“Excellent Service, Safety & Experience”

Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company
Book In Advance
More Info
$41.34*
and up
Economy Durango River Rafting Trip
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Since 1981! Family & High Adventure Rafting, 4x4 Jeep Trail Tours, Mesa Verde National Park Tours, Official Durango Silverton Train Raft & Rail Package, Zip Line, Rock Climbing, Bicycle & SUP Rentals, Value Packages, Group, Military & Senior Discounts.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I were staying in Durango and wanted a fairly intense trip that did not require much driving to get there. We did the lower box canyon on the Piedra River and had a great time. The guide and team were very personal as well as extremely knowledgeable. They emphasized safety the entire time and my wife felt comfortable as it was her first rafting experience. Overall, we felt this was an excellent trip at a great cost led by a wonderful team.

Date of experience: May 2014
MountainWatersRaftin, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

The Piedra is known locally as the "Gem of the San Juans" or in my mind, one of THE prettiest rivers in a state full of outstanding scenery. And the Class IV Lower Box Canyon has a 1 mile stretch with six significant rapids: Carney Falls, Big Drop, Wall Slammer, Son of Mud, Mudslide and Meat Grinder. Thanks for writing this review Justin.

All reviews
in 36 reviews
"whole family"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Our family wanted a nice short trip to introduce our daughter to rafting. Mountain waters economy 2 hr trip was a great way to do that. The staff and our guide was upbeat and positive. Plus we got to ride with Mountain Waters rafting dog, Atlas, at the head of our raft. My family loves dogs, so his presence was a treat and made the trip unique. The rapids were big enough to be exciting, but not scary to our kids, so they said they wanted to try a longer trip next time.

Date of experience: May 2014
MountainWatersRaftin, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Atlas thanks YOU for taking him rafting and is super stoked that your daughter likes rafting as much as he does. The economy trip and the Animas River is really great for introducing people to rafting and we look forward (as does Atlas) to having you on our half day trip next time. Thank you for writing a review for Mountain Waters Rafting!

Reviewed May 26, 2014

This place was awesome, very friendly James the owner was honest about river conditions and even helped us out on price. The safety that MWR implemented was great and MWR is the safest rafting company ive ever used in Durango, Elliott was our raft guide and he was the best, (The Next Juan IMO), He was super knowledgeable about the history along the river, personable, and had a respect and understanding about the river. Loved rafting down the Animas river with him. Going to ask for him by name in the future.

Date of experience: May 2014

That is great to hear! Dan, Alix and I take a lot of time training our office staff to accurately and honestly sell the right trip. Eliot is the kind of guide who epitomizes our philosophy as a company focusing on safety first while being a part of the Mountain Waters family that we think comprise the most competent and knowledgeable guides on the river. Cheers, James Wilkes, Owner.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

My best friends and I decided to make our way to Durango for a quick weekend of adventure. We all decided that white water rafting was something we've wanted to do but, the water out here on the Rio Grande wasn't anything worth trying. We booked these guys because their pricing was fantastic and had a great variety of tours to choose from. We had no idea they were just across the parking lot of where we were staying at the DoubleTree! We had the 3 hours Lower Animas tour last Friday and had Doug as our guide. They're very personable. They know how to form a bond with their customers without being overly formal with everything. I had never done white water rafting so I didn't know much about it beyond what everyone else knows. You have a raft, you have paddles and you get wet. I had no idea that I was in for as much fun nor did I realize what amazing scenery we'd have while participating. They make sure that they ensure your safety as well. We were able to joke around with Doug and one another without feeling awkward about anything. The tour was well worth it! Now, I just need to see when I can try to get in for a class IV adventure!

Date of experience: May 2014
RiverJames, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

That's our man Doug! Definitely not overly formal but a total pro. If he can't put you at ease and make you feel safe, then you probably need professional counseling:) Glad you and your friends loved the trip and we look forward to seeing you again on that Class IV adventure. And if you liked the scenery in town, you won't believe what it is like on the Upper Animas and Piedra Rivers out of town.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My wife and I visited Durango on our anniversary trip and had a blast on the half-day rafting trip. We went in the first week of May and had good river conditions and pleasant weather. Our veteran guide Jaime handled the raft deftly in my opinion, and she also pointed out a few historical features on the way. Our 4th rafting member was Atlas the Akita, who was super calm the whole time and apparently took a liking to me - licked my face once. Good thing my wife isn't the jealous type.

I wholeheartedly recommend this experience to anyone interested in rafting. the level 2/3 rapids are exciting without being overwhelming, and otherwise it's a calm cruise down the river. I also recommend renting the wetsuit gear in the spring, as well as making sure you apply sunscreen before leaving the parking lot. I forgot and turned into a lobster, unfortunately.

All in all, fun times were had by all!

Date of experience: May 2014
MountainWatersRaftin, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thanks Nathan, my buddy Atlas remembers you guys and gave you that lick in sympathy for the sun burning he noticed you were getting. Great to hear you enjoyed the trip and thanks for the tips to one and all about wetsuits, sunscreen and the nature of the wonderful Animas River. Hope to see you again, cheers!