was our guide and was entertaining. The photos were great. The older kids 11 & 12 wanted a bit more adventure but were not old enough to take a class III/IV trip. MWR recommended the same Lowe Animas trip but in inflatable kayaks. 11 year olds were with the adults in tandem kayaks and the 12 year olds had their own singles. Rhee was our cool, laid-back and calming guide. The kids loved it as it was more challenging in the kayaks. It hailed on us at the beginning of the trip but was a part of the 'adventure'. A great time!

Date of experience: July 2014
MountainWatersRaftin, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Thanks for writing Jim and I am glad you found Rea to be the cool, laid-back and calming guide while the kids enjoyed the challenge of the Inflatable Kayaks. Sounds like they will be ready for Rockwood soon!

Reviewed August 2, 2014

My son and I loved this full day adventure and opportunity to see beautiful rock walls, breathtaking rapids and view of an area you can only get to by raft. The 1.5 hour Durango Silverton train trip gives one a taste of this old steam engine train before your 7 mile rafting trip through narrow rock walls, class III-IV rapids with a terrific guide and safety crew. With just 3 of us on the raft, my son and I certainly had the opportunity to really work through this river and rapids. Andy was a knowledgeable, courteous, friendly guide and the 3 other safety crew were great to talk with and get to know. Would recommend this trip to those who want some real work while rafting through gorgeous rock walls and river. So worth it. Also, Andy fed us a healthy lunch and I so appreciate that!

Date of experience: July 2014

Thank you Jackie! I would say Rockwood is THE best all around trip in the state of Colorado based on the scenery, Class IV rapids, and riding the 1882 Historic Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Train to the put-in. Andy and the crew rock Rockwood, thanks for writing.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We just did a 4 hour trip on the lower Animas river. It was myself, my husband and our two kids (11 and 13). Mark May was our guide and he was fabulous! I was nervous taking my kids rafting, but it was obvious that safety was a priority with this group. We were with another family and Mark was great at involving everyone. Highly, highly recommend Mountain Waters. Can't wait to come back. Thanks for an amazing trip!

Date of experience: August 2014
MountainWatersRaftin, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time out to give Mark the thumbs up Kelly. I love it when our rookie guides become seasoned pros over the course of just a short summer on the river. Mark is out there everyday making Mountain Waters safe and looking great, cheers!

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had so much fun spending a beautiful summer afternoon rafting with these outstanding guides. The best part of our trip was seeing Durango from another view and getting a local's perspective of life in Durango, CO from our awesome guide Mark. These folks are professional, fun and very knowledgable and I would highly recommend booking an exciting afternoon along the Animas river with Mountain Waters Rafting.

2  Thank Michele68P
MountainWatersRaftin, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Professional, fun and knowledgeable! Music to my ears Michelle, sounds like Mark has been paying real good attention to our company goals and staff agenda and I appreciate you taking the time to let the Mountain Waters Crew know, thank you.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I booked a full day adventure rafting trip for my son and me to cap off a trip into Chicago Basin to climb Windom Peak. I had heard that Mountain Waters was the top outfitter in town for Class IV-V rafting. We were not disappointed.

Everyone at Mountain Waters was friendly and helpful. Safety was a big concern so they reiterated time and time again what to do and what not to do. For these trips, you have to attend an orientation the evening prior to setting out.

The trip begins by taking the scenic Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad up towards Silverton. When the train stops for water at a remote water tank, the rafting crew and customers unload along with all the rafts and gear. The rafts are aired up and we changed into our wetsuits, helmets and PFDs. Everything is strapped down tight in drybags, because the rest of the day is serious soak-time. Jesse was our guide and did a terrific job at keeping us in line as a crew and entertained. We stopped for a great deli lunch part-way down. While on the water it is almost constant fun and action, either getting through some crazy rapids or enjoying the unbelievable scenery.

After taking out at the last possible place, all the gear is deflated and packed up for a strenuous hike out to a waiting truck. MW asks the guests to help pack out, but it's not required. The gear is heavy and unwieldy....we aren't talking about backpacks here. The rafts weigh 115lbs and the oars and other equipment were heavy as well. My son volunteered to pack out a raft, which MW's crew appreciated. No complaints here, as the hike out was clearly stated in the trip info. It was just part of the awesome experience.

Jesse, Andy and Edith from Mountain Waters were great to float with the entire day. If we go back to Durango, we will do this trip again.

2  Thank StevePerkinsJr

Super sweet to hear Steve! The Rockwood Box on the Upper Animas is in my opinion one of the top 3 river trips in the state. Taking the Historic Durango-Silverton Train from 1882 to the river, unloading the box cars and assembling the rafts, running a narrow gorge that can only be accessed by river and then that hike out with all the gear just making everyone prove they really deserved it, what a day! Our crew really has it down and thanks for giving Jesse, Edith and Andy the press time they deserve, the trip is only as good as the guides, and they are outstanding. Thank you and see ya next time.