“Great experience on the Animas River!”

Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company
Book In Advance
More Info
$59.00*
and up
Family Friendly Animas River Raft Trip
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Since 1981! Family & High Adventure Rafting, 4x4 Jeep Trail Tours, Mesa Verde National Park Tours, Official Durango Silverton Train Raft & Rail Package, Zip Line, Rock Climbing, Bicycle & SUP Rentals, Value Packages, Group, Military & Senior Discounts.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience on the Animas River!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Awesome way to experience the Animas River when staying in Durango. We were fortunate to have an awesome guide in Kady! Pick up and and drop off right next to Double Tree.
From what we could see of other rafting tours, we definitely picked the right company. Our guides were great!

Visited July 2013
MountainWatersRaftin, Owner at Mountain Waters Rafting & Adventure Company, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
It's clients like you who make Kady and all of us look forward to each day on the river, thanks for taking the time to recommend Mountain Waters Rafting.

Cape May, New Jersey
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“First Time Float”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

At the time of this trip southwestern Colorado was experiencing a drought so we had about 2 tiny rapids & got caught up on rocks a lot. Our guide Bailey knew the Animas River well & had an upbeat personality which made our first time raft trip a great experience. Can't wait to try it again hopefully with more rapids. The 2 hour raft tour was a great value.

Visited June 2013
Bailey is upbeat AND unique. She is a great river guide and great in the office which is kind of like being a great pitcher and great hitter in baseball, kinda rare and super special. Thank you for writing!
“Great trip!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We went on a kayaking trip yesterday, it was awesome. Our guide was great. The only small complaint I had was that they put the three of us in kayaks out with three regular rafts. The raft kept getting stuck and just being kind of slow in general. We had to keep hanging back to stay out of the way of the rafts which got a little tiresome. Might have been better if they had sent the rafts out about 15 minutes a head of us as we had our own guide anyway. Overall the company was great, equipment was great, and our guide Kelly was excellent. All of the staff was great and very personable. Would definitely book another trip with this company in the future.

Visited July 2013
Congratulations for making it into the exclusive 1% club. I know that term is loaded these days, but having a group of kayakers who do as well as you did is about, you guessed it, 1%! Please do a snow dance for us this winter so we don't see water as low as you did this year and thanks for writing.
Ouray, Colorado
“Super lovely guides!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Well organized, equipment in great shape, very well instructed. We rented a tandem kayak as newbies and had so much fun. Guides were super nice. We can't wait to go again!

Visited July 2013
It's super lovely "newbies" like you that inspire us to keep our equipment in great shape, give good instruction and be well organized so that you have a super lovely time on the river. Thanks for writing and see you next year!
Niwot, Colorado
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Fun on the Lower Animas”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family and I just returned from a quick weekend in Durango. I am a native, so we return regularly, but this was the first time in years we have made time for an adventure on the river. I talked to the office at MWR ahead of time, and determined the water would just be too low for rafting, since even my youngest son had rafted several times. We decided on the inflatable kayaks, to add a little excitement. It was a great decision! My youngest son (11) was in a tandem kayak with my husband, and my oldest son (17) and I were in kayaks on our own. I was a bit concerned that I would have problems (not being as adventurous or athletic as the rest of my boys) but it wasn't a problem. The water level was very low, so it made for a lot of paddling and a lot of guiding the kayak to avoid getting hung up on rocks. What we would call a "technical" paddle rather than a wild ride. You had to pay attention and you definitely had to use your arm muscles! Rocks were constant obstacles, and not much fun to get caught up on. My husband felt the tandem kayak was a lot more difficult to handle than a single would have been, and I tend to agree. Bottom line, though, if you are up for trying something new, and not looking for someone else to do all the work, give the kayaks a try!! I was the only one in the group that rolled my kayak and ended up fully dunked in the water, but I think everyone came close. Our guide, Meleana, was very personable and immediately came to my rescue when I ended up stranded after rolling. She was a lot of fun to talk to and I felt she knew what she was doing. Definitely worth trying if you have an empty morning in Durango and you want a memorable adventure!!

Visited July 2013
Welcome back locals! That is so cool you got your kids out on the river challenging them to be independent and enjoy the outdoors. I'm glad to hear Meleana was your johnny on the spot when you went for an unexpected "out of boating" experience. She is awesome, knows what she is doing and is happy to hear she made a memorable adventure for the local Durango family.